Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 09:21:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have any idea how to control a Win 8 rig from another room? Wireless KVM?  (Read 2665 times)
MrBilling (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 10:32:30 PM

I have my BAMT rigs in another room because of the noise and heat.  I would like to put my Windows 8 rig in the other room also.  But I use my Windows 8 rig sometimes so I would like to be able to control it from a different room.

Anyone know how to do this?  Maybe a wireless KVM or something?  I did find something that appears to work but the reviews are not good.

What I found is this.  http://www.cables4computer.com/USB_and_FireWire/Display-Dock-set_DisplayDock_Wireless_USB_Docking_Station_with_Video_for_PC.html

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 10:33:47 PM

What about RDP, LogMeIn or Team Viewer?

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Gordon Bleu

Activity: 308

verified ✔

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 10:41:36 PM

maybe a long stick

VNC or Team Viewer is easier to setup

GAWMiners http://gawminers.com/ Gridseed ASICS in stock in USA
ONE YEAR FREE HOSTING AND ELECTRICITY WITH PURCHASE!

AROUSR.COM The Adult Chat Community (21+) We now accept BTCitcoins Smiley               |
Connect with hot girls for chat, talk, trade pics and more!➠Visit http://arousr.com (21+)|
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 12:57:27 AM

I run all my windows mining rigs with TeamViewer nothing easier Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
polarhei

Activity: 462

Firing it up

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 04:54:38 PM

The easiest way is using RDP.
nottm28

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 04:57:52 PM

UltraVNC

donations not accepted
MrBilling (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 05:14:34 PM

No I dont think i was clear.

I want to put my rig (tower) in the other room.  I want to control it from my living room where there wouldn't be any computer.  Just a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

I saw this working one time at a job I was doing.  They had a tower in one room and were controlling it through what they said was a wireless KVM.  Tower in one room.  Monitor, keyboard, and mouse in another.

If you look at the item I linked to in my OP you will see it says it will work for this but the reviews are not so good.
xgtele

Activity: 288

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 08:24:48 PM

Drill the wall
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:42:05 PM

Drill the wall

Seriously.

I really don't understand what seems so hard about just plugging everything in with longer cables...

I don't understand why you are even bringing virtualization into the mix. You don't need a separate session do you? You don't need someone to be in the other room using the computer at the same time as you, do you? You aren't looking to control more than that one machine from that single set of keyboard/mouse/monitor, are you?
If not, then you are looking at solutions for problems you don't have.

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:46:30 PM

Wireless keyboard, mouse and VGA?

nottm28

Activity: 574

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:58:33 PM

That looks nice - I want it and don't even need it Smiley

donations not accepted
MrBilling (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 04:50:36 PM

Drill the wall

Seriously.

I really don't understand what seems so hard about just plugging everything in with longer cables...

I don't understand why you are even bringing virtualization into the mix. You don't need a separate session do you? You don't need someone to be in the other room using the computer at the same time as you, do you? You aren't looking to control more than that one machine from that single set of keyboard/mouse/monitor, are you?
If not, then you are looking at solutions for problems you don't have.

Because I have a nice big house and don't want to run 50-60 ft VGA/DVI or drill holes in walls.  Plus the way my house is setup I would have to go through like 3 walls to get to my living room.  And then have cable laying here and there.  Or I would have to run it through the attic and have a cable to going up into my 16 ft ceilings in my living room. Smiley
MrBilling (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:07:16 PM

I will look this up.   It does look like some of the ones I have saw before that only work line of sight.
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:14:32 PM

Check out the home theater PC crowd for suggestions.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
greenbtc

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:35:31 PM

Check out the home theater PC crowd for suggestions.

You could always use WiDi in combination with a wireless keyboard/mouse. The best solution for this IMO is a thin client station and just RDP/Teamviewer/VNC over to the other machine from the thin client. There is no real "cheap" solution for what you are asking, unless you have another PC kicking around that can act as the "thin client."
Zanatos666

Activity: 280

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:54:10 PM

I have both Windows machines and BAMT machines, easiest solution is Putty for your BAMT units, and Teamviewer for your Windows box.  There is an iPhone (and I assume Android version) of Teamviewer that you can use to control your Windows box with, even on the go.  And for your BAMT boxes, install Putty on your Windows box as well, Teamviewer into it from anywhere, and then putty into BAMT from there.  I do it all the time without a hitch.  Heck, I even have an SSH app on my iPhone that when I am at home I dont even need to go into Windows to access my BAMT units, just do it right from my phone (I have them set to static IP's of course).

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
slarty

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:51:51 PM

There are some KVMs on the market which sends the signal over a standard ethernet connection.
You can place the KVM in the room where your rig is and then you need only a network connection to it. could be wireless of cause.

I think solutions like TeamView, RDP, VNC or similar products would not fit you because you loose to much speed. As far as I understood you like to work on the rig like sitting in front of it. So the wireless KVM is a choice or the other wirless alternatives already given in the thread.
RGDS
greenbtc

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:28:55 PM

There are some KVMs on the market which sends the signal over a standard ethernet connection.
You can place the KVM in the room where your rig is and then you need only a network connection to it. could be wireless of cause.

I think solutions like TeamView, RDP, VNC or similar products would not fit you because you loose to much speed. As far as I understood you like to work on the rig like sitting in front of it. So the wireless KVM is a choice or the other wirless alternatives already given in the thread.
RGDS

You can game remotely via RDP on Server 2008+ terminal servers...there is no lag, especially if you are on the same subnet/network. So saying RDP or VNC wouldn't work is silly...TV would have some slight overhead
Zanatos666

Activity: 280

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:02:56 PM

RGDS

You can game remotely via RDP on Server 2008+ terminal servers...there is no lag, especially if you are on the same subnet/network. So saying RDP or VNC wouldn't work is silly...TV would have some slight overhead

I read through the OP as well as his responses, and I am not seeing any place where he said he was concerned with lag.  He just said he wants to be able to control it.  Maybe I missed it....

If he isnt worried about lag then a free solution like TV would be better than dropping money on a wireless KVM.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
greenbtc

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:53:54 PM

RGDS

I read through the OP as well as his responses, and I am not seeing any place where he said he was concerned with lag.  He just said he wants to be able to control it.  Maybe I missed it....

If he isnt worried about lag then a free solution like TV would be better than dropping money on a wireless KVM.

Yeah, I was just refuting the other person's claims that VNC/RDP would not work. If he is concerned about lag, I was saying he could go that route. I even have some old HP thin clients with Windows XP Embedded if all you need is a jump point (something to RDP from to the Win8 rig). PM me if you are interested, as I have a slew of old thin clients.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: