Bitcoin Forum
September 23, 2024, 09:43:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit Electrum ISSUES ISSUES ISSUES  (Read 225 times)
daybeforetomorrow (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 03:22:20 PM

Hi,

I'm a newbie to post but not read and hoping someone a lot smarter than me (which are many) can help with the worrying issues I'm having. I have read several threads and tried to find solutions to no avail and apologies if these have all been answered before, elsewhere.

I am on a Macbook Pro using Sierra.

Issue 1.

1. I mined and bought BTC back in 2014.
2. They were all put into a Multibit Classic Wallet and have remained there until now.
3. I recently downloaded Electrum to move the contents over understanding Multibit is WAY out of date, unsupported and potentially volatile now.
4. When I enter the Electrum 'receiving address' into Multibit it is not recognied as a BTC address.  I have read differences and incompatibilities between compressed and uncompressed keys, is this the issue?
5. I have tried to save the private keys from Multibit to my computer, here begins issue 2.

Issue 2.

1. So, from Electrum I decided to try a sweep of keys to bring all into the new wallet.
2. Having theoretically saved the keys from Multibit Classic, the process was confirmed, it gives me a directory where it has been saved on my comptuter 'user/"name"/library/application support/multibit/multibit.wallet'
2. On MY computer 'application support' doesn't exist in this location, it is elsewhere and inside there is no Multibit folder, the ONLY multibit folder I have, or can find, is to launch the program?!?
3. ......Mega Panic sets in.

Issue 3.

1. Having dowloaded Electrum, all seemed ok. setup seed, password, default wallet created.
2. When I shut down Electrum I cannot find the file/folder, computer says 'file doesn't exist'
3. I tried to reopen from the launcher but it prompted going through the whole process again.
4. Back to the absent application support folder I can find nothing on my computer relating to the recent new set up of the Electrum wallet.

Big panic, anyone have any ideas or solution please, I've read a lot, tried a lot and getting confused by all the solutions on offer and not working and of course mega nervous to lose my BTC.  The absence of a folder with files, .key docs, etc. seems to be strange.

Cheers!
onnz423

Activity: 840
Merit: 508

Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 03:31:14 PM

Hey! Since you have the compressed private keys on multibit, i have a solution but it takes some manual work. I have understood that you already know how to export compressed private keys, but you don't know how to uncompress them. You can go to Bitaddress.org and click on "Wallet details" which allows you to see the uncompressed key and some other details. Personally i'd recommend downloading bitaddress as offline page from the bottom of the page and disconnecting from internet if you wish to reuse the keys in future.

Let me know if you require any extra assistance Smiley

▄▄██████▄▄
  ████████████
███▄▄
 ██████████████▀▀▀██▄
████████████████   ▀██▄
████████████████     ▀██
██████████████       ██▌
██████████████        ▐██
██▌▀▀██████▀▀         ▐██
▐██                   ██▌
 ██▄                 ▄██
  ▀██▄             ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄▄     ▄▄▄██▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀       ▀▀████████
█████▀   ▄ ▀███▀ ▄   ▀█████
████  ▄████▄ ▀ ▄████▄  ████
███  ▄ ▀███▀ ▄ ▀███▀ ▄  ███
██  ▄██ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ██▄  ██
██  █▀ ▄█ ███████ █▄ ▀█  ██
██   ▄███▄ █████ ▄███▄   ██
███  ████▀ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████  ███
████  ▀ ▄ ▀█████▀ ▄ ▀  ████
█████▄  ▀▀▄ ███ ▄▀▀  ▄█████
████████▄▄       ▄▄████████
███████████████████████████

█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
daybeforetomorrow (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 05:39:11 PM

Hi,

I'm a newbie to post but not read and hoping someone a lot smarter than me (which are many) can help with the worrying issues I'm having. I have read several threads and tried to find solutions to no avail and apologies if these have all been answered before, elsewhere.

I am on a Macbook Pro using Sierra.

Issue 1.

1. I mined and bought BTC back in 2014.
2. They were all put into a Multibit Classic Wallet and have remained there until now.
3. I recently downloaded Electrum to move the contents over understanding Multibit is WAY out of date, unsupported and potentially volatile now.
4. When I enter the Electrum 'receiving address' into Multibit it is not recognied as a BTC address.  I have read differences and incompatibilities between compressed and uncompressed keys, is this the issue?
5. I have tried to save the private keys from Multibit to my computer, here begins issue 2.

Issue 2.

1. So, from Electrum I decided to try a sweep of keys to bring all into the new wallet.
2. Having theoretically saved the keys from Multibit Classic, the process was confirmed, it gives me a directory where it has been saved on my comptuter 'user/"name"/library/application support/multibit/multibit.wallet'
2. On MY computer 'application support' doesn't exist in this location, it is elsewhere and inside there is no Multibit folder, the ONLY multibit folder I have, or can find, is to launch the program?!?
3. ......Mega Panic sets in.

Issue 3.

1. Having dowloaded Electrum, all seemed ok. setup seed, password, default wallet created.
2. When I shut down Electrum I cannot find the file/folder, computer says 'file doesn't exist'
3. I tried to reopen from the launcher but it prompted going through the whole process again.
4. Back to the absent application support folder I can find nothing on my computer relating to the recent new set up of the Electrum wallet.

Big panic, anyone have any ideas or solution please, I've read a lot, tried a lot and getting confused by all the solutions on offer and not working and of course mega nervous to lose my BTC.  The absence of a folder with files, .key docs, etc. seems to be strange.

Cheers!

All Solved Now!  Cheers all! Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: