Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:23:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How is Bitcoin taxed??  (Read 410 times)
iop789 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 05:25:01 PM

I've been trying to figure out how Bitcoin is taxed before I trade. Does anyone know?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bnm123

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 05:27:02 PM

The IRS now classifies cryptocurrencies as "property." I found this paper helpful for understanding the tax implications/issues: https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/dltr/vol16/iss1/1/.
iop789 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 06:24:13 PM

Wow, that was really helpful. Thanks for sharing!
barbenoire123

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

Solution for reliable global money transactions

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 06:50:31 PM

the bitcoin is taxed by the mining  who Ensure the security transaction of bitcoin 
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2856
Merit: 769

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 07:23:52 PM

I've been trying to figure out how Bitcoin is taxed before I trade. Does anyone know?
Okay lets assume that you do mean about direct taxation on bitcoin then this thing is impossible since bitcoin cant really be taxed directly since its a decentralized thing this is why government doesnt really like it since they cant able to control it but when we do talk on indirect way of taxation then this time is possible where they would really regulate those things which do involve into bitcoin business like on exchanges which they would really imposed taxes but well depending on a certain country on where those exchangers located.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 02:31:44 AM

All the tax issues and concerns in connection with Bitcoin or any cryptocurrency for that matter are depending on the country where you are a citizen of. Laws varies from one territory to another and there are some countries which still have to officially pronounced on how they gonna collect taxes on their people dealing with Bitcoin and just allowing the normal activities of trading to flourish first. In USA, you are obliged to declare whatever capital gains you earned and I think this is the same thing with trading...it all centered on the tax on income and gains similar to other investment instruments. The best thing to do is to ask someone (maybe an accountant, if you have an access) on the tax laws to make sure that you are not violating any as we know that getting entangled with the tax man can be a big headache. As many are saying, there are two things we can't avoid here in this world: tax and death. So we might as well pay our taxes appropriately and timely while still living and doing some business even if we are into Bitcoin or cryptocurrency.
jaocoincrypto18

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 02:38:30 PM

If bitcoin is legal in your country then there is a tax policy in which part of the regulations. Here in our country tax will be collected thru local exchanges in which every time you change your bitcoin to fiat you will pay extra charged because it already included the tax. Like value added tax in which every time you purchase a thing there is additional tax to pay but if the bitcoin is not legal and not ban to then you should not be worrying about bitcoin taxes anymore.
supermine

Activity: 826
Merit: 518

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 02:50:09 PM

If bitcoin is legal in your country then there is a tax policy in which part of the regulations. Here in our country tax will be collected thru local exchanges in which every time you change your bitcoin to fiat you will pay extra charged because it already included the tax. Like value added tax in which every time you purchase a thing there is additional tax to pay but if the bitcoin is not legal and not ban to then you should not be worrying about bitcoin taxes anymore.

Is it like that?I never paid any extra charge while buying bitcoin on any exchanges.
I always buy bitcoins on localbitcoins.com they never charged me like value added tax as you said,so you may try to but at this exchange to avoid any kind of tax.In my knowledge any tax can be made on bitcoin you onlt need to pay taxes while convert your bitcoins into fiat.
jekjekman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:22:08 PM

When people of each countries are below 18 years old and most of these teenagers are no job then do you think they are not paying taxes in the government because only the employed people are capable of doing, then it isn't because every goods and services that these youngsters tend to use in their daily lives are bond with taxes in general, it's same goes by with Bitcoin even though there is no government regulation that is straight taxing cryptocurrency in every single transaction.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 08:27:34 PM

When people of each countries are below 18 years old and most of these teenagers are no job then do you think they are not paying taxes in the government because only the employed people are capable of doing, then it isn't because every goods and services that these youngsters tend to use in their daily lives are bond with taxes in general, it's same goes by with Bitcoin even though there is no government regulation that is straight taxing cryptocurrency in every single transaction.

How can a teenager get an income if the exchanges require you to be older than 18 and you also have to get a bank account to be able to use said income. This also requires you to be of age. If a teenager lies about the age and gets both a bank account and an exchange account he's risking a lot because if this comes out the funds will get frozen and the accounts will probably get terminated, unless the parents step in saying they knew about it and were supervising. What you're talking about is really a niche nobody cares about, just like that guy who gets tries to sneak a bottle of whisky through the customs. No big deal.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Lanatsa

Activity: 2828
Merit: 649

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:06:31 PM

How can a teenager get an income if the exchanges require you to be older than 18 and you also have to get a bank account to be able to use said income. This also requires you to be of age. If a teenager lies about the age and gets both a bank account and an exchange account he's risking a lot because if this comes out the funds will get frozen and the accounts will probably get terminated, unless the parents step in saying they knew about it and were supervising. What you're talking about is really a niche nobody cares about, just like that guy who gets tries to sneak a bottle of whisky through the customs. No big deal.
If im that teenager then i would normally make use of my parents credentials to avoid such problem regarding on what you have said here.Taxation would be just fine for me but shouldnt really be too big and should depend on the earnings we do gain on bitcoin.We do all know bitcoin cant be taxed directly this is why they are focusing on the things which are related to it.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Immakillya

Activity: 560
Merit: 269

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:53:21 PM

In United States. If you held your Bitcoin for one year or less, that is considered as a short-term gain and is taxed as common or ordinary income. Any bitcoin you sold or spent after owning it for more than one year is taxed as a long-term gain. That's how they charge the tax from bitcoin users in United States. But still depends on what country you are living. Im not sure if other countries are implemented that law. But for as far as i know in Asia which im living, there's no tax for bitcoin or cryptocurrency has implement yet. They won't charge you any tax unless you report your income statement.
HappyMod

Activity: 224
Merit: 2

ICO Communtiy Management & Engagement happymod.io

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2017, 02:11:29 AM

This whole thing about crypto being anonymous is not true at all - we all have to buy through exchanges or localBTC - these automatically include KYC - they know who we are and track through our wallets - I can almost guarantee this.
Thats why I fully intend on paying my taxes.
The IRS even released a statement saying that they will go much lighter on those who report and pay ahead of them catching you.
This is almost always the case. If they can tax it, they will. Thats almost certain, and probably priority number one

Startup for Cryptocurrency Community Management, Engagement and Marketing. Expert in ICO Advising and moderation of social media platforms happymod.io
migolmigol

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 08:49:44 AM

In my country, the Philippines, there is no specific tax for Bitcoin earning. But still it's taxable and it is considered to be filed and paid under the income tax. Accordint to the tax code, income tax is filed annually. And any kind of business not under in any employer should manually file and pay for this. These includes investments earnings from stocks, bonds, mutual funds, real estate, and also cryptocurrency like Bitcoin. But since it is filed manually, then many no longer file it especially Bitcoin is hard to track.

marielbeckham

Activity: 185

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 10:06:54 AM

The IRS now classifies cryptocurrencies as "property." I found this paper helpful for understanding the tax implications/issues: https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/dltr/vol16/iss1/1/.

Thanks a lot for this useful info. This is exact what I've been looking for desperately.
NicG13

Activity: 74

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 10:45:50 AM

In the UK you should pay capital gains tax like with anything else since bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are regarded as capital assets.

So when you sell your cryptocurrency you should pay tax on the actual capital gain.

The actual % varies according to your tax bracket since the tax system in the UK is progressive.

Example from the HMRC website:

"You bought a painting for £5,000 and sold it later for £25,000. This means you made a gain of £20,000 (£25,000 minus £5,000)."

If you swap in BTC for painting you know you need to pay tax on the £20K.

Identify your tax bracket and you know what you owe the government.

Conversely, you can get tax relieved if you've made a loss on your bitcoin; two-way street.
Zackgeno96

Activity: 1778
Merit: 520

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 12:12:53 PM

I believe only bitcoin transactions could be taxed by the exchanges if they are legal as per the local government, otherwise no one can tax the bitcoins. However, if you are making profit with the activities related to the bitcoins then you have to pay the tax to the local government. Also note that, there is no tax for holding the bitcoins .

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
rememberme15

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 12:23:06 PM

Yup, it makes you wonder what happens to a trade between two traders from different countries--one taxed, the other, not.
BrusLi3

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 12:56:38 PM

Many countries still have no taxes for Bitcoin miners.
Many miners don't pay any taxes.
Lancusters

Activity: 630
Merit: 263

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:27:54 PM

Many countries still have no taxes for Bitcoin miners.
Many miners don't pay any taxes.
Each country has its laws but to levy taxes on bitcoin, nobody can. For this you need to accept the bitcoin currency. The government will not do it. The legalization of bitcoin could increase competition between cryptocurrencies and Fiat. Who do you think will win in this struggle? Governments can tax only income from the sale of cryptocurrency for Fiat.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: