Bitcoin Forum
August 14, 2024, 08:22:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Miniupnpc in Bitcoin-Qt?  (Read 1992 times)
phelix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 09:28:19 PM

This is drifting too far off topic for my taste. I will lock this thread tomorrow so create a new thread and post a link to it here if you want to.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4228
Merit: 8619

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 02:38:17 AM

Why the first 50 addresses with non-default port number are considered same as invalid?
To be honest, I have no idea. Just like I have no idea about a purpose of many things this s/w does, also spotted BTW.
But my personal experience advises me to not ask these kind of questions, because they don't like it.
It's a feature, not an issue - that's all you need to know.
The bitcoin elite is an actual elite, so if they made an effort to add a line of code - who are we to question it? Smiley
IIRC, You asked this previously and it was explained to you.  Bitcoin preferentially connects to the default port if it is able to in order to reduce the problem of a malicious party announcing other peoples addresses maliciously and creating connection DDOS attacks against random ports.  Its important that Bitcoin not act as a network nuisance and get itself banned from networks, so it doesn't use non-default ports unless the default ports aren't working.  I can't see into Satoshi's mind, but the rational seems clear enough for me.

Adding additional nodes on a single network is not of tremendous value to the network, though if you'd like to do so for local scaling reasons (instead of just increasing the accepted connections on a single node) you can simply load balance at the front end, iptables will do this happily, as will many commercial routers and firewalls. I've had multiple inbound nodes on a single IP this way without issue.  If there was evidence of a problem that could be solved by having more nodes on distinct ports treating a small range of high ports as equally preferred, which would also avoid the nuisance/DDOS risk. ... but I haven't seen a reason to even propose a BIP for it. If you have one, I'm all ears.

[Sorry for continuing the OT here,  but I'm somewhat concerned that piotr_n's misinformation— if unanswered— may adversely impact my personal reputation as well as the stability of the bitcoin ecosystem, e.g. if people who don't know better see his unanswered allegations that core developers never explain anything they may believe it]
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 06:56:55 AM

Personally I don't have libminiupnpc installed on my system and manually disable building with it each time I compile bitcoin, since I don't want my router to "automatically" open ports to me for security reasons.  Since I run bitcoin over Tor anyway, it wouldn't matter though even if I did open the port.  So I can understand the OPs ideas very well.  (Note that to help the network, I'm running a full node with 50-100 connections on my VPS.)

But I can also understand very well that probably without that most users wouldn't even know about opening their ports, so I think we can keep the current behaviour.

So why not always include the library and have an option in the preferences to deactivate UPNP?
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1170

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 08:11:44 AM

Personally I don't have libminiupnpc installed on my system and manually disable building with it each time I compile bitcoin, since I don't want my router to "automatically" open ports to me for security reasons.  Since I run bitcoin over Tor anyway, it wouldn't matter though even if I did open the port.  So I can understand the OPs ideas very well.  (Note that to help the network, I'm running a full node with 50-100 connections on my VPS.)

But I can also understand very well that probably without that most users wouldn't even know about opening their ports, so I think we can keep the current behaviour.

So why not always include the library and have an option in the preferences to deactivate UPNP?

That's a good suggestion (plus option in the bitcoin.conf file, since I don't use the UI version).  In my case, it is/was that way however simply because I didn't have libminiupnp installed and found it simpler to deactivate it in the build than to installing it.  (That's no argument that it should be that way, of course.)

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
Diapolo

Activity: 769
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 01:08:40 PM

Personally I don't have libminiupnpc installed on my system and manually disable building with it each time I compile bitcoin, since I don't want my router to "automatically" open ports to me for security reasons.  Since I run bitcoin over Tor anyway, it wouldn't matter though even if I did open the port.  So I can understand the OPs ideas very well.  (Note that to help the network, I'm running a full node with 50-100 connections on my VPS.)

That IS the case for official builds!? We have a Bitcoin-Qt option and take a look at the -upnp parameter.

Dia

Liked my former work for Bitcoin Core? Drop me a donation via:
1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x
bitcoin:1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x?label=Diapolo
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 08:45:01 PM

Personally I don't have libminiupnpc installed on my system and manually disable building with it each time I compile bitcoin, since I don't want my router to "automatically" open ports to me for security reasons.  Since I run bitcoin over Tor anyway, it wouldn't matter though even if I did open the port.  So I can understand the OPs ideas very well.  (Note that to help the network, I'm running a full node with 50-100 connections on my VPS.)

That IS the case for official builds!? We have a Bitcoin-Qt option and take a look at the -upnp parameter.

Dia
Thanks for the info. Sorry for your time. Roll Eyes Everything is just fine. Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: