Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:54:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Harvesting/Scraping  (Read 2375 times)
Bitsky (OP)

Activity: 576
Merit: 512

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 02:34:57 PM

I have a bit of spare time, so if someone needs data scraped from a website, drop me a PM.

Data can be provided as CSV or SQL.

Price depends on the complexity and amount of data.

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ErgoOne

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 11:11:27 PM

Not to be a spoilsport, but if the "data" that you are offering to scrape is email addresses, please be aware that Spamhaus, Spamcop, SURBL, URIBL, and most of the other widely-used anti-spam blocklists consider sending bulk email to scraped addresses to be spam.  Spamhaus lists the web sites that sell lists of email addresses in their main blocklist for spam support. 

If you can write code to scrape web sites, you can also write code to do other things that are more productive and less likely to piss people who don't like spam off at you.  Just an idea. :-)
PandaMiner

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:39:09 PM

Scraping, like hacking, has a bad rap. 

It's just a tool.  Sure, most people, when they hear/think of "scraping" a website, think of "spam" and "scraping emails."

Scraping is a tool.  Too bad it has been used for spamming in the public eye. But scraping in and of itself, is not bad, or negative, or time wasting.

Big companies do it all the time, and they're not scraping email addresses. They are scraping other things, information. Big companies scrape eachother.

As a marketer, I've scraped a few of my merchant's sites (when they don't offer a datafeed).  I create my own datafeed.

Scraping is not evil.  It's what people do with what's scraped, that can be positive or negative.

But I digress.

❘|❘ NEUFUND Re-Imagine ICOs | Connect off- and on-chain with equity tokens | Enjoy risk-free commitment
JOIN THE ICBM | JOIN THE DISCUSSION
ErgoOne

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:30:37 PM

If you're doing scraping for some purpose other than spamming or stealing somebody else's data, I have no problem with it.  In my experience, however, the majority of cases where somebody scrapes web sites for hire involve email addresses to be used for spamming.  That doesn't mean that there aren't legitimate uses for scraping, just that I don't often see them in use.
PandaMiner

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:00:27 AM

Yeah. It's sad that the negatives get more publicity. :-/

❘|❘ NEUFUND Re-Imagine ICOs | Connect off- and on-chain with equity tokens | Enjoy risk-free commitment
JOIN THE ICBM | JOIN THE DISCUSSION
ArsenShnurkov
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 03:39:16 PM

You should market your services as "Data import", "Data cleaning", "Data processing" and provide a portfolio of some interesting results.

How well do you know http://kettle.pentaho.com/ ?
Can you integrate your parsers with it ?
doldgigger

Activity: 170

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 03:54:46 PM

If you're doing scraping for some purpose other than spamming or stealing somebody else's data, I have no problem with it.  In my experience, however, the majority of cases where somebody scrapes web sites for hire involve email addresses to be used for spamming.  That doesn't mean that there aren't legitimate uses for scraping, just that I don't often see them in use.
During the past few years, I sold a couple of data scraping solutions, none of which fitting into your less than legitimate categories. So, if you are seeing mostly illegitimate uses of scraping, maybe you want to look for another peer group of people to work with?

More importantly: rather than insulting people enriching the bitcoin economy by providing services, why not offer services yourself? Just an idea... :-)

19orEcoqXQ5bzKbzbAnbQrCkQC5ahSh4P9
Feel free to PM me for consulting and development services.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: