Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:09:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins on Flash Drive Help  (Read 151 times)
Ahnkochee (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 10:30:13 AM

First time poster and total Bitcoin greenhorn requesting advice. 

I was talking to my kid sis last night and in conversation she brought up that several years ago (when bitcoins were almost worthless) she was gifted a flash drive with bitcoins in it though she has no recollection how much.  They were worthless so she tossed the flash drive into a drawer somewhere and forgot about it until last night when I told her how much they are worth today.  She looked for the flash drive and actually found it!  She plugged it into her computer but could not access the flash drive to see how many she had or even IF she had any bitcoins on there.  She tried downloading a wallet, USB UART driver, etc. but no cigar.  Any suggestions on how to access  the flash drive would be much appreciated by her.  She has allot of medical expenses to deal with so hopefully there's something on that flash drive that can help her.  Thank you very much for your input.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2017, 11:05:01 AM

After reading your post i guess you didn't even succeed in accessing the flash drive yet?
Is ist a standard USB stick? Or what kind of flash drive is it? May it be a hardware wallet? Or just a usb mass storage device?
Before downloading any wallet you should first find out how to access the flash drive and what kind of information are stored on it.
This may be some private keys in plain/encrypted text, or some wallet files (maybe wallet.dat from core?). First find out what files are stored before downloading tools to access them.
What exactly doesn't work when accessing the flash drive? Does it just don't get recognized by windows or what is happening? any error message?
Additionally i would suggest to first make a backup of your flash drive before messing around with it.. Better safe than sorry.

Svelto

Activity: 686
Merit: 257

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 11:18:35 AM

Please tell us more information and we will surely love to help your sister. What exactly is the error message? What do you see in the flash drive folders? I agreed with the above post, don’t overwrite the files in the flash drive. Do a backup of it first.
scout5

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 11:24:03 AM

You said you couldn't access it so I assume the flashdrive was simply unreadable? Your best bet would probably find a trusted friend/family member that knows how to fix those stuff. Probably the flashdrive's plug/port already corroded.
xBitHodler

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 11:37:07 AM

Congratulations on finding such an important thing. We will try to help you. Does Windows recognize the flash drive and shows it in the explorer? Did you try to install third party software which can for example manage partitions? These are very important information without which we won't be able to help you any further. If you manage to access the pendrive, do you know how the wallet is saved? Private keys in plaintext, Bitcore wallet .dat etc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: