Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 11:59:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking forward building a 6xGPUs altcoin mining rig  (Read 240 times)
bobrottenchild (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 10:12:56 PM

Hi,

I've been mining with my gaming rig for a few years and it's been a fun way to pay for games and gift cards from various suppliers to order online and now I'm looking forward building a custom mining rig for mining on altcoins pools such as MiningPoolHub and ZCoin.

1) I wanted some advice on what's currently the best bang for the buck rig to start with? Most particularly GPU-wise? I read and heard from friends GTX 1070 were a good spot but I'm pretty sure there's less expensive alternative.

2) Also what do you suggest to use as a rack? I'd like it to be as portable as possible so I can move it somewhere else once it's ready and stable.

3) AMD vs NVIDIA? Is there really a difference performance-wise and money-wise?

Any advice, suggestion or tips are welcome!

Thanks and have a nice day.
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:20:31 PM

do you own research on that and figure out what best fits your needs instead of coming here asking a ton of noob question that could of been answered if you simply looked

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Plant Power

Activity: 41

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:35:36 PM

Hi,

I've been mining with my gaming rig for a few years and it's been a fun way to pay for games and gift cards from various suppliers to order online and now I'm looking forward building a custom mining rig for mining on altcoins pools such as MiningPoolHub and ZCoin.

1) I wanted some advice on what's currently the best bang for the buck rig to start with? Most particularly GPU-wise? I read and heard from friends GTX 1070 were a good spot but I'm pretty sure there's less expensive alternative.

2) Also what do you suggest to use as a rack? I'd like it to be as portable as possible so I can move it somewhere else once it's ready and stable.

- There's two things to consider the up-front cost and the power consumption.. 1070's are known to be efficient to run.. in terms of bang for buck what can you get cheap in your local area, wait for Christmas or Boxing day sales and get something 20% off.. use benchmarks to figure out your ROI.. something you're familiar with can lead to less downtime

- Anything.. a milk crate.. a shoe rack.. a dish rack with cable ties.. a custom built aluminium or wooden frame with cable ties.. something you buy from ebay..

- Again this can be opinion.. Depends on what you want to mine and what you have been mining, they both have different software.. go with what you know to start with
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 12:11:51 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2017, 12:22:34 AM by gotminer

Hi,

- There's two things to consider the up-front cost and the power consumption.. 1070's are known to be efficient to run.. in terms of bang for buck what can you get cheap in your local area, wait for Christmas or Boxing day sales and get something 20% off.. use benchmarks to figure out your ROI.. something you're familiar with can lead to less downtime

- Anything.. a milk crate.. a shoe rack.. a dish rack with cable ties.. a custom built aluminium or wooden frame with cable ties.. something you buy from ebay..

- Again this can be opinion.. Depends on what you want to mine and what you have been mining, they both have different software.. go with what you know to start with

I just built my first 6 gpu rig last week.  I used six RX Vega 56's.  Soft power play to reduce my wattage from 1375 down to 1100.  Some have flashed the 56 cards with the 64 bios in order to do more power and memory tweaking, but I'm not interested in doing that at this time.  Not sure if it voids the warranty or not.  My rig is running stable and I'm very happy with the total hashrate.  Squeezing out a few more hashes and trading it for instability or voiding the warranty isn't worth it to me.

I bought an aluminum frame off Etsy for $70USD and all you get are the parts and instructions.  Still have to drill the holes yourself.  I'm in the process of building the second rig and ended up just going to a hardware store to buy the supplies I need for the next frame.  You can get everything you need for around $30USD.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z3QCqa4yoK9Act1w1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ywu62cj2uHU6Lqls1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PQl5oShTns0gKNMm2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WVBdKOzcOmjve1YJ3

P.S. ... How the F do you get images to appear.  Fucked up errors every time.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
bobrottenchild (OP)

Activity: 30

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 12:55:21 AM

Wow looks pretty good! I'm impressed! That's exactly what I'm looking for to building!

Must be performing well with all these Vegas! I heard they are very efficient.

Would you mind sharing what motherboard you are using?

Do you think a BIOSTAR TB250-BTC would work?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138449&cm_re=BIOSTAR_TB250-BTC%2b-_-13-138-449-_-Product

Somebody recommended me a BIOSTAR TB250-BTC+ but the lesser version cost way less so I'm curious.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAEGN6MV1417&cm_re=BIOSTAR_TB250-BTC%2b-_-9SIAEGN6MV1417-_-Product

Thanks for the help!
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 01:16:49 AM

I've not had any personal experience with the BioStar boards.  I recall them being mentioned in various articles that I read back when I had no idea what kind of hardware I was going to use.  I'm using an ASUS PRIME Z270-P.  They are around $120 on Amazon. 

So far so good.  If you use that one with more than 3 cards, update the bios.  Enable Above 4G Decoding and set the PCIE to Gen2.  I made other changes to the bios, but out of preference.  They weren't necessary to get more than 3 cards working. 

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: