Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:50:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Newbies" is the most dangerous subforum on this entire site!  (Read 2199 times)
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 06:00:37 AM

bump
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 06:04:42 AM

I agree. Newbies should IMO be a Beginners & Help Board.

No advertising of any kind in there.

No Trades, no "invests" & no altcoin give-aways, etc...

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:36:49 AM

Some of these threads are scaring me a bit.. But then someone has to be trusted at one point. Are group buys safer?
I'd simply suggest to use escrow from a very high-trust person like John K, who I think will even do m-of-n escrow transactions to almost eliminate third-party-risk.

Another great security is to ensure you do business with people relatively local in case you need to collect through the legal system or appeal to relatives of the person -- at the very least, people within the same jurisdiction as you (and confirming ID is great -- a rather ghetto way of doing this, without relying on scanned gov't IDs, as example, would be to send a postcard with a code on it to the person's alleged address and have them relay the code to you when they receive it).

There are plenty of places to gather an idea of someone's trustworthiness, from WoT to the forum's rep system. Bitcoin (as an "ecosystem") has tons of functionality for determining trustworthiness and doing low-trust or no-trust transactions, but you need to be diligent. Even the largest-by-volume exchange, MtGox, has a terrible habit of fiat withdrawal blackouts of weeks, or in the current case, over a month - so certainly any company or individual can fail to meet advertisements, and that's why it's a great idea to get paranoid.
I've used John K but I've not understood this forums huge drive towards escrowing everything with him.  It seems like the easy way out of doing any sort of due diligence.  Seems to be the exact opposite of what bitcoin is all about.  It's like John K became PayPal of this bitcoin forum.

SyphorSoftware

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:40:29 AM

I agree. Newbies should IMO be a Beginners & Help Board.

No advertising of any kind in there.

No Trades, no "invests" & no altcoin give-aways, etc...

I agree, as long as the newbies themselves aren't censored on the newbie board.
CrashX

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:15:42 AM

I personally been flagging afew post that are from scammer. you could look at my history.

Doing by best...
kuriboh

Activity: 358
Merit: 285

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:26:13 AM

This should be a sticky post.

Nice advice by the way.
Yash

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 08:38:18 AM

I think this goes without saying, only deal with escrow and never run any suspicious application from newcomers ^^
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 11:15:15 PM

Some of these threads are scaring me a bit.. But then someone has to be trusted at one point. Are group buys safer?
I'd simply suggest to use escrow from a very high-trust person like John K, who I think will even do m-of-n escrow transactions to almost eliminate third-party-risk.

Another great security is to ensure you do business with people relatively local in case you need to collect through the legal system or appeal to relatives of the person -- at the very least, people within the same jurisdiction as you (and confirming ID is great -- a rather ghetto way of doing this, without relying on scanned gov't IDs, as example, would be to send a postcard with a code on it to the person's alleged address and have them relay the code to you when they receive it).

There are plenty of places to gather an idea of someone's trustworthiness, from WoT to the forum's rep system. Bitcoin (as an "ecosystem") has tons of functionality for determining trustworthiness and doing low-trust or no-trust transactions, but you need to be diligent. Even the largest-by-volume exchange, MtGox, has a terrible habit of fiat withdrawal blackouts of weeks, or in the current case, over a month - so certainly any company or individual can fail to meet advertisements, and that's why it's a great idea to get paranoid.
I've used John K but I've not understood this forums huge drive towards escrowing everything with him.  It seems like the easy way out of doing any sort of due diligence.  Seems to be the exact opposite of what bitcoin is all about.  It's like John K became PayPal of this bitcoin forum.
Unlike Paypal, John doesn't have a history of abuse, doesn't blanket ban transaction types, and you deal with the same level-headed guy every time. Until there's reason to doubt him, I'd never suggest someone not use someone who's had the opportunity to steal millions of $ in BTC and never takes it. There are plenty of alternatives, but when introducing third-party risk, you want them to have a long and spotless history -- nobody fills that as well as John (speaking as someone who offers free escrow).

With all that - John IS an easy choice, so there aren't going to be many alternatives. Competition's always good, but nobody can out-compete him AFAIK, largely because he has such an established history, and asking less in fees than him is practically impossible. So while it's not decentralized - if you're serious about securing contracts, you can't do better than having the PM page for John bookmarked.

It's for the same reason I wouldn't recommend someone use a new wallet from a team nobody's ever heard of over the established and reviewed wallet software which's been out for years. Trust and reputation's worth a fortune when conventional legal systems are too cumbersome.
Ipsum

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 11:25:55 PM

Unlike Paypal, John doesn't have a history of abuse, doesn't blanket ban transaction types, and you deal with the same level-headed guy every time. Until there's reason to doubt him, I'd never suggest someone not use someone who's had the opportunity to steal millions of $ in BTC and never takes it. There are plenty of alternatives, but when introducing third-party risk, you want them to have a long and spotless history -- nobody fills that as well as John (speaking as someone who offers free escrow).

With all that - John IS an easy choice, so there aren't going to be many alternatives. Competition's always good, but nobody can out-compete him AFAIK, largely because he has such an established history, and asking less in fees than him is practically impossible. So while it's not decentralized - if you're serious about securing contracts, you can't do better than having the PM page for John bookmarked.

It's for the same reason I wouldn't recommend someone use a new wallet from a team nobody's ever heard of over the established and reviewed wallet software which's been out for years. Trust and reputation's worth a fortune when conventional legal systems are too cumbersome.

Good to know, thanks!

The risk with John K is probably that he doesn't have an institution around him that can survive his passing. If he were to have a heart attack today and die (not wishing it on him!), is there a substantial chance that all the funds in his btc escrow account would remain there, possibly forever locked away? Does he have a contingency plan?
GOB

Activity: 94

Come on!

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:30:49 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2013, 02:58:03 AM by GOB

Good to know, thanks!

The risk with John K is probably that he doesn't have an institution around him that can survive his passing. If he were to have a heart attack today and die (not wishing it on him!), is there a substantial chance that all the funds in his btc escrow account would remain there, possibly forever locked away? Does he have a contingency plan?

This is a great question. I'd be curious to know as well how one can plan for the possibility of the escrow being incapacitated.

Also, is there a thread where people discuss their experiences with John K? I'd like to read up a bit on the history of why he commands so much trust (the holding millions of $$ in BTC and such) and I'm curious as to how such an escrow works in practice. Thanks!

EDIT: changed term to "incapacitated."

EDIT2: Here's the forum post for John K's service: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=141672.0

"Bitcoin is to bank transfers, credit cards & Paypal, as Email is to letters, faxes & FedEx." 1BAMFrk1qJai5u7UnrhDXoBudGwbYynams
GOB

Activity: 94

Come on!

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:43:02 AM

The Newbies subforum is probably the most dangerous subforum on this entire site. Mods and admin do not remove likely scams, so they only remove proven malware and scams (probably well after a good many infections and successful scamming). When you run into a good, service, or website posted in the Newbies subforum, you need to have answered satisfactorily:

Why does someone want to advertise their goods or services specifically to newbies instead of the general forum?

Thank you for your post. It does make me wonder why they allow anybody to offer any kind of service in the newbie forum, like you mentioned in another post. I can understand the idea of having a newbie waiting room (which I'm currently stuck in, even though I've been reading this forum for about 6 months), but it seems like it'd be much safer and more useful if it was simply limited to questions and answers for bitcoin amateurs. Then again, who would want to be stuck moderating this forum erasing posts 24/7?

"Bitcoin is to bank transfers, credit cards & Paypal, as Email is to letters, faxes & FedEx." 1BAMFrk1qJai5u7UnrhDXoBudGwbYynams
toddtervy

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 08:31:40 AM

As a Newbies subforum most expect it to get spammy and scammy, so that helps curb the potential safety level.

Get off my c@ck !
Anduck
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072

quack

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 09:43:27 AM

Should absolutely delete all kinds of threads that are not noob-safe in this Newbies section.

For example, (this actually happened and the user is in the Default Trust List of these forums), "giving 1 btc in ripple" & make super easy instructions.. and if you fell for it, all your bitcoins (in ripple network) will just disappear! Call it a social experiment and it's fine. IT'S NOT FINE. People trust that guy because of his status on these forums.

faiza1990

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 10:07:31 AM

even if the person you are buying from is legitimate, their supplier could not be, in which case your seller has no money to return. You therefore have to trust that the person hosting the group buy is legitimate

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:35:10 PM

Good to know, thanks!

Hey,

I do have a dead-man's switch in place as all the addresses I use are cold wallets printed and stored physically in my safe. I regularly back my escrow list of transactions up to two off-site locations, and in the case of me and my family's incapacitation my family lawyer is authorized to release the funds accordingly with the list.

However, I still make it a point to not keep too much of escrow funds at once - I try to move through escrows as fast as possible to not have too much risk that I cannot cover using my own BTC funds at once. That's why escrows that might take longer (say, 2-3 weeks +) is charged a higher fee here.  I don't hold more than 5k BTC in escrow at the moment, barring long term storage like the forum's funds (that I started to hold part of since I was a moderator).

Well, the main function escrow is all about is to gain the minimal trust required to start trading - most users I've escrowed for (at 624th escrow now Wink ) eventually 'grow out' from using escrows to trade and start doing transactions of their own. As a long time Bitcoin user, I absolutely welcome this as this is the initial idea I had when I started offering escrow services. I was tired of users complaining to me that Bitcoin's system makes scams easy with the pseudo-anonymity allowed, and there wasn't a reliable infrastructure in place for people to trade safely and build up trust to ease transactions. PayPal is an altogether different beast in itself as there is still loopholes and bumps where scammers can still thrive. In Bitcoin, you can eliminate 3rd party risk altogether if you choose to use a 3-of-2 FA escrow implementation, where no single party can access the coin by himself. You'll just need to trust that the 3rd party isn't collaborating with the other party to scam you here.

(thanks again to Kluge for pointing me here! Cheesy)
Ipsum

Activity: 62

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:39:01 PM

Good to know, thanks!

Hey,

I do have a dead-man's switch in place as all the addresses I use are cold wallets printed and stored physically in my safe. I regularly back my escrow list of transactions up to two off-site locations, and in the case of me and my family's incapacitation my family lawyer is authorized to release the funds accordingly with the list.

However, I still make it a point to not keep too much of escrow funds at once - I try to move through escrows as fast as possible to not have too much risk that I cannot cover using my own BTC funds at once. That's why escrows that might take longer (say, 2-3 weeks +) is charged a higher fee here.  I don't hold more than 5k BTC in escrow at the moment, barring long term storage like the forum's funds (that I started to hold part of since I was a moderator).

Cool, thanks for the info!
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:43:14 PM

Hopefully the newbie section will be a little safer now.  I'm working to get threads moved out of here that don't belong, so please report anything suspicious/sketchy/altcoin/gambling/etc.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: