Bitcoin Forum
June 13, 2024, 06:50:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are my bitcoins safe if I don't split them?  (Read 226 times)
CryptoEnthused (OP)

Activity: 190
Merit: 15

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 08:50:35 PM

I'm really concerned about my money. Can I send my bitcoins to anyone without risk of losing my bitcoins? As I understand If i send my bitcoins, then someone can claim only my bitcoin diamond?
Also, what happens if I send my bitcoin to my own another address, can some still steal my bitcoin diamond?
I can't fully understand how replay attack works. Hope the community can help figure it out  Smiley

Bitfort

Activity: 952
Merit: 339

invest trade and gamble wisely

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 09:09:18 PM

No. If you send your bitcoins to anyone you lose them. He becomes the owner of those bitcoins.
No, If you sent bitcoins out the bitcoin diamonds (and other forks) will stay on the original address ( but if you give him your privatekey then he can get all the coins on that wallet BTC, BTG , BCH... all of them)

To sum up. PRIVATEKEY IS THE KEY TO YOUR COINS (all of them) ... so when privatekey is not compromised, you are safe.

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄E► (KCS) Kucoin-Staking, Auto-Lending, Trading-Bot
◄E► (BNB) Binance-Staking, Savings, 10% RefBack
◄E► (TRX) Poloniex-Staking, Lending, Fee Discount
◄E► (LEO) Bitfinex-Staking, Auto-Lending

◄G► Betfury-Faucet, Dividend Earnings (BFG holders, mine BFG by playing)
◄G► Bitvest -  Faucet, Bankroll Invest
◄G► CryptoGames-Faucet, Lotto
◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

◄M► Prohashing (Multipool)-Payout in any coin, get 0.50% bonus for 30 days
◄M► MiningRigRentals (Marketplace)-buy hashrate or rent your miners
◄M► Viabtc  (Pool)-payout to Coinex (exchnage) without fees

Mayorlopez215

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 10:01:19 PM

No. If you send your bitcoins to anyone you lose them. He becomes the owner of those bitcoins.
No, If you sent bitcoins out the bitcoin diamonds (and other forks) will stay on the original address ( but if you give him your privatekey then he can get all the coins on that wallet BTC, BTG , BCH... all of them)

To sum up. PRIVATEKEY IS THE KEY TO YOUR COINS (all of them) ... so when privatekey is not compromised, you are safe.

Thanks with the information and please I have a question, what is bitcoin diamond?
Bitfort

Activity: 952
Merit: 339

invest trade and gamble wisely

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 10:03:45 PM

Thanks with the information and please I have a question, what is bitcoin diamond?

Useless thing. It's another BTC fork (same as bitcoin cash and bitcoin gold) ... search for more.

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄E► (KCS) Kucoin-Staking, Auto-Lending, Trading-Bot
◄E► (BNB) Binance-Staking, Savings, 10% RefBack
◄E► (TRX) Poloniex-Staking, Lending, Fee Discount
◄E► (LEO) Bitfinex-Staking, Auto-Lending

◄G► Betfury-Faucet, Dividend Earnings (BFG holders, mine BFG by playing)
◄G► Bitvest -  Faucet, Bankroll Invest
◄G► CryptoGames-Faucet, Lotto
◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

◄M► Prohashing (Multipool)-Payout in any coin, get 0.50% bonus for 30 days
◄M► MiningRigRentals (Marketplace)-buy hashrate or rent your miners
◄M► Viabtc  (Pool)-payout to Coinex (exchnage) without fees

AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 10:04:18 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2017, 06:33:02 PM by AdolfinWolf

Bitcoin diamond is a forked version of bitcoin -- meaning that, if you had bitcoins at the time of the snapshot, you will also have bitcoin diamond. ( X10 in this case.) ( Forgot to mention that this is dependant on the fork -- as to whether or not you will get coins..)

These forks are usually done to improve/change a certain aspect of bitcoin. Bitcoin cash for example changed blocksizes, bitcoin gold changed how bitcoins are mined (Equihash).

http://www.btcd.io/

It looks like they want to improve, according to their website:

*Protection of privacy
*Reducing the cost of transfer
* Reducing the cost of participation

Mayorlopez215

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 01:02:06 AM

Thanks I really appreciate your answers, I will try and make some research about that too, so I can have more knowledge about it and some other things too
CryptoEnthused (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 04:33:15 PM

That's different from what I heard. What about a replay attack? Can you explain how this happens? I just heard, that if you don't split the coin, then when you send bitcoin, someone can steal your forked coins or something like that. I'm really confused about this part. How that replay attack happens exactly
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 06:44:10 PM

That's different from what I heard. What about a replay attack? Can you explain how this happens? I just heard, that if you don't split the coin, then when you send bitcoin, someone can steal your forked coins or something like that. I'm really confused about this part. How that replay attack happens exactly

Indeed, because the transaction signature and hash will be the same on both chains.

Someone could then copy the signature + hash to spend the same amount on the other chain.

Lets say you have Bitcoin X and Bitcoin Y. Bitcoin Y just forked so all the UTXO's on Bitcoin X are also present on Bitcoin Y. ( Bitcoin Y has no replay protection).

You try to send 1 Bitcoin X to your exchange adress, that bitcoin X generates a valid hash + signature, ( for the transaction to confirm.).

Now that hash + signature will also be valid on the Bitcoin Y chain, meaning that anyone could copy it, and sent/transact your Bitcoin Y.

Note that the amount must be exactly the same ( otherwise the hash/signature would be invalid again.)

There's some interesting answers on how to prevent them here - > https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/52210/what-is-the-best-way-to-prevent-replay-attacks-in-the-event-of-a-bitcoin-hard-fo/52260#52260

CryptoEnthused (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 09:41:12 PM

Indeed, because the transaction signature and hash will be the same on both chains.

Someone could then copy the signature + hash to spend the same amount on the other chain.

Lets say you have Bitcoin X and Bitcoin Y. Bitcoin Y just forked so all the UTXO's on Bitcoin X are also present on Bitcoin Y. ( Bitcoin Y has no replay protection).

You try to send 1 Bitcoin X to your exchange adress, that bitcoin X generates a valid hash + signature, ( for the transaction to confirm.).

Now that hash + signature will also be valid on the Bitcoin Y chain, meaning that anyone could copy it, and sent/transact your Bitcoin Y.

Note that the amount must be exactly the same ( otherwise the hash/signature would be invalid again.)

There's some interesting answers on how to prevent them here - > https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/52210/what-is-the-best-way-to-prevent-replay-attacks-in-the-event-of-a-bitcoin-hard-fo/52260#52260

Thanks. The best description I've seen so far. Very explicitly and short
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: