Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:01:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember when this looked like the end of the world?  (Read 638 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 06:57:51 PM

I was remembering the good old times and saw this:

Back then, a lot of people sold their bitcoins, and never came back. These people are of course hating themselves for life. People like this:

This guy saw a huge, unsustainable bubble at $15, the price went as high as $30+ before the correction. These are the type of guys that are perma-bears and hate people that held it and will try to make you dump just to feel better about how wrong they were.

And also realize how the % of volatility has went down a lot, even with the current ups and downs.

Study the price and the perspective that people had back then to get a better picture.
FrueGreads
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 07:40:30 PM

Let's not judge them like this. I wasn't a holder at that time, I didn't even knew bitcoin back then, so that guy was still ahead of a lot of people. Maybe he changed his mind and bought more, as many of us do, now that bitcoin keeps showing us that is here to stay, and progresses through every obstacle it encounters during the way, like silk road, mtgox, hard forks, china ban, etc.
It's not easy to know what to do with such a new technology. Bitcoin has value, but no one knows how it will evolve, and not everyone can risk it, so I can't blame him for those comments.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

brushtooth

Activity: 90
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 07:46:38 PM

Back then, a lot of people sold their bitcoins, and never came back. These people are of course hating themselves for life. People like this:

This guy saw a huge, unsustainable bubble at $15, the price went as high as $30+ before the correction. These are the type of guys that are perma-bears and hate people that held it and will try to make you dump just to feel better about how wrong they were.

And also realize how the % of volatility has went down a lot, even with the current ups and downs.

Study the price and the perspective that people had back then to get a better picture.

We do not know the guys circumstances anyway, while he may have sold and missed out on huge value, he also may have invested his life savings at 1c and sold out a very rich man, I'm sure although he would like the extra millions he could still be very happy with his bitcoin transactions. You cannot ever regret the past in this industry or it will eat away at you. Where do you see that the percentage volatility has decreased? This can not be seen from the graph.

kaya11

Activity: 1316
Merit: 110

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 08:09:32 PM

They are dragging us down and hoping we repeat their sorrowful mistakes, thanks to them we have gained knowledge about how they will blabber and force holders to sell their Bitcoins. Can't they just be permanently gone and leave the rest to us, if they could not forget those days, why not just shut their mouths and watch us until they die of jealousy.

merchantofzeny

Activity: 1036
Merit: 279

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 08:30:30 PM

Well, hindsight is 20/20. It would have taken a lot of trust to hold it from 2011. They just did what seemed like a reasonable action for them back then. They saw that they'd already get enough profit by selling and so they did.

IMHO though the more reasonable action would have been to leave some if they have much more than enough of what they invested. Leaving some bitcoins wouldn't have been a loss anyway.
sindikat

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 08:40:58 PM

What are you talking about? Why feel sorry for those who sold their bitcoins? They had the opportunity then to buy your coins back. I'm sure many people did. Now, too many people buy and sell bitcoins every day. You all will feel sorry for them? Perhaps in the future bitcoin will be worth $ 100,000. What are we not to sell the coins today?
szpalata

Activity: 686
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 08:52:04 PM

What are you talking about? Why feel sorry for those who sold their bitcoins? They had the opportunity then to buy your coins back. I'm sure many people did. Now, too many people buy and sell bitcoins every day. You all will feel sorry for them? Perhaps in the future bitcoin will be worth $ 100,000. What are we not to sell the coins today?

Exactly, why feel sorry for such folks  who thought themselves  to be wise and sold their bitcoins  for their fiats. I don't sympathize with them one bit. It's a lesson  for our generation also to learn and not sell at the hearing of a dip or any negative news.
megynacuna

Activity: 756
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 09:42:45 PM

Panic sellers deserve their fate and we should not feel pity form them at all because had it not been those  who kept faith in bitcoin and held their stake in it would it have grown to this value that we are all singing about today? so i don't think they have a part in the merry making.
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 01:20:30 AM

Well, hindsight is 20/20. It would have taken a lot of trust to hold it from 2011. They just did what seemed like a reasonable action for them back then. They saw that they'd already get enough profit by selling and so they did.

IMHO though the more reasonable action would have been to leave some if they have much more than enough of what they invested. Leaving some bitcoins wouldn't have been a loss anyway.
I cannot say what I would have done at that point because I was not around that time in fact at that time I did not even know what bitcoin was, however I think in order to hold bitcoin for a long time you need a lot more than trust you need to really believe in bitcoin technology, you need to believe it is going to change the world and the way we do things, if you don't then holding for a long time is impossible.
TimtheYoutuber

Activity: 1708
Merit: 125

www.positivebetting.com

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2017, 01:58:35 AM

It is easy to say bitcoin is amazing when you see the current price of it. If you could predict the price back then, you would be a millionaire today. And maybe even in the hundreds of millionaires. Not many people saw the magnitude or with there risk investment strategy they sold some. ( Which from the current price today is a obvious mistake. )

You can like something, but unevaluate it.

Positivebetting
alisafidel58

Activity: 364
Merit: 127

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 02:47:08 AM

You cant blame that guy if he was a little negative about bitcoin back then, there were major issues concern bitcoin at that time with only limited user and no companies accepted bitcoin, i think there were few traders involving the flow of that price in 2011, but still you can see those kind of guys lurking in this forum.
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:26:19 AM

I can't really blame them. They were obviously wrong to pull out in hindsight, but the decision might have made some sense at the time. Bitcoin being priced in cents must have been fresh at their minds at the time. There are always people saying Bitcoin is overpriced, mostly after a furious bull run, and I tend to agree sometimes, only to be proven wrong.

Past event certainly teaches you that it's not smart to bet against Bitcoin, but it's human nature to exercise caution.

Also, I don't think this certain person is trying to get others to dump. He was cautious because of the massive increase and seemed to be genuinely airing out his concerns.

salihno71

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:27:00 AM

This is the perfect example of how ungrateful is to predict anything in crypto world since things change in a different manner than in the fiat world. Just look at the 2017. How many have predicted 17k$+ at the end of 2017? It was beyond even the most optimistic expectations, and yet, here we are.
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 03:10:58 PM

Im not saying you should say that people that said bitcoin would fail and how "it was too late" and sold back in 2011 should be blamed, it probably was the logical thing to do back then all things considered.

What im saying is that, if you are still saying that bitcoin will fail in 2017 because "it doesn't scale", "fees are too high", "it's too slow", or "this or that government will destroy it" etc, then you still haven't understood anything (and you have had plenty of time) so when we are at $100k and we look back at threads like this, you will have no excuse. The information and liquidity of Bitcoin is not what it was in 2011, there's no excuse anymore. Panic sellers will be judged by history as they fall into the wrong side of it.
haroldtee

Activity: 644
Merit: 299

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 03:39:42 PM

You cant blame that guy if he was a little negative about bitcoin back then, there were major issues concern bitcoin at that time with only limited user and no companies accepted bitcoin, i think there were few traders involving the flow of that price in 2011, but still you can see those kind of guys lurking in this forum.
Right. It is easy for us to make some decisions now when bitcoin is more established and then we see huge adoption coming in. It was a totally different ball game back then and it took only those with some balls to really pull through. We can all throw darts, but we have all been worried and how we decided to put some information into our worries and make decisions based on that was all that counted. It is one of those things, but I am sure a lot of them would not have decided to just sell everything as that would not have been a nice move.
thoerz18

Activity: 194
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 03:51:06 PM

humans do not know exactly when the end of the world but the signs of the end times can be seen one example is the number of earthquake events. Earth inhabited by humans is getting older and continental shifts of aging plates make the earthquake more frequent. This is one of the signs of the end times
ReLieD

Activity: 546
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:00:39 PM

Ahh , I fell that . I even feel regretful for spending my btc earlier. Although I knew that one day Bitcoin will become this costly still I used it. I never expected Bitcoin to grow soo fast so early. Now I have learnt a lesson and then now I have decided to just save up . No Matter how bad btc falls I'm just going to hold.

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█          ▄         ▄      ▄▄▄▄▄
█       ▄███      ▄███      █████
█        ████      ████     ▀▀▀▀▀
█         ████      ████
█          ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█           █████████████████████
█            ▀█████▄   ▀█████▄
█              ▀█████▀   ▀█████▀
█                 ▀▀        ▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄▄█
eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:03:05 PM

I was around for the lowest of the lows and slow steady downtrend from the gox bubble. It looked like BTC was dieing dropping under $200 and then forever riding that 200-300 bottom level.. Things did not look good.. I even had a bit of coin at that huge crash..

It looked like the end of bitcoin...

I sold over half of what I had accumulated when it came back up around $300 to fund a project I had, and I was really broke then..
But I held on to a good enough chunk to do it all over again, build my coinage up..

This time I was able to build up about 3X as much BTC but I'll admit I sold about 1/4 of my crypto just under $10k when it wasn't looking like it as going to breach the barrier..

I regret that a bit but I did great things with that money for my family for Xmas..
If it goes to $100k then oh well I made a poor choice..

I have studied the BTC all chart on coindesk many many time and scene the same patterns over and over in it.. I wasn't around when it was $30 but I get the idea..

As far as not buying more coin when I could.. Well, I never really could..
Until quite recently I haven't been in a position where I could put money into BTC.. It's pretty poor around here with a terrible economy..
I never bought any BTC but worked my tail off to make all my BTC.. Now what I've made is actually worth something..

You know if I simply had 10X as much BTC I might really be able to look at my life and decide how I wanted to use that money.. I could be free of the rat race for years on that.. But what I have now, eh, yeah it's a decent chink of change but not life altering really..

Deep down inside I knew this would happen.. I knew those patterns on that all chart would repeat themselves again, but I knew it in a kind of way that kept me going, working for more, but not in a way where I would put what little money I had into buying coin..

If I would have bought coin all I could maybe I would be pretty well off now, but it just wasn't justified and things are what they are..

I feel pretty grateful to bitcoin for what I do have really..

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
Lieldoryn

Activity: 630
Merit: 272

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:07:42 PM

You will never earn all the money in the world. So I think that constantly accumulate coins is a bad idea. How do you know what will happen tomorrow or in a few days? The price of the coins can be reduced and you will be left without anything that have accumulated over several years. You can randomly die (God forbid, of course). What is the meaning of life to save money to not take advantage of them.
dancingnancy

Activity: 661
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:21:04 PM

Don't bother with the thought of others. It's their own assumptions it's totally up to your own final decision. Back then bitcoin did not seem to have much potential becuase of it's scarce market cap but today it's soaring in poularity,price and demand.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: