Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 12:32:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a rig looking for advice on GPU's  (Read 293 times)
Moonunit1 (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 01:41:36 PM

Hi All,

I have a few cpu miners running claymore (monero) and a CPU /GPU rig running both claymore CPU (monero) and dual coin GPU miner (Eth and Dcr).

I am looking at building a more GPU based rig. I have a decent chassis (old rack mount DVR) with an Asus P8Z77-V LX2 Board. This board has:
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (blue) *1
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
2 x PCI

i5 cpu (cant remember the exact model)

akasa venom 750w psu

Hdd can be any, I have both plate and ssd available so will probably go with a 120 gb ssd

I think this should take at least 3 decent cards.

I have 4 chassis cooling fans built in 1 cpu and GPU's will have their own.

Any recommendations on cards for this config?

Power is essentially free so not a huge issue.

Cheers
Asgaroth

Activity: 49

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 01:52:23 PM

I'm very very very new to mining so take my recommendations with a pinch of salt, I'm sure some guru's would correct me if I'm wrong.

To start off with:
  (a) AMD RX 4XX/5XX range are pretty good for dual mining. Personally I went with PowerColor Red Devil Gold Sample RX 580 8GB cards.
  (b) nVidia GTX 1060/1070 range are pretty good too. Personally I went with Zotac AMP! Extreme 1070 TI cards

Both of the above cards were evaluated on the BitsBeTrippin youtube channel if you want to pop over there and see what they are capable of.

I guess it all boils down to your budget and how many you want to run. The AMD RX Vega's seem to be kicking ass with CryptoNight algorythm too.
Moonunit1 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 02:02:29 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2017, 02:13:13 PM by Moonunit1

I'm very very very new to mining so take my recommendations with a pinch of salt, I'm sure some guru's would correct me if I'm wrong.

To start off with:
  (a) AMD RX 4XX/5XX range are pretty good for dual mining. Personally I went with PowerColor Red Devil Gold Sample RX 580 8GB cards.
  (b) nVidia GTX 1060/1070 range are pretty good too. Personally I went with Zotac AMP! Extreme 1070 TI cards

Both of the above cards were evaluated on the BitsBeTrippin youtube channel if you want to pop over there and see what they are capable of.

I guess it all boils down to your budget and how many you want to run. The AMD RX Vega's seem to be kicking ass with CryptoNight algorythm too.

Thanks for the reply. I will build up to the max possible on this board / chassis config.

So as a starter card, something like this? ONE To start with then as I have more cash I could do another 2 of these on that board?

The main board has one PCIe3 slot so I should go with that or maybe XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition - 8GB then a couple of PCIe2 cards, one of these >>> Sapphire cards

So many options! Easy to have your head melted!
Asgaroth

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 02:24:11 PM

I see you're hailing from Ireland, as am I.

I couldn't find a decent price for AMD RX 580's in Ireland, so I ended up at SCAN in the UK, still cheaper than any shop in Ireland that I could find and, that's including the shipping.

The one I linked to above you could probably slot into the 1 x PCIe x 16 slot you have, to get started at least, the rest, I'm guessing you will need to get decent riser cards for.

My understanding thus far is that the PCIe slots do not need to run at generation 2/3, in fact, some sites I've read suggest that, for mining, you should set the PCIe slots to Gen 1 to avoid potential hassles.

Another thing to bear in mind, from my reading around, is that the AMD cards perform at their optimal when you flash their BIOS's to a modified BIOS, so, with that in mind, I went for the card I linked to in this post, as the BBT video on this card also had a link to the BIOS he created for this card/memory configuration.
Moonunit1 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 02:53:59 PM

I see you're hailing from Ireland, as am I.

I couldn't find a decent price for AMD RX 580's in Ireland, so I ended up at SCAN in the UK, still cheaper than any shop in Ireland that I could find and, that's including the shipping.

The one I linked to above you could probably slot into the 1 x PCIe x 16 slot you have, to get started at least, the rest, I'm guessing you will need to get decent riser cards for.

My understanding thus far is that the PCIe slots do not need to run at generation 2/3, in fact, some sites I've read suggest that, for mining, you should set the PCIe slots to Gen 1 to avoid potential hassles.

Another thing to bear in mind, from my reading around, is that the AMD cards perform at their optimal when you flash their BIOS's to a modified BIOS, so, with that in mind, I went for the card I linked to in this post, as the BBT video on this card also had a link to the BIOS he created for this card/memory configuration.

Indeed I am, component pricing here is pretty crazy TBH. Interesting re PCIe slots, I'll have to look into that for sure, I might be able to get more than the 3 that I had thought possible.... I'd say the power supply would feed all of them. I currently have an radeon R9 M360 card in my cpu /gpu rig (which is also my desktop). I'm getting about 62 Mhz on DEC and 10.44 Mhz on Eth on GPU (overclocked to 1050 Mhz GPU with 1350 Mhz memory overclock) plus an extra 230 h/s off the cpu XMR. Not a lot, but between all my CPU miners I am getting 1.3 -5 Khz for XMR.

I'd like to get a much better Mhz on this new rig and I'm going to be free to play with Bios Etc on this one as I dont have to work on it!
Asgaroth

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 03:15:55 PM

Indeed I am, component pricing here is pretty crazy TBH. Interesting re PCIe slots, I'll have to look into that for sure, I might be able to get more than the 3 that I had thought possible.... I'd say the power supply would feed all of them. I currently have an radeon R9 M360 card in my cpu /gpu rig (which is also my desktop). I'm getting about 62 Mhz on DEC and 10.44 Mhz on Eth on GPU (overclocked to 1050 Mhz GPU with 1350 Mhz memory overclock) plus an extra 230 h/s off the cpu XMR. Not a lot, but between all my CPU miners I am getting 1.3 -5 Khz for XMR.

I'd like to get a much better Mhz on this new rig and I'm going to be free to play with Bios Etc on this one as I dont have to work on it!

Might want to double check the power supply here though, I guess it depends on the GPU, my understanding is that the AMD cards draw more power depending on what you're mining and/or if you're dual mining with them. nVidia cards generally tend to draw less power, but, by how much, I'm not sure. I currently only have 2 AMD RX 580's plugged in mining Electroneum, and the total system draw at the plug is 374W. If I recall correctly, system draw without the GPU's in was aroun 85W so that means the 2 cards mining are pulling roughly 290W between them.

Most posts I've read here recommend that the PSU should be maxed between 40 - 70% of their rated power, so I'm guessing you'll need to factor that in, so as not to blow up your PSU Smiley

I have been playing with HiveOS as the OS, its really nifty once you get your head around the wallet configuration. Give that a shot too and see how you get on. It has tweaking options from the web interface too, which, I'm guessing get applied automagically. I've not tweaked the AMD cards, as the bios's have been modified, so, I'm banking on them being tweaked already.
Coffee135

Activity: 392
Merit: 137

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 03:24:07 PM

3 GPU's is a lot for a 750 watt power supply. I have the experience. On one of my rigs is multiple power supplies. One of them chiftec 750 watt. It is only enough to power 2 GPU and all of the computer equipment. I have a modular Chieftec. There is only 2 lines to power the GPU. Where do you connect the third GPU?
Moonunit1 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:18:45 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2017, 04:34:50 PM by Moonunit1

Hmmm, right so, I'll have to look at an upgraded power supply down the line. As I say its a DVR chassis so there is tonnes of connectors for hdd's. there are actually 4 Hdd's in there. I'll only use the SSD OS drive and remove the others so that will free up my power connectors.

I'll get one card running and after a while expand with an extra card, risers and upgraded power supply. Any recommendations on the power supply?

Thanks Guys.
Moonunit1 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:41:25 AM
Last edit: December 13, 2017, 11:52:54 AM by Moonunit1

So I had a root around and I am looking at a ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-6G - Graphics card - GF GTX 1060 - 6 GB GDDR5 - PCIe 3.0 x16

Seems Like I can decent ether hash with claymores dual miner and DEC as the second bonus coin.

How would you rate this one?

Oh and a new Power supply to power that. POWER ZONE 1000W PSU 80PLUS BRONZE EFFICIENCY ML (BN213)
Moonunit1 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 01:37:08 PM

I ended up spending a few more quid and went for this... ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-T8G-GAMING

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE4293911

Went for an Irish supplier just in case it goes faulty.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: