Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:55:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Onda D1800 and 6x Vega56: Windows barely working  (Read 440 times)
dragonmike (OP)

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 02:41:30 PM

So I installed my 6 Vega 56's onto that new Chinese Onda D1800 board, plugged in a 120GB SSD and installed Win10 onto it.

It was behaving normally until I installed the Blockchain drivers. Then everything in Windows became terrible. Click-latency. Start-button not working. Starting an app does not work until I right-click on the start button. Everything is extemely "sticky" and only starts whenever it wants to.

That behaviour only starts after I've installed video drivers (not only the blockchain drivers - the ones that Windows install automatically are displaying the exact same behaviour.

In some cases trying to start anything will result in an error message (Explorer.exe - System Call Failed).

Re-installing Windows does not fix it. The stickiness re-appears as soon as I get any video driver on.

I am able to run the miner software so it's not the end of the world... But trying to tweak, change things, testing becomes extremely painful, if it even works at all.

Anyone experienced anything similar? At this stage, I don't know if it's driver related, GPU related, Mobo related or a combination of all...  Undecided
dragonmike (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 10:40:38 PM

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

I realise it's quite difficult to explain what's going on, but literally I need to generate a click-fest to get stuff to start. The actual start button displays the pressing "effect" (i.e. it darkens) when clicked on, but doesn't actually open the start menu. It's all very very weird.
bittawm
Legendary

Activity: 1894
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:48:43 PM

I have heard Onda boards need some tweaking to get going, including downloading latest motherboard drivers

@bittawm is my real telegram
@bittawm is my real twitter
beware of impersonators
dragonmike (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:49:51 PM

I have heard Onda boards need some tweaking to get going, including downloading latest motherboard drivers
I managed to flash it with the most recent bios but it didn't actually change anything to the Windows behaviour. Haven't found any drivers so far. Might try to look for them again...
DaiKaX

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:06:49 PM

I had the same problem with the start button and programs requiring right clicking to start and overall sluggishness on my 6 vega rig with asrock mobo. Wiped out windows 10 (1709) fall creator's update and installed win10 1607 with blockhchain drivers and everything has been working great. Uptime has been about 2 weeks+ mining 24/7 at 1970 hs per card.
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:52:50 PM

It was behaving normally until I installed the Blockchain drivers. Then everything in Windows became terrible. Click-latency. Start-button not working. Starting an app does not work until I right-click on the start button. Everything is extemely "sticky" and only starts whenever it wants to.

I've had this exact same stickiness on Win10 1709 with 17.11.1/2 and Rx 570's on an ASUS B250 mining expert motherboard, so I'm not sure if this is an issue with the Onda board.
In my case switching around/replacing a couple of risers helped solve the issue. I'd recommend trying to test the system with 1 GPU, then 2 and so on to see if one of the slot/card combinations is causing the stickyness.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
ronnieb

Activity: 198
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:39:09 PM

whats your virtual memory set to?
Q_R_V

Activity: 428
Merit: 250

Inactivity: 8963

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 07:17:33 AM

http://www.onda.cn/Search.aspx
Just to be sure, driver for this board is somewhere there?
dragonmike (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 09:34:09 AM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It definitely only gets sticky after installing the video drivers and I'm on 1709 so it could be any kind of combination.

I've been running the miner fine over the last few weeks so the stickiness and unresponsiveness of the UI hasn't impacted the actual mining. It's just annoying when you need to do stuff (updates etc). No big deal in the end.
duyquang06

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 10:33:05 AM

Do 1703 Pro version.
Do Install driver AMD only, uncheck anything else.

bill121

Activity: 40

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 10:39:20 AM

I have this problem occasionally too, with the Pro BTC Mb. When this happens the only way I've found to fix it is to use the AMD driver uninstall tool and install them again. Using blockchain drivers windows 10 6x VGA rig
dragonmike (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:29:58 AM

Out of curiosity, is it possible to install Windows 10 Pro and running it without registering it, just like you can with the home version?
bill121

Activity: 40

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:54:49 AM

Out of curiosity, is it possible to install Windows 10 Pro and running it without registering it, just like you can with the home version?

Yeah in currently running one machine still not registered with no issues so far, been running for a couple months now.
dragonmike (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 12:05:52 PM

Yeah in currently running one machine still not registered with no issues so far, been running for a couple months now.
Good to know. Is there any benefit of running Pro vs Home when it comes to mining? On all my rigs I've only actually installed home versions...
bostonvex

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:11:34 PM

Good to know. Is there any benefit of running Pro vs Home when it comes to mining? On all my rigs I've only actually installed home versions...

Mike, I had the same issue after installing a Windows Update and always thought it was that causing the issue. Eventually reinstalled Windows and didn't update and the issue dissipated.

This guy had a similar issue...https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2317406.msg23534925#msg23534925
dragonmike (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:54:03 PM

Okay - oh well. A Windows update breaking things. How unheard of!
As said, no massive deal as it doesn't seem to impact mining performance at all. Just a bit of an annoyance when I need to tinker with the rig for whatever reason. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: