Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:18:33 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] Anyone thinking of stopping mining for now (high difficulty, low bounty).  (Read 1104 times)
shinkicker (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 03:17:17 PM

Like most on here I am using every PC I have at home and some vps instances I have had running. I just had to go out for a few hours and came back to find the difficulty has gone up from 8.0 to 8.4 in the space of three hours.

Its getting very tough to a get a block now, especially when up against banks of 32 core machines ticking away.

Anyone else thinking the same? It just does not seem viable anymore. I might just run a PC I work on for now (as I want to support the coin still).

p.s. This is not a post to complain or whine, I know how it is, and I still love the concept of what primecoin is about, but in the space of one week the difficulty has ramped up and the bounty has dropped by almost half.

Seems like its no longer viable for the smaller miner at this moment in time.

blastbob

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 03:21:58 PM

In 10 hours i had one machine that has 8 core and was doing around 5000 pps. It blocked 6 blocks.

6x15 = 90 coins x 0.0035 (~exchange rate) = 0.315 BTC value.

Might be good to get a fully optimized client from one source only.

So its still money in it, just not the get rich quick version.

Bitrated user: blastbob.
sharkbyte093

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 03:23:40 PM

If you're trying to mine on your main computer, (computer you need to use for other things) yea it's probably not worth it anymore. I have a server with an AMD regor dual core, SSD, and a cheap video card. For whatever reason, it has found me 8 blocks since primecoin release. I was mining on my main computer, which has a phenom x6 1055t (@ 3.9ghz), and I only got 1 block over the same period. I have since ceased mining on it because I need it for other things.

The Regor computer is hooked up to my router via ethernet cable, my phenom via wireless. I'm wondering if ping has something to do with it.

Anyways, at this stage the hordes of rented cloud computing instances are probably vacuuming up all the blocks. This doesn't mean you won't find a block, it's just less likely. The latest block I found was with my server, about 2 hours ago. So it's still possible.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 03:25:17 PM

How much does your electricity have to cost per prime per second in order to be cheaper than renting virtual machine instances on the cloud?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
simichent

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 03:26:55 PM

im running a single tower 8core fx8350 and have had 3 since the difficulty went up i still think there is a lot of luck even at this difficulty

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 03:29:40 PM

Well if it is cloud instances we are up against home users should be able to operate cheaper than they can, it is probably botnets we really need to worry about...

(And rogue sysadmins, if you don't consider them basically just a species of botnet.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 03:36:52 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2013, 03:52:05 PM by Stinky_Pete

I've had 2 blocks since this morning, so I'll carry on. It's still fun, and I haven't even switched my Ubuntu machine over yet. It's a hobby for me, making money is not my top priority. I sold a few XPM to generate some funds for buying ASICs, but I'll try and keep going with Primecoin until I'm completely underwhelmed. I think Primecoin is one of the altcoins that may survive long-term, because it is so different.

altsay

Activity: 359

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 03:46:22 PM

Most of the price of clouds goes into ssd disk capacity and bandwidth which we dont need for mining. So, i'll delete all my droplets in a couple of hours. It's done for me, for now.
shakezula

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 03:48:57 PM

Yes, you should all stop mining XPM as soon as possible. Also, please send any XPM's you don't want to the XPM disposal fund here: Abh4rSGHFZMYGYAscJG4Y6d1NEpjZ7VPMu
GSnak

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 04:31:23 PM

These coins need to be released during the winter, so the heat can provide a value-added benefit when you're finding zero blocks.
captainfuture

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 04:32:02 PM

i stopped
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: