Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 12:22:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much hash power do I need on a video card for mining alt cryptocoins?  (Read 298 times)
slickskin (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:20:13 PM

Hi, I'm new to this

Can I mine either Litecoin or Etherium using an amd or nvidia graphics card that one might have in a standard home gaming computer? How much hash power do I need. The card probably has about 25 MHash/s to 35 MHash/s

I know that's not a lot but would I be able to make even like a dollar a day with that?

What about graphics cards that are more advanced with 300 or more MHash/s but where I still only use one and not a whole rig?
cpmcgrat

Activity: 223
Merit: 21

DCAB

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 03:20:07 AM

Hi, I'm new to this

Can I mine either Litecoin or Etherium using an amd or nvidia graphics card that one might have in a standard home gaming computer? How much hash power do I need. The card probably has about 25 MHash/s to 35 MHash/s

I know that's not a lot but would I be able to make even like a dollar a day with that?

What about graphics cards that are more advanced with 300 or more MHash/s but where I still only use one and not a whole rig?

There are cards that have a large advantage over their counterparts for certain algorithms currently. Specifically, for Monero you can run a Vega 56/64 with cast xmr and get 2050 h/s with a single card where a 1070 gets 500 h/s. However, for Ethash you'd be hard pressed to get more than 45 MH/s out of any single card.

As for litecoin. I would not recommend mining that with a GPU. It has ASICs readily available

Member, Dero Community Advisory Board (DCAB)
Turkish88

Activity: 714
Merit: 104

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 05:25:35 AM

all specified algorithm's have different metgod for calculating hashes.
Zchash - sols ether hash's. For 1 usd per day you need something around GTX 1060
With gpu you cant mmine litecoin.  If you have nvidia try zec or ether.

Help to Ukrainian citizens
ETH donations adress - 0xe23CB47AC32F0b8750d4D0Dd4e160Fa6F8fF30EF
slickskin (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 05:53:22 AM

Zchash - sols ether hash's. For 1 usd per day you need something around GTX 1060
With gpu you cant mmine litecoin.  If you have nvidia try zec or ether.

I can't mine litecoin because it wouldn't be profitable or because the system won't even allow me to do that with a GPU?

joshuajones02

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 06:03:12 AM

With gpu you cant mmine litecoin.  If you have nvidia try zec or ether.

I can't mine litecoin because it wouldn't be profitable or because the system won't even allow me to do that with a GPU?

you can mine litecoin, but using a GPU you'd likely lose money or barely break even rather than making a profit because of electrical use. If you're going to have your GPU at high utilization for a long period of time, you might as well use it to something that would actually return that would eventually cover the cost of the unit. You're better off mining the ASIC resistant algorithms like Ethash, Equihash, etc

| World Fintech Startups | Microsoft Azure Partner | $1,5 M Raised During pre-ICO |
     BANKEX - Proof-of-Asset Protocol     
| WHITE PAPER | BLOGSLACKTELEGRAMBITCOINTALKGITHUBTWITTERYOUTUBEFACEBOOK |☰
m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 06:20:34 AM

There is no minimum hash power (also referred to as hash rate) to mine altcoins. You can mine with 25 or 30 MH or even 1 MH.

If your question is at what hash rate do you need for your computer to be profitable, then your answer will depend on your power consumption. Generally, the most popular and profitable graphics cards for mining right now are the RX 470/480/570/580 (if you can find any at regular prices). To estimate profitability, you can use calculators like whattomine.com

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
slickskin (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 06:23:39 PM

With gpu you cant mmine litecoin.  If you have nvidia try zec or ether.

you can mine litecoin, but using a GPU you'd likely lose money or barely break even rather than making a profit because of electrical use. If you're going to have your GPU at high utilization for a long period of time, you might as well use it to something that would actually return that would eventually cover the cost of the unit. You're better off mining the ASIC resistant algorithms like Ethash, Equihash, etc

If I buy an ASIC for LiteCoin, let's say litecoin runs its course in a year. Would I then be able to use the same piece of equipment to mine other altcoins?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: