Bitcoin Forum
July 26, 2024, 03:16:45 AM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on Coinbase?  (Read 5797 times)
WuLabsWuTecH (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 05:07:43 PM

Hi all,

Up until now, I have been using Dwolla + CampBX to  buy bitcoin, but recently I heard of coinbase which cuts out the middle step (dwolla).  The fee is a bit higher (1%+$0.15 vs 0.55%+$0.25) but I understand it will also be slightly quicker than Dwolla + CampBX.

Anyone heard anything good/bad/ugly about coinbase?  I know their limits are relatively low, but how about their exchange rates?  It doesn't seem to be published and I don't want to create an account just to see what their rates are.  Anything else I should know about them?

Thanks,
-WU
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4382
Merit: 3299

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 05:20:30 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2013, 05:31:38 PM by odolvlobo

Anyone heard anything good/bad/ugly about coinbase?  I know their limits are relatively low, but how about their exchange rates?  It doesn't seem to be published and I don't want to create an account just to see what their rates are.  Anything else I should know about them?

I have been using Coinbase for almost a month now. I have only bought bitcoins. Their price seems to follow MtGox though I have seen it diverge. The biggest negative is that you have to wait 5 days to receive your bitcoins. Still, I usually prefer it to BTC-e because getting USD into BTC-e is difficult and expensive.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
WuLabsWuTecH (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 05:24:47 PM

5 days!!!???  What's the point of that then?  Dwolla only takes about 3 days, 4 at the most and I've a couple of transactions that take 2 days!

Why would you pay more for a service that is slower?

I've always seen it as a balance between speed and cost.  The faster you get your bitcoins, the more a service can charge, but I was not aware that coinbase took 5 days to fun your account...
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 05:40:38 PM

5 days!!!???  What's the point of that then?  Dwolla only takes about 3 days, 4 at the most and I've a couple of transactions that take 2 days!

Why would you pay more for a service that is slower?

I've always seen it as a balance between speed and cost.  The faster you get your bitcoins, the more a service can charge, but I was not aware that coinbase took 5 days to fund your account...

It is a little different. There is no waiting for your funds to be transferred to the exchange. In my case, I want to buy coins at the current price rather than the price in 4 days. I don't mind waiting for the coins.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 06:34:47 PM

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/coinbase-instant-purchases-delayed-support/
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 08:46:45 PM

Hope your not a serious trader or investor, or 100 cin daily limit will surely be a problem.

Got a different reply from support today, but still no raised sell limit.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
WuLabsWuTecH (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 10:07:39 PM

Are there extra costs associated with the instant option?  I would assume there has got to be some difference with the instant option vs the "standard" option of waiting 5 days other than the timeline right?
ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 03:23:14 AM

Are there extra costs associated with the instant option?  I would assume there has got to be some difference with the instant option vs the "standard" option of waiting 5 days other than the timeline right?

No extra costs, but you have to verify your identity.  I had already linked a bank account so this additional step did not bother me.
Yeah exactly. I just bought 1 BTC through my verified account and it was instantly added to my account.

Also, last few days, I've seen the price of BTC on MtGox to be higher than Coinbase. I don't have an account on MtGox though, but looks like an arbitrage opportunity? (I did this calculation taking the fees at Coinbase of course).
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 03:24:03 AM

No extra costs, but you have to verify your identity.  I had already linked a bank account so this additional step did not bother me.
Yeah exactly. I just bought 1 BTC through my verified account and it was instantly added to my account.

Also, last few days, I've seen the price of BTC on MtGox to be higher than Coinbase. I don't have an account on MtGox though, but looks like an arbitrage opportunity? (I did this calculation taking the fees at Coinbase of course).

It's only an opportunity if you can get money in and out of MtGox.

ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 06:12:24 PM

It's only an opportunity if you can get money in and out of MtGox.
Touche. I assume getting USD out of Gox is still an issue?
Pale Phoenix

Activity: 420

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 04:09:01 PM

I think Coinbase is now the best option for casual users in the U.S. and it's where I send people who are new to Bitcoin to get started. Now that they are doing instant purchases it is even more useful, but it's definitely not a system built for traders.

timmybray

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 09:16:58 AM

Their "instant" purchase don't work. My transaction was pending for 24 hours, and then finally cancelled due to "high risk". Even though I'm 2lvl verified.
OhShei8e
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1059

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:04:52 AM

Anyone heard anything good/bad/ugly about coinbase? 

They are in the U.S. therefore not recommended for foreigners. As foreigner I have very limited rights in the U.S. For example, there is absolute no bank secrecy for foreigners. I'm sure that Gox never gives my data to anybody. In Japan I have the same basic rights as in my home country (Germany).

Coinbase instead have to send everything to the secret services for non-us citizen. That sucks. If Coinbase is registered with the FINCen and have its residence in the U.S. the NSA can get my complete data including all access codes at any time. I do not have to hide anything but for me that is not a serious procedure. I feel very bad with it, so I don't trade with U.S. companies. I did not invested in bitcoins to bring the government closer to my money. If the Yanks go crazy again, you shall see a nasty surprise with Coinbase, Coinlab or whatever they are called. They are all in the U.S. and people like Snowden can access your account whenever they want.  Undecided
True___Blue

Activity: 354

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 01:22:56 PM

I tried using CampBX but stopped b/c anytime there is the slightest market volatility the site freezes up and becomes unusable. I have been using Coinbase for several months now. I think it is one of the easiest ways to both buy BTC for USD and sell BTC for USD. I am verified and buys and sells are instantaneous. Right now Coinbase does not let you set limit prices for buys and sells (e.g. I want to buy 5 BTC when the prices = 70, or sell 5 BTC when the price = 100), you can only instantaneously buy or sell at the current price.  I mostly use it to buy BTC then I will put that BTC either in a secure wallet for saving, or I will transfer it to a site more set up for trading. When I am feeling shaky about the price or need more fiat for some reason or another, I transfer BTC back to Coinbase to cash out. I'm glad to pay the slightly higher fee for the added liquidity. Price of BTC on Coinbase is generally slightly higher the Bitstamp and lower than Mt.Gox.

If you do start using Coinbase please consider using my referral link  - https://coinbase.com/?r=5154f64395f72f1c7c000060#.UeqOygFCyCQ.twitter

Let me know if you have anymore questions, I'd be happy to help.

XXthetimeisnowXX

a wolf in sheeps clothing. suckerfish

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 01:33:48 PM

coinbase user for about six months now. ya it was kinda dumb at first they almost never had coins and they would tell you to come back later to try to buy coins. and the wait time was bad so i used them and bitinstant for my coin purchases. now its way smooth. you can just buy 50 or sell 50 in any given day. its not for traders its to get your bank account linked realy. so now that im verified i can buy not ten but 50 per day and its instant. then i take the 50 coins over to bitstamp and traid back and forth on that exchange. also coinbase now uses an average of the exchanges to get its price for btc. so ya its mostly between gox and bitstamp since those are the only two relevant exchanges.
Sir Lagsalot

Activity: 323

The lion roars!

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 01:13:00 PM

Coinbase made my client, a newcomer to Bitcoin, wait a week for his coins only to deny him due to "high risk." His account is with a major bank and he's been conducting business online for years with no problems.

I didn't get paid and he received a bad first impression of Bitcoin. I am unimpressed by Coinbase, to say the least.

joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 04:40:40 PM

They have finally increased my limits, though with little communication.

A solid company for sure, questionable bureaucracy - i think a little too much as well.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 11:25:29 PM

Coinbase made my client, a newcomer to Bitcoin, wait a week for his coins only to deny him due to "high risk." His account is with a major bank and he's been conducting business online for years with no problems.

I didn't get paid and he received a bad first impression of Bitcoin. I am unimpressed by Coinbase, to say the least.

Coinbase didn't make your client do anything, the wait is standard for their service...Everyone who uses the service has this buffer time. Until they released the "Instant Buy" for Level 2 verified customers recently, this was their standard protocol and they didn't hide it.

Coinbase has openly responded about their fraud system and how the "High Risk" transactions are processed, they do not have a perfect system yet. If you were hired to consult or refer this client, it sounds like in this case you should be a bit more unimpressed in your ability than Coinbase's service.
EscrowBTC

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 01:37:17 AM

I really don't like Coinbase Cheesy
thebrit

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Make the Bitcoin, don't let the Bitcoin make you.

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 05:04:10 PM

I noticed that the exchange rate for sales of BTC is getting further and further from the MT Gox average ... and added 1% to this it's becoming a rip off to use coinbase. I sell ~60BTC a week and I'm starting to notice. Thoughts / suggestions?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: