Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:58:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's going to blow...  (Read 5116 times)
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 12:11:26 AM

Everyone still looks to Gox for price advice, so I think the price is being artificially sustained.

Less and less so every day.  We now disregard the gox price at bitcoin.co.th
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
GigaDice

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 01:12:29 AM

Everyone still looks to Gox for price advice, so I think the price is being artificially sustained.

I beg to differ, Gox's price is regarded as THE correct price. The problem is that new comers are unaware of any other price indicators and fall victim to exchanges such as Gox.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 01:20:57 AM

Less and less so every day.  We now disregard the gox price at bitcoin.co.th

I beg to differ, Gox's price is regarded as THE correct price.

Bitpay disagrees with you.
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 02:20:27 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2013, 02:39:11 AM by BitPirate

Less and less so every day.  We now disregard the gox price at bitcoin.co.th

I beg to differ, Gox's price is regarded as THE correct price. The problem is that new comers are unaware of any other price indicators and fall victim to exchanges such as Gox.

I beg to differ -- When I was a newbie I disregarded the Gox price and only went by local exchange price. On short timescales I got burned quite badly doing that. Later I learned from my mistakes and started to pay more attention to Gox.

Right now though, things do seem to be changing -- but it's not clear yet. Bears will happily tell you to follow Bitstamp, because conveniently it is lower right now. I believe this is due to Bitfinex tying their shorts against the Bitstamp price. BTC-E has always been lower, and BTC-China has always been a follower of Gox price -- waiting for clarity on direction now.

I think right now for general purposes, the most useful would be to follow a basket of Gox, Bitstamp, BTC-E and and BTC China, with Gox making up about 80 - 85% of the basket and the others accounting for the remainder.

And as usual, trend over a few days is more important than any one price on a particular exchange at a point in time.

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 03:09:06 AM

I beg to differ -- When I was a newbie I disregarded the Gox price and only went by local exchange price. On short timescales I got burned quite badly doing that. Later I learned from my mistakes and started to pay more attention to Gox.

Right now though, things do seem to be changing -- but it's not clear yet. Bears will happily tell you to follow Bitstamp, because conveniently it is lower right now. I believe this is due to Bitfinex tying their shorts against the Bitstamp price. BTC-E has always been lower, and BTC-China has always been a follower of Gox price -- waiting for clarity on direction now.

I think right now for general purposes, the most useful would be to follow a basket of Gox, Bitstamp, BTC-E and and BTC China, with Gox making up about 80 - 85% of the basket and the others accounting for the remainder.

And as usual, trend over a few days is more important than any one price on a particular exchange at a point in time.

Yeah, I think at the moment a price between gox and other exchanges is the most correct way to interpret the BTC price.  Ideally, you would do some sort of a volume weighted average (but over which time period?).  The difference in price is obviously due to the lack of fiat withdrawals from gox, people are buying btc at gox to sell at other exchanges, and withdraw their fiat from the other exchanges.  So this causes a positive distortion at gox, and a negative one on other exchanges, which should be averaged.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 03:33:54 AM

i feel like we're pressure cooking
ArpFlush

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 11:33:26 AM

For me it's Bitstamp's price. Also, Mt. Gox should be a Ripple gateway, then withdrawing USD would be no problem.

"Panic Selling is not an Investment Strategy"
EuroTrash

Activity: 728

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 11:44:03 AM

Quote from: ArpFlush link=topic=257271.msg2747491#msg2747491
Mt. Gox should be a Ripple gateway, then withdrawing USD would be no problem.

I wonder who would want MtGox USD IOUs right now, and what would be the exchange rate of those vs BitStamp USD IOUs.

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 11:53:01 AM

I am with Bitstamp, if only because of SEPA.

And the sideways pressure-cooking trend continues:

Last price:$90.39
    Daily change: -$1.16 (-1.27%)
    Day's range:$89.20 - $92.37
    Today's open:$91.61
    24h volume9218 BTC

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 01:40:36 PM

Yeah, I think at the moment a price between gox and other exchanges is the most correct way to interpret the BTC price.  Ideally, you would do some sort of a volume weighted average (but over which time period?).

I think that would be a mistake. A thought experiment: imagine that tomorrow an exchange announces that they are no longer allowing fiat withdrawals, though you can still do bitcoin withdrawals. The bitcoin price on that exchange would then tend to infinity, as fiat in your account there becomes worthless.

Should such an exchange have any influence on the weighted average? I don't think so, not even if they have massive volume. Their weight in the bitcoin price should be exactly zero as they aren't a real exchange anymore.

Ok, when the situation gets more extreme, my suggestion is not a decent model anymore.
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 09:07:16 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 09:20:31 AM by Nemo1024

Finally we are moving:

Last price:$81.32
    Daily change: -$9.65 (-10.61%)
    Day's range:$78.92 - $91.00
    Today's open:$90.96
    24h volume15930 BTC

PS: The order book @ Bitstamp looks really one-sided!

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
rampantparanoia

Activity: 516
Merit: 283

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:57:56 PM

there's still a lot of manipulation going on
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 09:05:06 PM

Nice nickname!

There always is and always will be.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 09:15:48 PM

Nice nickname!

+1.... He'll fit right in here Smiley

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 11:50:13 PM

things usually blow up, not down
Synethstesia

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 08:09:08 AM

Why do you people come and post "the price didn't do what you thought it would LOL! You're wrong LOL!" in the SPECULATION forum?  Congratulations, Captain Hind-Sight. You look like a moron.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 08:47:12 AM

Why do you people come and post "the price didn't do what you thought it would LOL! You're wrong LOL!" in the SPECULATION forum?  Congratulations, Captain Hind-Sight. You look like a moron.

You look like a moron. The guy simply stated the fact that the expression is "blows up". I've never heard of anyone saying "blowing down" ever.
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 08:53:43 AM

Why do you people come and post "the price didn't do what you thought it would LOL! You're wrong LOL!" in the SPECULATION forum?  Congratulations, Captain Hind-Sight. You look like a moron.

You look like a moron. The guy simply stated the fact that the expression is "blows up". I've never heard of anyone saying "blowing down" ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiler_blowdown
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/blow+down
 Grin

Synethstesia

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 09:55:58 AM

The expression used in the original post is just "Going to Blow" ... not "blow up". Furthermore, things dont blow just up, down, or side to side... energy is expelled in the path of least resistance. You're thinking of Explode vs Implode... It's alright

Oh, and then there is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5k0ZA4jxqw
FNG

Activity: 588

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 10:26:42 AM

Curious to know how the market is here in Thailand. Are many Thai's buying / using bitcoin?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: