Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:37:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet - How long does it last offline?  (Read 940 times)
plarkplark (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:06:57 AM

Hi,

Just some newbie questions. I have about 3 BTC now. My wallet.dat is on my PC, and backup too.

What if:

1. I don't go " online"  for several months? Would I still recieve payments made, and does the BTC client just " catch up"?
2. I loose my PC wallet (harddisk crash) and I forgot to update my wallet.dat on the USB? Does my Balance revert back to date of backup?
3. I loose my wallet completely?

Very much thanks Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MrWizard

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:45:13 AM

Newbie here two with two weeks experience with bitcoins.

AFAIK:
1) Whether offline for a few days or a few months, the bitcoin client will "catch up" on payments made to you.
2) You can restore your wallet from a backup and as above, the bitcoin client will catch you up.
3) Just like real cash, if you lose your wallet and backup(s), your money is forever GONE.

"I walked into the room dripping in Bitcoins.  Yea dripping in Bitcoins."
(BTC) 168DCCeGmDy3xTWRimLVhvKtK3yEWbpsSg     (LTC) LbYS8VFqFSU7B9bfaHD11seQMtrtYEKpLe
(BBQ) bNVZErvwLzpEG7H3kt1fycWspzRQB1MJzL
raresaturn

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Everyone Is A Bank

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 12:14:24 PM

Newbie here two with two weeks experience with bitcoins.

2) You can restore your wallet from a backup and as above, the bitcoin client will catch you up.

That is so cool   Shocked

BABB        |[     BANK ACCOUNT BASED BLOCKCHAIN     ]|       Everyone is a bank
▬                       JOIN TOKEN SALE                       ▬
▬▬▬▬▬     JOIN THE COMMUNITY    |    Telegram     ▬▬▬▬▬
elements

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 12:24:17 PM

In order to make payments to your offline wallet you should create several addresses and copy them.

Then you can make payments to these addresses which you created and stored in your offline wallet.

For payments to you offline wallet I suggest to only use the addresses which are stored on the offline wallet dat (some other guys have lost their bitcoin because the send BTC to their online wallet's addresses which were not yet created when they did their backup).

Welcome to the bitcoin community Wink

PS: Usually the offline wallet.dat will catch up even if you did payments to "new addresses" which are not stored in the backup...but sometimes that doesn't work - so to be sure only use addresses which are stored in your offline wallet.dat

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
plarkplark (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 12:34:52 PM

So basicly your wallet.dat is your "Creditcard" with your PIN number engraved in it,

Kind of secure, but imho a bit dangerous if it contains more then a dozen bitcoins (losing it means a heavy loss).

runlinux

Activity: 566
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 01:07:05 PM

thanks for that bit if information! *note to self... backup wallet... again...*

elements

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 01:16:52 PM

So basicly your wallet.dat is your "Creditcard" with your PIN number engraved in it,

Kind of secure, but imho a bit dangerous if it contains more then a dozen bitcoins (losing it means a heavy loss).

You can build a secure wallet by using a "virgin" offline computer which has never been used online.
You install the client and create a few addresses. Then you print them out as a hardcopy OR creata a textfile with them which you put on a virgin thumb drive.

Then you use your regular computer and send coins to the aforementioned addresses. This way your "secure" wallet receives the coins without ever being connected to the internet and therefore secure from hacking.

You also should make sure, that you make a lot of backups of your secure wallet.
The important part is, that your secure wallet never gets connected - so do not use a thumb drive which you switch between computers. As soon as any rewriteable medium is used online consider it tainted and do not use it on your offline computer.

Hope this helps

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 01:50:42 PM

1. I don't go " online"  for several months? Would I still recieve payments made, and does the BTC client just " catch up"?
Yes. If someone posts a transaction to you, that transaction is part of the public record forever. You can claim those coins at any time.

2. I loose my PC wallet (harddisk crash) and I forgot to update my wallet.dat on the USB? Does my Balance revert back to date of backup?
It depends. In most cases, your old wallet.dat will contain precisely the same keys as the new one, so you'll have your full balance. However, it is possible that your backup wallet will be completely empty. For example:

1) I get 100 bitcoins to account A. I backup my wallet.
2) I transfer 1 bitcoin to account B. My client creates a transaction that imports the 100 bitcoins from account A, export 1 bitcoind to account B and exports my 99 bitcoins of 'change' to a new internal account.
3) I lose my wallet, my backup only has account A, which now has 0 bitcoins.

The client actually creates accounts by the hundred, even though it doesn't show them all to you. So odds are the keys the new wallet used are in your old wallet anyway.

3. I loose my wallet completely?
Coins are lost forever.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: