Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:19:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The average person will not care about the technological benefits of blockchain  (Read 192 times)
Peter Murr (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 04:00:33 PM

The most commonly stated benefits of blockchains are decentralization, immutability, transparency, security, etc. I'm primarily concerned with blockchains as a technological advancement on the scale of the Internet, not just as a payments ledger. In other words, I'm talking about Ethereum/NEO/Qtum, not Bitcoin/Litecoin/etc.
The average person wouldn't understand how blockchains work, so they have to trust others when people say blockchains are transparent, immutable, etc. Programmers would read the source code for popular DApps and tell laypeople which DApps are trustworthy. This requires laypeople to trust programmers. This is like Facebook employees telling non-employees that Facebook isn't processing background audio data, but we can't know for sure if they're telling the truth. It's true that anyone can learn how to read code and understand blockchains, but the average person wouldn't have the time to do so.
Some other commonly stated benefits of blockchains relate specifically to money. Cryptocurrencies get processed faster, cost less to transfer (unless you're using Bitcoin), and you own it. However, you could also have these benefits without blockchains; there's a reason why banks are the way they are.
Bank transfers are slow because they intentionally wait a few days to make it easier to reverse transactions in case of fraud. Eventually, I think there will be so much cryptocurrency fraud that fraud-prevention systems will have to be used, but these systems will be much slower than sending cryptocurrencies directly. Banks can also cost more to make transfers because you're paying for the services that banks provide, such as being able to reverse your transaction if there's fraud. If you want to own money and transfer it directly to others, just use cash and mail it. People used banks in the first place so their money didn't get lost. You can get a Cryptosteel, but it's still nowhere as secure as a bank.
I think the main benefits of blockchains to an average person is working against governments and laws, as opposed to solving a technological problem. For example, sending money across borders is troublesome, which cryptocurrencies can fix. However, this isn't a technological problem, it's merely a legal problem. Another example is combating government censorship, in case of a dystopian future or in a place like China. However, the average person in China doesn't care about government censorship, since it doesn't affect their pursuit of their goals. An average Chinese person doesn't care if the government is suppressing news about a protest, since it doesn't affect their ability to pursue a happy life. So even if the government suppresses information but the blockchain contains the truth, I don't think the average person would care much.
It'll be great if you could change my view. What technological benefits do blockchains bring to the average person?
xiaoyum

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

Blockchain with solar energy

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 04:02:37 PM

Average person is always going to learn about basic finance, not caring tech.
So I can see average person learning benefits of blockchain (low fees for international transactions or taxless nature) But I also think they won't learn about bitcoin's nature.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  [     CRYPTOS⚫LARTECH      ]  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
  White Paper     ||   BLOCKCHAIN & ENERGY FOR A BETTER WORLD   ||     One Pager 
Telegram      Facebook      Twitter      [[     TOKEN SALE is LIVE     ]]      Medium      Youtube      Reddit
iram1011

Activity: 896
Merit: 521

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 04:21:55 PM

Indeed!

These traders are only concerned with ROI and nothing much. People search for coins with utility but would never actually use it for more than trading. Usually coins with utility have higher demand and thus better price. People invest in them so that some Mr. X will use it and that will increase the demand and hence price. So, that they can sell at profit. This is the reality of altcoin market. Nobody cares about technology.
rayk

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 04:30:32 PM

The average person actually cares nothing but money. Understanding and learning this technology requires a lot of time, most people have it but they spend it for money.
MiiDoViic

Activity: 308
Merit: 119

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 04:50:34 PM

It's just like computers . When we first where introduced to them ,we didn't care about how it works or how all those programs function .We only cared about using it and benefiting from it by making it doing our tasks. Same for cryptocurrencies ,the average person do not care how it works . All they care about is that it's a very complicated set of codes which are very safe and hard to crack ,and if investing in it will give them a good profite.
ghonkz

Activity: 459
Merit: 117

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 04:53:37 PM

cant argue with that, i mean me my self not really interesting about all that except is a really great and new daps.
g4r1n1m

Activity: 238
Merit: 104

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 04:56:53 PM

yep.. thats why average person wont be able to make right predictions too
its all about the tech and if you cant see the technological benefits you wont be able to choose the right projects to invest in
babsjoe

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 05:05:46 PM

One thing that is common to all people all over the world is that an average people desire freedom! Whether they are aware of that desire or not (Chinese) is irrelevant! There is a longing in our soul as human to attain a level of self- awareness, self-fulfillment and attainment! Many of these longings is made possible with blockchain and cryptocurrency in particular!
Bloody Mary

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:33:58 AM

I only can say that times of widespred cryptocurrency have come and now cant deny it..for example, now you even could be encourage by tokens watching advs during using some programs..Im talking about mytimecoin project now
Ktsy

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 12:59:43 PM

I only can say that times of widespred cryptocurrency have come and now cant deny it..for example, now you even could be encourage by tokens watching advs during using some programs..Im talking about mytimecoin project now

I  think that its great that crypto is becoming more available for all nowday..I think that it s smart currrency ..but about which project are you talking about?
Peter Murr (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:55:50 AM

I  think that its great that crypto is becoming more available for all nowday..I think that it s smart currrency ..but about which project are you talking about?

Ive checked their website and noticed that they have really seriuops advisors ..so, Im planning to invest min 30 $ heheh
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: