Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:46:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you protect bitcoin from an Electro-Magnetic Pulse?  (Read 8383 times)
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 08:53:24 PM

While thinking about the possible attacks against bitcoin holdings the threat of Electro-Magnetic Pulses popped up. So my questions are:

1. How susceptible are bitcoin holdings to Electro-Magnetic Pulses (whether they be highly targeted or a more generalized attack)?

and

2. What are some of the possible defenses?

Thanks,
Trader Steve

This attack scenario is reduced to the question "What will we do if the internet is attacked?"

The answer is - nothing, routing protocols will allow traffic to continue as long as some routers are still active. If the network is swamped to the degree of nothing getting across, or massive damage, then we have bigger problems than protecting our wallets.

Given that the internet was designed to survive massive damage, I'd say we have an advantage over non-decentralized systems.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 09:01:10 PM

To protect myself from EMP. I encrypted my wallet (I used GPG but you can choose your favorite tool). I created a QR code with qrencode. I printed the QR code on a piece of paper. Keep the paper into a safe place.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:29:42 AM

My bitcoins are safe because they're on a Paper Bitcoin Wallet.  (see sigline)
Paper is only safe from hackers that don't act on meatspace as well, and also it still doesn't rule out the possibility of data corruption

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:34:09 AM

If you're talking about an EMP taking down large parts of the Bitcoin network, well, let's just say you'll have more pressing concerns if that happens.

Exactly.  It's hilarious how some people think Bitcoin will save them in some sort of global catastrophe.  Potable water, food, shelter, Guns/Ammo, and maybe gold/silver will be way more important in a mass EMP attack then stupid bits of code.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:34:26 AM

How do you protect bitcoin from an Electro-Magnetic Pulse?

Faraday Cage.

-
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:42:18 AM

CD/DVD backup.  Make one.  That's about the only storage medium I can think of that would survive EMP.  Even a flashdrive would be toast - it doesn't have to be connected to the grid (or anything) with an EMP blast.
randomguy7

Activity: 527

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:44:21 AM

Put your backup into a safe. Should work as faraday cage.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:52:45 AM

Have you tried putting a CD on a microwave oven? Is that too far from an EMP?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
epi 1:10,000

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:54:15 AM

Faraday cage w/ a beefy series mode surge suppression followed by a good conventional surge suppressor.  Or you could go the cheaper and more practical route of online distributed international backup. In case both of these fail follow this guide:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=zombie+survival+guide&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4948039778986383934&sa=X&ei=CQ8RTof2CI2osAKyjK32CQ&ved=0CCsQ8wIwAQ

foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 03:02:17 AM

It's hilarious how some people think Bitcoin will save them in some sort of global catastrophe.

No, the question was not how to protect bitcoin to save us from disaster, this is about us saving the bitcoin system for the future. .

Humanity does recover from disasters, you know. It would be nice to have bitcoin intact so we can carry on using it when the infrastructure is rebuilt. Cause you know, it was a hell of a lot of work to create!

Ironically, owning gold during a crisis, is next to useless also, because its value will be greatly diminished compared to vital commodities like clean food, water, and blankets. Might as well just save it, bury it somewhere and 10 years down the road it will come in very handy.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 03:34:33 AM

Wrap your head with material to make a Faraday Cage... it will protect you from anything bad. Tin foil is a good material for this.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 03:55:49 AM

Have you tried putting a CD on a microwave oven? Is that too far from an EMP?
Pretty sure that microwaves and EMP waves are completely different, but you could be right.
kloinko1n

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 04:48:22 AM

I don't think they're worth all too much if half the internet is in range of EMP blasts. Otherwise, just have an encrypted backup on a server elsewhere.

Anyways, try not to live where there's a high chance of a nuclear war.
In other words: move from the northern to the southern continent. South Africa of South America.
dood001

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 04:50:31 AM

Make sure you keep them under a highly conductive surface layer.
walidzohair

Activity: 184

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 05:25:46 AM

pardon me sir. but at this point these are the safety instructions:

1) Get the wallet on a flash stick.
2) Wrap the flash stick with kitchen foil.
3) Stick it in naturally protected smelly hole.

Cheesy

again off-site backup is not the solution as it is not protected itself. and ol'paper wont hold your wallet.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 05:53:57 AM

CD/DVD backup.  Make one.  That's about the only storage medium I can think of that would survive EMP.  Even a flashdrive would be toast - it doesn't have to be connected to the grid (or anything) with an EMP blast.

+1 Optical storage is EMP reistant.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:24:34 AM

How can I print out my wallet.dat to paper, in letters/numbers, and then how can I make it back into a usable wallet.dat file?

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
stergium

Activity: 655

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 01:46:51 PM

How can I print out my wallet.dat to paper, in letters/numbers, and then how can I make it back into a usable wallet.dat file?
i think that you will find answers here. http://www.casascius.com/

+1
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 01:50:07 PM

While thinking about the possible attacks against bitcoin holdings the threat of Electro-Magnetic Pulses popped up. So my questions are:

1. How susceptible are bitcoin holdings to Electro-Magnetic Pulses (whether they be highly targeted or a more generalized attack)?

and

Thanks,
Trader Steve

Uncouple the Heisenberg Compensators!
mjoz

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 01:52:54 PM

and

Thanks,
Trader Steve

In the event of an EMP you probably have much larger problems than worrying about your digital cash Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: