Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:30:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OSX "Accept incoming connections" dialogue with startup of Bitcoin-QT and Armory  (Read 1779 times)
e4xit (OP)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 10:44:36 PM

Hi,

I would venture a guess that I am not alone here...

Every single time I startup either Bitcoin-QT or Armory on my iMac (OSX 10.8.4) my helpful firewall asks me

"Do you want the application “python”/"Bitcoin-QT" to accept incoming network connections?"

So, you might think that I could hit allow and this would add it to the allowed list... Well it does, however unfortunately this does not prevent the dialogue box with the next restart of the app(s)...

I have tried most things I can think of; removing the app(s) and re-installing, did not work. Finding (backing up) and deleting the plist files for the app(s), removing them from the firewall 'accepted' list, and then opening the apps again and adding manually to the firewall, did not work. Finding the UNIX executables (inside the .app files) and adding these to the firewall allow prefs, did not work either...

So I am out of ideas?? Also, before someone says it, I want to keep my firewall active; I know I could turn it off to lose the dialogues, all I really want to do is add these apps to the accept list.

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mnyonpa

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 01:14:52 PM

You could install Little Snitch and forget about the firewall. It costs some money but is totally worth it. It allows you to fine-grain network access of any application or daemon very precisely.

BTC address for donations: 1EEjkAqLXTxscD24D1S6aXWtxPUWxSkHcd
e4xit (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 03:52:08 PM

Hmmm, OK.

Well not quite the idea I am looking for, although I must admit that that program does look pretty neat indeed. I would though ideally like to be able to fix this without spending $30.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway

CoinJoin, always.
melon

Activity: 134

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 11:59:31 PM

if windows -control panel,system n settings .admin tools then click advanced firewall settings then change the rules for inbound connections...Linux not sure

Once was a man his name was Jed..had a lot of hair but it wasn't on his head !
melon

Activity: 134

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 12:12:18 AM

im interested myself and wondering if edge traversal (nat) allow rule would work if allowing through nat router to stop the popup question every restart... not sure

Once was a man his name was Jed..had a lot of hair but it wasn't on his head !
razorfishsl

Activity: 399

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 12:32:35 AM

Hi,

I would venture a guess that I am not alone here...

Every single time I startup either Bitcoin-QT or Armory on my iMac (OSX 10.8.4) my helpful firewall asks me

"Do you want the application “python”/"Bitcoin-QT" to accept incoming network connections?"

So, you might think that I could hit allow and this would add it to the allowed list... Well it does, however unfortunately this does not prevent the dialogue box with the next restart of the app(s)...

I have tried most things I can think of; removing the app(s) and re-installing, did not work. Finding (backing up) and deleting the plist files for the app(s), removing them from the firewall 'accepted' list, and then opening the apps again and adding manually to the firewall, did not work. Finding the UNIX executables (inside the .app files) and adding these to the firewall allow prefs, did not work either...

So I am out of ideas?? Also, before someone says it, I want to keep my firewall active; I know I could turn it off to lose the dialogues, all I really want to do is add these apps to the accept list.

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Thanks

This is EXACTLY what got google and android into a mess....... Validating an application at the start , then giving it free reign over the system after that....

You running your OSX with admin privs?

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
e4xit (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 08:35:53 AM

I'm 99% sure that I am. I am the sole user account as setup, but perhaps not logged in as 'Administrator' (if they have a hidden admin user like windoze does)...

How can I check this?

CoinJoin, always.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: