Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:58:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Crowdfunding(Open Source) - Pledge 165 BTC  (Read 12740 times)
fabianhjr (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Do The Evolution

View Profile
January 01, 2011, 02:59:26 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2011, 10:33:45 PM by fabianhjr

Crowdfunding at a glance: It is a collective cooperation to fund a venture/project. It is pooling the money so _something_ gets done. A great example of this at work is Kickstarter.
So the requirements are:
  • Must be able to act as a escrow(Get onsite credits which = 1 BTC)
  • Meet the deadline or money returned to backers
  • Blogging capabilities with good access control over backers; Ex. A backer that gave 20 coins would not have the same access as someone who gave 200
  • Customizable rewards; This should also facilitate pre-selling.
  • Must use a design documents since an early stage post it here or a link to it; Regular updates are encouraged and not required

Design Documents:
none yet

Participants:
none yet

Pledges:
fabianhjr:10.00 BTC
Bimmerhead:20.00 BTC
brucewagner:100.00 BTC
Ed:35.00 BTC

Total:165.00 BTC
USD Approximate:600 USD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2011, 05:13:40 AM

This script isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it is an interesting spin on it:

http://www.guruscript.com/startups.php

Basically people with bitcoin business proposals would post them at the site, and everybody pledges funding and votes on which proposal they would like to see funded first.  The funding goes to the winner.

Given that we are still a small community, this might be something to consider.  Instead of having 10 partially funded projects, at least one project would eventually get fully funded and launched.

Sorry if this is a hijack of your thread. Undecided
fabianhjr (OP)

Do The Evolution

View Profile
January 01, 2011, 05:37:10 AM

Don't worry, though, what I am pleading for an FOSS solution which is based around Bitcoin. Wanna pledge?

Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2011, 03:41:25 PM

Sure, put me down for 20 BTC
fabianhjr (OP)

Do The Evolution

View Profile
January 01, 2011, 04:14:31 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2011, 02:06:47 AM by fabianhjr

There you are.; Thanks for the pledge. Smiley I do not collect any Bitcoins. I am going to PM the pledgers in the event that a candidate arises.

EDIT: Please, I know there are devs and pledgers who want this to be done. Post here.

fabianhjr (OP)

Do The Evolution

View Profile
January 02, 2011, 07:38:04 PM

Something important that Kiba mentioned is that this is not the same as this section. This section is for crowdsourcing a job. You want something done and will pay for it. This crowdfunding allows presaling and market analysis before actually starting or to see if there is interest for a specific movie/documentary or even a product. I hope I had set differences aside and more people join the pledging or actually take on the job.

This is great for creative persons and entrepreneurs who want to start something. Smiley

Vinnie

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 10:07:00 PM

This is an awesome idea! I see it as the future for intellectual property. For instance, I follow the comic book The Walking Dead. Many fans simply download a pirated copy every time an issue comes out. Sales suffer. Alternatively, the author and artist could withhold writing the next issue until enough fans have ploinked down a few BTC each. Larger donations toward the issue could get you a signed, collectors comic book in print.

Anonymous Cash-By-Mail Exchange: https://www.bitcoin2cash.com
Vinnie

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 12:22:28 AM

This is an awesome idea! I see it as the future for intellectual property.
 Many fans simply download a pirated copy every time an issue comes out. Sales suffer. Alternatively, the author and artist could withhold writing the next issue until enough fans have ploinked down a few BTC each. Larger donations toward the issue could get you a signed, collectors comic book in print.
or fans live "am arsch der welt" / far far away where comics will be distributed in 1-2 years. so they pirate it away as soon as it is awailable Wink

Yes! So if I were the author, I wouldn't publish until I received a certain amount of money in donations; say 500 BTC. Once I have crowd sourced 500 BTC, then I publish the issue and upload the torrent tracker and the comic is free anyone to download.

fabianhjr (OP)

Do The Evolution

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 01:23:31 AM

Yeap! This is pre-selling the comic and fits as a perfect example! Feel free to pledge for it. Also, the "reward" system would allow you to get exclusives like making a cartoon of you or he doing some comic signing at your city if you give him 10K BTC. The possibilities are endless and this should help authors, specially copyleft/copyfree ones, do some money so they can continue to make what they love!

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 04:13:49 PM

Yeap! This is pre-selling the comic and fits as a perfect example! Feel free to pledge for it.

I am partial to the idea of letting the webcomic be free, and then selling mugs, goods, and exclusive access on the side.

fabianhjr (OP)

Do The Evolution

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 04:55:12 PM

Well the artists need money to pay for food, healthcare, and what not. What he is suggesting is pre-selling the next issue until supporters get enough BTC for him and then he can release it for free! Kiba, wouldn't you like to do the same with your art?

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 05:02:42 PM

Well the artists need money to pay for food, healthcare, and what not. What he is suggesting is pre-selling the next issue until supporters get enough BTC for him and then he can release it for free! Kiba, wouldn't you like to do the same with your art?

I just have different idea of a business model.

fabianhjr (OP)

Do The Evolution

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 05:10:08 PM

Ok, well then, since you posted in this thread I invite you to at least provide feedback and/or implementing this at most. Tongue

Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 05:47:19 PM

This is a brilliant idea.

Basically a FOSS, Bitcoin-based, Kickstarter. 

I love it.
Vinnie

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 05:48:47 PM

I just have different idea of a business model.

The incentive structure in each will certainly effect the product. For instance, the pre-selling prior to publishing scenario will give the author an incentive to release little bits at a time with a lot of cliffhangers that will keep his audience scrambling for the next issue. Over the long run the author would still have to deliver a quality product. I think a smaller, dedicated fan base could support such a business model, allowing for more niche artists and authors.

With the merchandising model it seems to me that your creations would have to permeate pop culture. Think Spider Man as opposed to The Walking Dead (the comic I mentioned above) which is released by an independent, creator owned publisher.

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 06:02:22 PM

With the merchandising model it seems to me that your creations would have to permeate pop culture. Think Spider Man as opposed to The Walking Dead (the comic I mentioned above) which is released by an independent, creator owned publisher.

No, I just have to be good as Misfile and Megatokyo. They don't permeates popular culture. Beside, I can alway sell graphic novel...at least until the dead tree format stop being collector items and just a bunch of paper with some data encoded in it.

Beside, webcomic is a money making hobby, not a primary money grubbing and fame grubbing adventure.

Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 06:25:02 PM

Sorry that this is so off-topic....   Perhaps this should be a new thread....   But, I wanted to say this:   

Merchandising is pirated just as easily as digital content.  I can make my own mugs and t-shirts with anything on it.... even easier than uploading something to bittorrent.

_________

Ok, back to the topic at hand:     FOSS, Bitcoin-based, Kickstarter

Who's ready to begin developing it?

I'll pledge BTC 100.
My partner, Ed, pledge's BTC 35.  ( ed@edwardgel.com )   Smiley
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 06:28:49 PM

Merchandising is pirated just as easily as digital content.  I can make my own mugs and t-shirts with anything on it.... even easier than uploading something to bittorrent.

That may be so...but no self-respecting fan would buy merchandise that wouldn't support the artist.

ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 06:37:15 PM

So what are you looking for here, projects that need funding or someone to handle the administration of the funding process?

fabianhjr (OP)

Do The Evolution

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 07:20:31 PM

No, basically if you have a project and need some funds or incentives then you post your project, set rewards for backers(Which could even be the product pre-selling), and enter a deadline that if the funding is not archived by that time everyone receives back their money because it isn't wise to ask someone to finish a $5K project with only $2K in funding.

Also, updated the thread to reflect the new pledges. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: