Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:21:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support an ethereum hardfork to rescue millions locked in wallets and solve similar issues in the future
Yes, and want a generic upgrade to allow unlock of ether or token in case of contract failure - 1 (12.5%)
Yes, but just an upgrade for this particular type of issue - 0 (0%)
No - 7 (87.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An Ethereum hard fork looks likely to rescue millions locked in contracts  (Read 331 times)
rainbow169 (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:37:03 PM

About a month ago,  user “devops199”, triggered the flaw in the Parity Library code, apparently by accident. When they realised what they had done, they attempted to undo the damage by deleting the code which had transferred ownership of the funds. Rather than returning the money, however, that simply locked all the funds in those multisignature wallets permanently, with no way to access them.

Estimates of exactly how much of Ethereum's coins has been frozen vary widely. Low estimates put the figure at $150m but others suggest it could be as high as $300m. It is understood that a lot of the ICO project after 20th of July are impacted by this bug and have their funds frozen.

Parity has now sent out an update and propose options including hard fork to solve this issue and potentially similar contract issues in the future.

https://paritytech.io/blog/on-classes-of-stuck-ether-and-potential-solutions-2.html

Would you support such a hard fork?
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:45:17 PM

OMG, I accidentally paid $2 more for my coffee! FORK!

Not your keys, not your coins!
Beicin

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:49:23 PM

I'm against forking just to fix this whole frozen funds issue. But if they do it as a side objetive on a bigger hard fork like Constantinople (i think thats what the next one on the roadmap is called), then i'd be inclined to accept it. I hope people stop giving parity the benefit of the doubt, its the 2nd time they screwed up already.

Beerwizzard

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:59:55 PM

The forked coin won't save the frozen millions simply because those are millions worth of the original ETH. The forked coin defnetely won't have the same price so in the best case millions will become thousands. And projects won't give up trying to get the frozen money, It will be the extra profit with fork anyway. In this article there are more valuable solutions of this problem (like EIP156 by Vitalik Buterin).
JavaLove

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 12:51:02 AM

About a month ago,  user “devops199”, triggered the flaw in the Parity Library code, apparently by accident. When they realised what they had done, they attempted to undo the damage by deleting the code which had transferred ownership of the funds. Rather than returning the money, however, that simply locked all the funds in those multisignature wallets permanently, with no way to access them.

Estimates of exactly how much of Ethereum's coins has been frozen vary widely. Low estimates put the figure at $150m but others suggest it could be as high as $300m. It is understood that a lot of the ICO project after 20th of July are impacted by this bug and have their funds frozen.

Parity has now sent out an update and propose options including hard fork to solve this issue and potentially similar contract issues in the future.

https://paritytech.io/blog/on-classes-of-stuck-ether-and-potential-solutions-2.html

I know about the case with the locked coins and paritytech fail but I would NOT support such a hard-fork because this will be very dangerous precedent. What then? A hard-fork after hard-fork because of people mistakes?? This is against the whole conception of decentralization.

▄▄  ▄▄                 
            ██  ▀▀  ▀▀   ██           
        ██                   ██

██  ██  ▄▄             
     ██    ██           ▀▀  ▄▄        
                  ███       ▀▀         
   ██    ██   ███      ███     ██     
                          ███         
  ██   ██   ██    ███ ███    ▄▄   ██   
               ███           ▀▀       
  ██   ██  ███           ███  ██   ██ 
                     ███               
    ▄▄  ██    ███ ███     ▄▄  ██   ██ 
    ▀▀    ▄▄              ▀▀           
      ▄▄  ▀▀          ███    ██   ██   
      ▀▀      ██  ███                 
         ██              ███    ███   
             ██  ██  ███              
       ██                    ██       
           ███  ▄▄▄  ▄▄  ███           
                ▀▀▀  ▀▀               

STREAMITY

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
  Telegram
LinkedIn
Medium
singula

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 03:59:17 AM

Bitcoin had a hard fork in the past due to bug in core protocol (integer overflow allowed to create bitcoins out of thin air).
Is this a bug in core protocol, or just somebody badly programmed or secured a smart contract?

Where would you draw the line? $100K lost due to bad smart contract will not be hardforked, but $1M will?

Nope. Everybody should be responsible for their own mistakes and those could be costly sometimes. With FIAT one small programming mistake could also cost you or your company millions (like Knight capital lost $440M within few minutes due to "trading glitch"), so crypto is not different here. Deal with it. Real world does not have hardfork options to fix your mistakes Smiley

Big brother is not watching you anymore. Big brother is telling you how to live.
DroidR17A

Activity: 490
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:09:06 AM

A hard fork won't prevent bad coding. Parity wallet is ultimately at fault for not identifying the underlying issues with it's code - e.g. poor testing/QA. A service like Quantstamp may be able to help audit code and contracts to prevent future issues, but you have to be willing to pay the price upfront, or potentially a far heavier one further down the road when a bug reveals itself. There was talk of a fix to restore the missing tokens in the Constantinople fork. Anyone know whether that's still on the table?
Falgorn

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:53:09 AM

If a hard plug for solving this problem leads to the formation of a new coin, which we will use instead of ethereum, then I am definitely against such a tough fork. Moreover, many people say that this problem can not be solved by a rigid fork. I think that this problem should be tried in another way, without using a rigid fork. This will be a bad precedent for the crypto currency.
olubams

Activity: 798
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 06:12:40 AM

I want to believe that any form of hardfork is just another creation of a coin and not in anyway going to solve a problem. Just like the way we were made to believe that bitcoin forks will the myriad of issues facing it but unfortunately, we are only deceived because in spite of the several forks that have happened, the issues still remains.  In other words, the way out of this issue is just to find another way to bring out the funds because even hardfork is just chance and not a certainty that the issue will be solved.
otunayode

Activity: 462

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 06:56:45 AM

I definitely will support hard fork to rescue locked in wallet and contract. i know of few solid project that are suffering as a result of parity issue. Security  should also be worked on as well. Bitcoin is the most secure cryptocurrency till date!

[   BITVALVEⓇ   |   P2P crypto exchange   ]      ▬▬▬▬    THE MOST ADVANCED P2P
                                      Telegram        Twitter                   CRYPTO EXCHANGE PLATFORM
                                                    Bitcointalk      Facebook            [   ◾◾◾ JOIN ICO      WHITEPAPER   ]
illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:37:16 AM

What makes you think the hard fork is likely? I'm not surprised that Parity is pushing for it -- I assumed they would as soon as the news came out. But there are definitely some stakeholders that aren't interested in supporting a hard fork. This isn't like the DAO hack. I recall seeing one of the Augur devs firmly opposed to a hard fork to bail out the Parity wallets. It's too bad, as this brings some uncertainty to the market, which looks to be on the verge of breaking out.

I definitely will support hard fork to rescue locked in wallet and contract. i know of few solid project that are suffering as a result of parity issue. Security  should also be worked on as well.

How many times do you expect the entire ecosystem to hard fork over things like this? This isn't a protocol upgrade. This is just an application that was badly written. As time goes on and the ecosystem grows/stakeholders become more entrenched, hard forking in these cases is going to be problematic. Not everyone supports the fork. In fact, in rational terms, ETH holders are better off with those coins locked up -- less supply.
Makkara

Activity: 1064
Merit: 166

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:39:25 AM

OMG, I accidentally paid $2 more for my coffee! FORK!

this is getting ridiculous, there can't be a fork for every bad thing happening, this is just going to sink the credibility in the project  Roll Eyes

Pi Network - mining app for phone: https://minepi.com/spippolino
Blockfolio trading: https://blockfolio.com/trading?r=MvFRE7EX98
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: