Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:55:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin futures contracts  (Read 177 times)
nothreat (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 6

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 10:23:41 AM

Hi all,

It has become really noticeable, particularly in my LinkedIn feed, that people are getting really excitable about what effect these new Bitcoin futures contracts will have on the price of Bitcoin.

There are a number of implications here:

1. Are these contracts underpinned by any actual BTC?
2. Was the recent price hike caused by market manipulation by investors in this new City product?
3. Are people confusing these contracts with investment in real Bitcoin?
4. What are the future implications to the Bitcoin community from these new City players?
5. The Blockchain has ground to a halt with well over 100MB in the mempool over all this hype. How do we fix it?

Feels free chip in with any other concerns ...

Thanks

YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 10:49:26 AM

They say that new whale investors will come in and buy a lot of bitcoin even if the price was too high at the moment but I have seen some news that this pump was due to banks putting their money on bitcoin right now then will pull out an amount that would make the price plummets down so they can buy again, This is kind of manipulative strategy regarding the much amount they have in bitcoin, well this is just my assumption regarding the pump that we are experiencing right now.
AlexW333

Activity: 924
Merit: 18

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 10:55:33 AM

I hope it push BTC to top
nothreat (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:00:55 AM

They say that new whale investors will come in and buy a lot of bitcoin even if the price was too high at the moment but I have seen some news that this pump was due to banks putting their money on bitcoin right now then will pull out an amount that would make the price plummets down so they can buy again, This is kind of manipulative strategy regarding the much amount they have in bitcoin, well this is just my assumption regarding the pump that we are experiencing right now.

Dirty pool indeed.

Isn't this why we moved to crypto in the first place; to avoid bank interference?

Perhaps someone could track large BTC movements that may be attributable to City manipulation. (Known addresses.)

If this is not possible perhaps someone could lobby for full disclosure by the banks.
Perhaps trading sites should apply special rules to City institutions.

This type of market manipulation would not be considered legal with fiat currency markets so why should it be legal with crypto?
zais

Activity: 196
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:21:56 AM

Hi all,

It has become really noticeable, particularly in my LinkedIn feed, that people are getting really excitable about what effect these new Bitcoin futures contracts will have on the price of Bitcoin.

There are a number of implications here:

1. Are these contracts underpinned by any actual BTC?
2. Was the recent price hike caused by market manipulation by investors in this new City product?
3. Are people confusing these contracts with investment in real Bitcoin?
4. What are the future implications to the Bitcoin community from these new City players?
5. The Blockchain has ground to a halt with well over 100MB in the mempool over all this hype. How do we fix it?

Feels free chip in with any other concerns ...

Thanks

Futures contracts are cash contracts based on bitcoin auction price in U.S. dollars. at Gemini Exchange, owned and operated by virtual currency businessman Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss.
nothreat (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:37:31 AM

Futures contracts are cash contracts based on bitcoin auction price in U.S. dollars. at Gemini Exchange, owned and operated by virtual currency businessman Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss.

Do the twins have an account on Bitcointalk?
Perhaps they could chip in with their thoughts?  Wink

nothreat (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:57:45 AM

Seem that this topic has been continued in another thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2559333.0

So locking this one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: