Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:41:04 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: All these forks make bitcoin seem scammy.. they should never have been done.  (Read 336 times)
dissident (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:53:33 PM

Seriously we had Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, though some argue that one's a scam, and now Bitcoin Diamond all within a 6 month time period? In 5 years how many forks will there be? They should never have forked the coin at all, not even once. They should have created another coin with a different name from scratch. Forking constantly makes the whole thing seem like a big scam from an outsider's perspective.

Forking will lead to another coin eventually taking bitcoin's place in my opinion, though hopefully people don't see that hey, anyone can create any coin they want at any time, so why should I buy this particular coin? There's 15 bitcoin forks here in 2019... what the hell is going on?  I like that I can store money without having to worry about unconstitutional civil asset forfeiture, but it seems like the way things are going the blatant greed is showing through.  Just another way for people to create a coin they can dump and make their millions, which is fine.. I like making money too, I just hope this short term focus on gain doesn't harm people's perception of bitcoin as a whole.  In any case as long as the money is there, people should flock in. 500 billion dollars from a global economic perspective is still peanuts. We could have 2 trillion in combined market cap and it's still peanuts to the global economy.
bohr

Activity: 994
Merit: 257

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:38:56 PM

Seriously we had Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, though some argue that one's a scam, and now Bitcoin Diamond all within a 6 month time period? In 5 years how many forks will there be? They should never have forked the coin at all, not even once. They should have created another coin with a different name from scratch. Forking constantly makes the whole thing seem like a big scam from an outsider's perspective.

Forking will lead to another coin eventually taking bitcoin's place in my opinion, though hopefully people don't see that hey, anyone can create any coin they want at any time, so why should I buy this particular coin? There's 15 bitcoin forks here in 2019... what the hell is going on?  I like that I can store money without having to worry about unconstitutional civil asset forfeiture, but it seems like the way things are going the blatant greed is showing through.  Just another way for people to create a coin they can dump and make their millions, which is fine.. I like making money too, I just hope this short term focus on gain doesn't harm people's perception of bitcoin as a whole.  In any case as long as the money is there, people should flock in. 500 billion dollars from a global economic perspective is still peanuts. We could have 2 trillion in combined market cap and it's still peanuts to the global economy.
You are correct, but at the end that is not bitcoin fault, the only fork that I consider a legitimate fork is bitcoin cash and even that fork has many things I do not like all the other forks are not really anything new and you should not be concerned about it, you are right that makes bitcoin look bad and scammy but the ones not changing the name of their forks are the ones doing the fork and we cannot force them to change the name of their forks.
eminemcookie

Activity: 364
Merit: 123

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:45:35 PM

You're right and other than increasing competition I see no real benefit for most of the forks, long term it will hurt bitcoin. But it goes against bitcoin to disallow such things to happen, bitcoin is not controlled by one person and nor should it ever be and therefore everyone can do as they please.

GIGZI INDEPENDENT WEALTH MANAGEMENT
Crowdsale Starts on 23rd November 2018
Telegram   Medium   GitHub   Twitter   Reddit   LinkedIn   Facebook
soham

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:46:16 PM

I do agree with your statement. All these forks are not helping bitcoin in any way. Instead they are taking away few billion dollars of market cap as well as some percentage of the hash power. This forks are making the bitcoin network weak which is not at all desirable. It is just a group of greedy miners forking away with new coin. As a community we must condemn such attempts and should not support any further fork attempts.

▄████▄       
██████       
▀████▀       
▀██████      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
▄▄█████  ▄██████████████████▄
▄██████▀██  ████████████████████
▄█████▀    ▀  ████████████████████
▄█████▀         ███ ████████████ ███
██████▀          ███ ████████████ ███
███████           ███ ████████████ ███

▄████▄                  ███████   
██████                 ▄██████     
▀████▀                ▄█████▀     
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄    ▄█████▀       
▄██████████████████▄  ██▄ █████▀         
████████████████████  ██████▀▀           
████████████████████  ██████▄             
███ ████████████ ███                     
███ ████████████ ███                     
███ ████████████ ███                       
  [    |    ████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███            ▀████████
███  ███████  ▄  ▀██████
███           ██▄  ▀████
███  ███████  ████▄  ███
███                  ███
███  ██████████████  ███
███                  ███
███  ██████████████  ███
███                  ███
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
  ] 
FACEBOOK  )   (  TWITTER  )
  SUBSCRIBE NOW!!! 
INSTAGRAM  )  (  LINKEDIN  )
centralbanksequalsbombs

Activity: 378
Merit: 278

Bitcoin :open immutable decentralized global fair

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:52:02 PM

Just simply read:
i also believe forks will Destroy bitcoin in future especially BCH  .

but price will destroy bitcoin more than hacks

The opposite of what you state is true. The forks reveal themselves worthless, especially BCH.
The price demonstrates more worth over time. Altcoins, like BCH and other scamcoins are more susceptible to hacks. Bitcoin's code has been unbreakable and running for 9 years.

and...

The reputation of bitcoin is getting destroyed slowly because of the forks that has been launching for bitcoin and it seems that it doesn't affect the performance at all because i believe that the reason for having forks are to improve the quality of the coin and to make major improvements that everyone would feel after the launch of fork but right now it is just like making forks that will completely just for money and not improvements.
And ridiculous hardfok that are happening with the coin, first with that haunt that calls BBCHASH, Bitcoin Diamond that already is more than 50 dollars and now for December we have three more the called "Super Bitcoin" should leave in the block 498.888 around 15 of December, while Bitcoin Platinum and even more bizarre Bitcoin Cash Plus are expected to take place December 23 and 31, respectively. Man, this is putting an end to the currency's reputation, I do not know how the community accepts that.

Ahem, each of these 'forks' are just scamcoins - really, as time goes on, they will be lost in the sea of altcoins. Why?

Simple: with each derivative fork the new altcoin makes itself much weaker in ALL of these ways:

-less hashing power than the real Bitcoin network. Thus new scamcoin will be less secure.

-less open, global development of protocol codebase than real Bitcoin. Thus new scamcoin slow to innovate and be more vulnerable.

-less (true) independent full nodes on the network than real Bitcoin. New scamcoin more susceptible to attacks on protocol and hijacking.

-more concentration of coins to fewer individuals than the real Bitcoin network. Thus new scamcoin becomes more unfair with time.

-more geographic concentration of mining than the real Bitcoin network. Thus the new scamcoin will have more points of failure.

-more hardforks demonstrate all these points moreso with each iteration to global public. Thus new scamcoins lose value vs Bitcoin every year.

-is just another altcoin

The world is seeing the obvious;
This week: Brazil and Canada

update live weekly p2p cash trades on LBC: https://coin.dance/volume/localbitcoins

HasHe

Activity: 952
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:55:37 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2017, 10:47:51 AM by HasHe

Yes,forked coins spoil the reputation of bitcoin.It was started by roger ver who was nonce termed as bitcoin jesus and now became a bitcoin antichrist.People are now well aware that these forked coins could not replace bitcoin.They use it just to earn some quick profits.They just dump it as soon as possible and they know very well that it would be worthless in the long run.The only exception to survive is bitcoin cash and it is also due to huge pumping by his team.Some miners even wish to continue to do more hard forks in the future.

We could believe that most of the newcomers in to bitcoin would just avoid such shit forked coins instead of buying such trashes.
lazygin001

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 12:01:36 AM

Yeah you are right, not sure what good has forking done to bitcoin. In fact it did the opposite and made it look bad.
Good Bo

Activity: 204

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 12:03:08 AM

I thought that if fork mean nothing in new development about bitcoin and only want to make new coin, i think fork is big problem for bitcoin future. Most likely bitcoin just being used as a tool to make money.
But if fork can solve the problem about bitcoin, like high fee and very long transaction, so i will support fork as first person.

Recently fork is nothing, notjing change. Developer just want to create new coin. Nothing help in fee and transaction.
mikeey89

Activity: 129
Merit: 11

Blockchain enthusiast

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 12:04:42 AM

I agree with you that forks are not good for the reputation. I dislike forks. But that's one of the cons of having an open source currency.
urbanpixel

Activity: 200

schneider

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 12:05:02 AM

These forks are nothing more than a regular altcoin, with only similarity to BTC being their name. I doubt people will invest crazy amounts in them when they can stick with BTC which is steadily growing (with hiccups) or any other stable altcoin.

▐▐   ▬▬▬▬▬   DeepOnion   ▬▬▬▬▬   ▌▌
████    40 PUBLIC AIRDROPS COMPLETED    TOR INTEGRATED    ████
▬▬▬▬   (✔) DeepVault Blockchain File Signatures  •  VoteCentral Your Vote Counts  •  deeponion.org   ▬▬▬▬
xuan87
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 12:19:25 AM

I agree, and until this point I haven't see any impact of the new forking coin and the usage of the coin, most of the people going back to invest in Bitcoin and the forking coin left in the state of unknown, once in a while there will be some people pumping and then left it again, and the forking making Bitcoin looks bad for the investors

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░██████░
░░░░░░░██████░░░░░█░░░░░████████░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░░███░░░████░░███░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░██░██░████░░███░░█████░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░██░░█░███░░███░░██████░░
░░░░░░░░░███████░██░█░█░░░███░░██████░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░███░░░███░░░█████░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██░░████░░░░░░██░░░██████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░████░░░░░██████░░░█████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▂▂ ▃▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ TeraWATT █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃▃ ▂▂
Global LED Adoption Through Blockchain Technology
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒『ICO IS LIVE』≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
WEBSITE』『WHITEPAPER
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
TWITTER』『TELEGRAM
centralbanksequalsbombs

Merit: 278

Bitcoin :open immutable decentralized global fair

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 01:15:52 AM

Yes,forked coins spoil the reputation of bitcoin.It was started by roger ver who was nonce termed as bitcoin jesus and now became a bitcoin antichrist.People are now well aware that these forked coins could not replace bitcoin.

Well you are correct in identifying Roger Ver as the anti-christ of Bitcoin, but his efforts to destroy bitcoin have been futile - a big failure.

But from your statement "forked coins spoil the reputation of Bitcoin": The opposite of what you state is true. The forks reveal themselves worthless, especially BCH.
The price demonstrates more worth and value-store over time. Altcoins, like BCH and other scamcoins are more susceptible to hacks. Bitcoin's code has been unbreakable and running for 9 years. Bitcoin has more long-term hashing power, Bitcoin has more geographic distribution of miners, Bitcoin has the real & global code developers contributing their time, Bitcoin has more true independent nodes in diverse geographies, and Bitcoin's largest coin holders are more diverse over-time instead of concentrated altcoins.

Sukut

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 02:29:00 AM

I do agree with your statement. All these forks are not helping bitcoin in any way.

What?  Huh Who said these forks are supposed to help Bitcoin anyway?

There are scammy forks out, and yes, scammy ones are scammy. But there are decent ones (BCC, BCG), that are improved in someways that BTC doesn't want to improve itself and I do not see anything wrong with this.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 2148

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 02:34:21 AM

Yes,forked coins spoil the reputation of bitcoin.It was started by roger ver who was nonce termed as bitcoin jesus and now became a bitcoin antichrist.People are now well aware that these forked coins could not replace bitcoin.

The only way they are damaging Bitcoin's reputation is by creating an illusion that there's some split in Bitcoin's community, so than the media and trolls can pickup on a juicy story how Bitcoin is consumed by some civil war while good altcoins like Ethereum or Iota are going to thrive. Of course it's all just a FUD aimed at newbies to make them drop their BTC/fiat for alts, but it seems like this myth is getting some traction, as every new fork is met with some panic on social platforms, and even some experts believe that Bitcoin's community is fighting within itself instead of focusing on improvements. So, I think we all should ignore discussing forks to kill their publicity, and maybe dump them on exchanges, although I have to admit it's quite annoying to go through the secure process of claiming them every time.
Roukawa

Activity: 546

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 02:45:43 AM

I never thought how forks can destroy the foundation of bitcoin. At first, I saw how those forks contribute to bitcoin but now, it seems like people are not anymore trusted bitcoin, specially those who are aware. Forks will make a bad influence of bitcoin. Somehow, I never wish that bitcoin will decline because of forks.

Gibreil

Activity: 805
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2017, 02:57:37 AM

Bitcoin Diamond smells fishy. Forks are made just to confuse the mentality of the people from bitcoin. Bitcoin so far is reliable and trusted company. Many people invest in bitcoin, one of the factors affect the price of bitcoin. These forks are harmful and it will create to unnecessary breakdown of bitcoin.

▀   ▀▀   ▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄          E X C H A S E   |   S I G N    U P          ▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀   ▀▀   ▀
▄▄▄▄▄                 All-in-One FinTech Ecosystem                 ▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄     [   FACEBOOK   ] [    TWITTER    ] [   TELEGRAM   ]     ▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀
bohr

Activity: 994
Merit: 257

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:02:11 PM

I do agree with your statement. All these forks are not helping bitcoin in any way. Instead they are taking away few billion dollars of market cap as well as some percentage of the hash power. This forks are making the bitcoin network weak which is not at all desirable. It is just a group of greedy miners forking away with new coin. As a community we must condemn such attempts and should not support any further fork attempts.
Well, it is kind of obvious that the forks are not going to help bitcoin and in fact are looking to damage it, most forks call themselves as the true bitcoin or the fork that is going to succeed bitcoin so if anything the forks are attempts at weakening bitcoin, they have failed at their mission but that is why the forks do not change their name since they want to create confusion about which one is the true bitcoin.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 11:33:45 PM

Well, it is kind of obvious that the forks are not going to help bitcoin and in fact are looking to damage it, most forks call themselves as the true bitcoin or the fork that is going to succeed bitcoin so if anything the forks are attempts at weakening bitcoin

bcash was intended to damage bitcoin. in fact, looking through calvin ayre's facebook pictures, one caption stated that he and craig wright (satoshi fraud) were busy "plotting the death of bitcoin" back in september. to me, it's pretty clear from roger ver and jihan wu's rhetoric that they intend bcash to be a replacement for bitcoin.

i think the others are just schemes to enrich the "developers." each one has a gimmick that differentiates it from BTC, just like 99% of altcoins. there are pre-mines, etc. they're just riding the hype and trying to shovel some free money into their pockets.

i'm not too worried. i don't see these forks as any more threatening to BTC than other altcoins. people are just using the name issue to rationalize their irrational fear of bitcoin's failure.

urbanpixel

Activity: 200

schneider

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 05:18:48 PM

Although some of the forks address some issues of BTC (transaction speed, for example), in which case it is justified to start with a new fork why would there be any need for several forks, all done in a short period of time? Why the development team did not plan forks better so they could go right with the first fork, and forget about adding new ones. More forking just confirms that they are driven by profit, with only a little interest in improvements.

▐▐   ▬▬▬▬▬   DeepOnion   ▬▬▬▬▬   ▌▌
████    40 PUBLIC AIRDROPS COMPLETED    TOR INTEGRATED    ████
▬▬▬▬   (✔) DeepVault Blockchain File Signatures  •  VoteCentral Your Vote Counts  •  deeponion.org   ▬▬▬▬
CryptoBeefy

Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 05:20:51 PM

Agree here. Greedy miners
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: