Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:38:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Powering case fans for a noise reducing enclosure  (Read 314 times)
rageprone (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 07:28:36 AM

Hi all!

I'm trying to build a noise reduction enclosure for housing 4 units of D3 and 1 unit of S9. I want to go with a push/pull format for the enclosure using 5 x 120mm case fans for each side. Since there's no motherboard, how do I power these case fans? Can I use some kind of USB adapter to power the fans?  I can't control the fan speed either but that's another problem for another day. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!
bitfools

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 07:50:04 AM

YOUR GOING TO BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN Smiley

'your going to shoot your eye out'

[ Enclosed 1200Watt heaters in a home are an arsonists wet dream ]

Well honestly, just go to KMART or WALMART and buy a bunch of 18" chinese fans for $20 each, and plug them in, and blow all the air out to where your wish,

Problem is sound enclosure your S-9 sounds like a jet engine, and so you would need 2feet of fiber-glass to muffle the sound, but to pass the fresh air in with the fans, you would need an open hole, where the jet engine sound would get out,

Seriously, what I do in this case with D3 & S9 I put them out in the chicken-house, err motorcycle-shop, and have a wifi-bridge talk back to the main-house, this stuff really needs to be OPEN,

I never put an enclosure on kind kind of miner, sealed or GPU, even a GPU card in a box, needs to have the cover removed, soon as you ensclose this shit it goes from 60C to +80C, best to run under 68C for long equipment life,

The ANTIMER BITMAIN shit is jet engine LOUD 90DB, U really need farm property, or an industrial setting to run this shit.

Some guys enclose them in boxes in their garage and exhaust, but still its awful loud and if you got neighbors your screwed

A walk-up attic with good insulation would work

Personally what I do with ALL miners is use commercial restaurant racks that are stainless and open grates, on each level have the 2ft kmart chinese fans blowing air sideways and in front of each gpu or s-9 have smaller 12v fans, these fans need 100ma, thus if you got 10 your pulling a full amp, and need proper power, most people just go to the junk yard and get old cpu power supplys, or hell buy a new one at frys for $10, the little fans can be had for $3,

But having the big 2ft/120cm  box fans blow sideways on each level of rack is really critical

SOunds like your problem is a NOISE problem, and the main solution there is an external garage or chicken coup, or hell dig a hole and do an underground rig, thats what we do at BURNING-MAN we dig a hole bury the gas generators and you don't hear shit, lots of ways to contain sound.

But you don't want an enclosure unless you can MOVE  massive volume of air, as you just asking for a HOUSE FIRE, ... IMHO

Summary power supply, just get used cpu, or buy cheap new, say 300w for $10, put a paperclip on the cpu connector so it turns on ( see internet )

I would not use mobile or common 1amp pwr-supply, they're not designed for fans, use a real cpu pwr supply so you don't have a FIRE

cpu power supplys have cooling and automatic shut-off, you need this,

You really need to fuss with ARDUINOS and learn how to control stuff these days, all the stuff you need can be got from an arduino kit relays and such so you can control your cooling/sound proofing over the internet with an arduino/rasberry-pi controlling your miners with a double-pole relay for each 30amp miner on 220v
CryptoYYZ

Activity: 31

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 09:35:42 PM

Hi all!

I'm trying to build a noise reduction enclosure for housing 4 units of D3 and 1 unit of S9. I want to go with a push/pull format for the enclosure using 5 x 120mm case fans for each side. Since there's no motherboard, how do I power these case fans? Can I use some kind of USB adapter to power the fans?  I can't control the fan speed either but that's another problem for another day. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

I've made a smaller setup for my single Antminer L3+ using a 5" shroud directly connected to the fans to ensure the best airflow to eliminate the warm exhaust air and to bring in the coolest air possible (currently outside as it is cold where I am from).  Air is your friend, do not limit that but direct and redirect it safely.  I connected the shrouds to a 5" insulated duct (home depot, 30 feet which you can customize for about $50).

For soundproofing, I set up a simple insulated box and used a 5" hole saw to cut holes for the shrouds to exit to keep everything tight and not collected the warm air within the enclosure.  IMPORTANT, make sure the warm air exhausts or it will drive your Antminer to high temperatures very fast.

I hope this helps, feel free to message me and I can send you photos of what I used.
rageprone (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 07:42:23 PM

My understanding is that a neutral air pressure inside the cabinet would take care of overheating. Air intakes and exhaust will have to be channeled through foam lined fins in order to absorb the noise. At least that's the concept I see most commonly in designs of other people. Or perhaps, something like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpGuDAWb4hQ

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMqAv7k9g4U
KougarLOB

Activity: 136
Merit: 16

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:19:33 PM

Let the puppies breathe!

That being said and returning to the original post:  Case fans are 12V.  Miners are 12V.  Would appear the answer to the original question is obvious.  You should build a collection of common wire connectors with corresponding pins and practice crimping.

I've build 24x12x12" pine muffler boxes lined with sound absorbing materials similar to Rageprone's first YouTube link.  Works great on a D3.  L3s do not need them.
Delta fan blades are too loud for their CFM.  Look for other high-power fans that move as much air while being quieter like Sunon Maglev fans.  You still need to deal with the watts being pumped into the surrounding air space.

1ER7JwEjpjQfm4qaTxy6EaNdNy8MqzP1pt  Smiley
gt_addict

Activity: 2506
Merit: 622

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:05:16 PM

So how many 12v fans are you going to need to match the CFM of that many machines in one space?

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
CryptoYYZ

Activity: 31

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2017, 10:05:59 PM

My understanding is that a neutral air pressure inside the cabinet would take care of overheating. Air intakes and exhaust will have to be channeled through foam lined fins in order to absorb the noise. At least that's the concept I see most commonly in designs of other people. Or perhaps, something like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpGuDAWb4hQ
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMqAv7k9g4U

My concern with all these setups is the close proximity to the enclosure wall.  We are dealing with high-temperature electronics - don't forget!  You want cool air surrounding the whole unit ideally (safety first).  My setup is attached and is based on a YouTube example I saw.  Half a year in operation with 0 issues and I'm overclocking 20%ish (setting 444 for the Antminer owners) to maximize profits as things gradually lower.

http://btc.clinic/images/public/l3box.jpg
http://btc.clinic/images/public/l3flange.jpg
http://btc.clinic/images/public/l3inside.jpg

rageprone (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 06:29:51 AM

Nice setup! I still haven't finished my box to house all my units. Hopefully this month...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: