Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:15:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how much should i go over the electric usage for mining before utility storms in  (Read 594 times)
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

Activity: 394
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 07:08:43 AM

I was talking to a friendlenet and his friends' friend who was ramping up home electricity usage for cryptocoin mining and far exceeding the normal usage. The legend says at some point, public officials took a notice in his usage behavior and stormed into his dwelling (ok not actually storming because you'd need warrant but you get the idea Smiley ) and demanded to stop his mining operation.

Now since I started doing mining I thought to be careful not to go overboard, perhaps shooting for about increase in 20-30% otherwise daily usage. Do you think this range is OK or I can safely go more?

My summer time energy usage is about 200kw per month (severely limiting) and winter time shoots up to 800kw (for that perhaps i can dedicate about 400kw for mining and then reduce my winder wattage to about 600kw by turning off all useless electricity consuming stuff and burning wood.

Thanks.,
wtfonly16

Activity: 285
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 07:11:55 AM

BTCBTC

wtf in what country?

ye i aint bares
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 07:47:16 AM

USA buddy.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 07:52:22 AM

I'm calling BS. Having a high electric bill and using electricty you paid for to mine Crypto is not a crime in the US.
tadeus1

Activity: 140
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 07:59:15 AM

Utility companies are private not public.
you pay for what you use. Why would they care.
If you use more than the internal electrical wiring can handle it will either stop if more A fuse will kick in, or in bad wiring case - wires may get hot and eventually you risk fire.
You can calculate. Just go and check out your fuse for the place. Usually electrical outlets are on  15A which can be loaded constantly around 80%, which would be roughly 1440 watts. That assumes nothing else is connected on the same fuse. Sometimes 1 fuse can be for two rooms, etc.
Assuming residential use and 120volts

I think there is something else to the story which your friend is not telling you.
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:09:29 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2017, 08:28:15 AM by ggbtctalk000

ok i ll have to dig deeper for his stories then. if no limitation on usage, i will prefer that too!
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:28:00 AM

I'm sorry, but if this happens at all, it could only happen in Yutzville USA.

Why?

1) You need a warrant to enter anyone's abode.

2) If the morons are teeing off on high electrical usage, how do they know it's not an electric vehicle, a guy using an arc welder etc?

The lowest useful charging port for a Chevy Volt or a Tesla is a 240V 50A recepticle. Tesla's also have a special 80A charging port.

What happens in a rural area where only electricity is run out to your home?
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:30:58 AM

I'm sorry, but if this happens at all, it could only happen in Yutzville USA.

Why?

1) You need a warrant to enter anyone's abode.

2) If the morons are teeing off on high electrical usage, how do they know it's not an electric vehicle, a guy using an arc welder etc?

The lowest useful charging port for a Chevy Volt or a Tesla is a 240V 50A recepticle. Tesla's have a special 80A charging port.

What happens in a rural area where only electricity is run out to your home?

a very high utility can warrant probable cause which will allow them to enter, they will prolly think your growing pot but instead your mining. while its not illegal, if the irs is tipped off he will be screwed, taxes man btw an electric car isn't going to make you have a power bill like you would be mining, your not charging the car 24/7 rofl that would just be stupid

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Min3r2049r

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:31:12 AM

I have been getting high usage notices from my utility company, they aren't going do anything as long as I pay but they have noticed.
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:32:56 AM

I have been getting high usage notices from my utility company, they aren't going do anything as long as I pay but they have noticed.

not true man, it depends on the area. high power usage means you will be watched, it also depends on the power company. like my area I belive its around 30k watts and then they really watch what you are doing trying to figure out why you are using soo much power. could be during your billing period or by monthly

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:17:21 AM

I heard about those stories, cops looking at utility usage to detect clandestine marijuana cultivation, and storming your house to look for it, but i think that if you do something "legal" with the electricity there shouldn't be an issue, but you never know, with the growing interest in crypto, maybe there is also something to do with the IRS looking for illegal business undeclared (crypto, workshops, and so on), power company being private could also ask you to stop because you overload part of their power delivery system that may not be up to snuff because they wanted to save money somewhere.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:26:49 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2017, 10:19:18 AM by Vann

High electrical use in itself is not illegal or evidence of a crime and therefore not a basis for probable cause of illegal activity for a judge to issue a search warrant.
hanskan

Activity: 336

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:50:59 AM

I wouldn't worry about it my electricity usage jumped more than 10-fold to nearly 5 MW per month and noone has given a single fuck. been 6 months
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:09:11 PM

I wouldn't worry about it my electricity usage jumped more than 10-fold to nearly 5 MW per month and noone has given a single fuck. been 6 months

is this your dwelling? home or condo 5mw is big!.
hanskan

Activity: 336

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:56:27 PM

yes, own home. 100A 3-phase, so i could get out much more if i wanted.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 01:00:33 AM

yes, own home. 100A 3-phase, so i could get out much more if i wanted.

What year was your home built?  Mine is 200A 3-phase.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2017, 01:04:32 AM

i have 400 amp service at my house and run 30 machines on it + home operations.  As long as you pay the bill why the hell would the electric company care.  If you are growing weed and mining then you have some worries....

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
crazydane

Activity: 558
Merit: 194

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 01:24:03 AM
Last edit: December 13, 2017, 01:42:24 AM by crazydane

I have 10 rigs atm consuming about 10kw 24/7.  I have 400A service but plan to add a 2nd 400A service to my shop building and move everything there in the spring.  I've got S9's inbound in February I hope.

I keep pretty close tabs on my usage:

My solar arrays helps push energy back into the grid during sunny days, even now 10 days away from the shortest day of the year.

My POCO hasn't "stormed in" yet.  In fact, I have been talking to them about getting commercial rates and what all is involved.  They know I'm mining.  I live in the sticks in Virginia and my POCO is a CO-OP.  They have been really great to deal with over the years, but I'm sure YMMV.
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 03:59:14 AM

I have 10 rigs atm consuming about 10kw 24/7.  I have 400A service but plan to add a 2nd 400A service to my shop building and move everything there in the spring.  I've got S9's inbound in February I hope.

I keep pretty close tabs on my usage:

My solar arrays helps push energy back into the grid during sunny days, even now 10 days away from the shortest day of the year.

My POCO hasn't "stormed in" yet.  In fact, I have been talking to them about getting commercial rates and what all is involved.  They know I'm mining.  I live in the sticks in Virginia and my POCO is a CO-OP.  They have been really great to deal with over the years, but I'm sure YMMV.

thanks for low down. Loosk like you live in house? DO you have to have special agreement or plan with utility? I live in condo so solar is pretty much non-option.
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:00:32 AM

LOOKS LIKE RESPONSES AND EXPERIENCES ARE DIFFERENT, PERHAPS MAY BE IF YOU ALL COULD INDICATE YOUR APPROX LOCATION (CITY/STATE) THAT WILL GIVE A GOOD INDICATION ON WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN OTHERS SEE.

I LIVE IN BAY AREA, AND JUST STARTED MINING.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: