Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:22:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: very slow ethereum hashrate with amd gpu's using claymore 10.0 and 10.2  (Read 251 times)
jacober (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:34:01 PM

I have a rig running windows 10 made up of 4 rx 580's, 5 rx 570's(all modded for max hashrate) and 4 gtx 1060's on the asrock h110, 8 gb ram. When I mine the Pirl currency using claymore I get between 30 and 32 mh/s per amd gpu. When I mine Ethereum using claymore(with exact same settings) for some reason I get 22-24 mh/s per amd gpu(about 8 mh/s lower per card than it should be). The Nvidia gpu's give me the same hashrate for both Pirl and Ethereum.

I have tried mining with 1 amd gpu at a time but still get 22-24 mh/s. I thought it might be that I didn't have enough virtual memory so I bumped it up to 64 gb but still no change. I have tried both crimson 11.1 and adrenaline 12.1 amd drivers(currently using newest amd driver adrenaline 12.1). The rig is stable mining Ethereum running all 13 gpu's hitting 300 mh/s at 1500 watts from the wall. Mining Pirl with all 13 gpu's gives me 370 mh/s at 1650 watts from the wall. A power usage difference of about 150 watts

For some reason it seems like the amd gpu's are being throttled when mining Ethereum. Causing them to hit a lower hash rate and use less power. I haven't changed any settings in Claymore to over/underclock the gpu's so its really odd that this would be happening. If I mine Ethereum using the exact same settings that I use for mining Pirl I still get the 8 mhs difference per card even though both are running using the same EthDcrMiner64.exe.

Anybody experienced/experiencing a similar issue? I have a second smaller rig with 2 rx 580's and it is getting 31 mh's per card mining Ethereum with claymore using the same settings as the rig thats only getting 22-24. This problem has me totally confused.

Any ideas or thoughts would be a big help.
Omg9500

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:50:05 PM

I have a rig running windows 10 made up of 4 rx 580's, 5 rx 570's(all modded for max hashrate) and 4 gtx 1060's on the asrock h110, 8 gb ram. When I mine the Pirl currency using claymore I get between 30 and 32 mh/s per amd gpu. When I mine Ethereum using claymore(with exact same settings) for some reason I get 22-24 mh/s per amd gpu(about 8 mh/s lower per card than it should be). The Nvidia gpu's give me the same hashrate for both Pirl and Ethereum.

I have tried mining with 1 amd gpu at a time but still get 22-24 mh/s. I thought it might be that I didn't have enough virtual memory so I bumped it up to 64 gb but still no change. I have tried both crimson 11.1 and adrenaline 12.1 amd drivers(currently using newest amd driver adrenaline 12.1). The rig is stable mining Ethereum running all 13 gpu's hitting 300 mh/s at 1500 watts from the wall. Mining Pirl with all 13 gpu's gives me 370 mh/s at 1650 watts from the wall. A power usage difference of about 150 watts

For some reason it seems like the amd gpu's are being throttled when mining Ethereum. Causing them to hit a lower hash rate and use less power. I haven't changed any settings in Claymore to over/underclock the gpu's so its really odd that this would be happening. If I mine Ethereum using the exact same settings that I use for mining Pirl I still get the 8 mhs difference per card even though both are running using the same EthDcrMiner64.exe.

Anybody experienced/experiencing a similar issue? I have a second smaller rig with 2 rx 580's and it is getting 31 mh's per card mining Ethereum with claymore using the same settings as the rig thats only getting 22-24. This problem has me totally confused.

Any ideas or thoughts would be a big help.

Maybe the drivers, or the mixture of GPUs? That would be my guess if otherwise a system with 2 GPUs produces 31mh per card (which is quite normal for this card with modded Bios. I have a rig with 10 RX580 GPUs which I could only get working with drivers 17.11.3 and 17.11.4 but not with the AMD blockchain drivers....
jacober (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:09:27 PM

I removed all but 8 amd gpu's and installed the latest blockchain driver and the hashrate went back up to 30-32 per gpu. This limits me to 8 amd gpu's on the rig which sucks. I am thinking the problem must be an issue with the dag size. This would explain why Pirl is getting full speed while Ethereum isn't. I boosted the virtual memory to 64 gb and figured that would be enough to take care of any of the problems the dag size might present by not using the blockchain drivers(didn't fix the problem though).

Maybe I will try the 17.11.4 driver and see if it will work properly on those drivers and allow me to go beyond 8 amd gpu's while still hitting 30-32 mh/s.
Jrc953

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 08:32:18 PM

I’m having the exact same issue but on all my rigs including my test rig with only 1 and rx580 minin pirl alone I get 29-30mh pirl and Decred 28mh + 800 or so dcr yet when switching to ethereum it drops to 22mhs and 22mhs + 500 dice bios is missed and run in stable has anyone figured out what is going on?
oddity2505

Activity: 120
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 08:36:29 PM

I removed all but 8 amd gpu's and installed the latest blockchain driver and the hashrate went back up to 30-32 per gpu. This limits me to 8 amd gpu's on the rig which sucks. I am thinking the problem must be an issue with the dag size. This would explain why Pirl is getting full speed while Ethereum isn't. I boosted the virtual memory to 64 gb and figured that would be enough to take care of any of the problems the dag size might present by not using the blockchain drivers(didn't fix the problem though).

Maybe I will try the 17.11.4 driver and see if it will work properly on those drivers and allow me to go beyond 8 amd gpu's while still hitting 30-32 mh/s.

When you tried the 17.11.x or 17.12.x drivers, did you switch the  cards to "compute" mode in the drivers panel?
Jrc953

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:07:56 PM

Main rig with 5 vega’s and 3 580’s runs with compute @ 310mh on ethereum all still on stock settings but my test rig where I am nodding bios’s currently has just one power cooler 580 red dragon 8g which only hashed 22mhs stock doesn’t have the compute option in  settings (adrenaline.1 driver 10.4 claymore) but after bios nodded straps it still only hash’s 22mhs on ethereum but 29mh on pirl whith zero system changes it even dual mines faster while mining pirl (29+800dcr) but instantly drops back down to 22 anytime I switch back to ethereum (or 22+500dcr) I am truly confused as to what is going on and am stumped what to try
packiesla

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 05:40:04 PM

Did you guys get this sorted? I'm having the same issue: full speeds mining AKR/PIRL/MIX then I lose 10MH/s switching back to ETH. I've updated Claymore and tried different pools with no luck. It only happens on my AMD cards. (Sapphire RX570 Hynix)
androstan1234

Activity: 251
Merit: 6

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 05:59:32 PM

99.99% this is failure to set compute mode.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:08:46 PM

If you run linux you dont have all of these driver issues plus you get the added benefit of a much more stable OS that requires less maintenance....just sayin....

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
packiesla

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:54:48 PM

99.99% this is failure to set compute mode.

Correct! I didn't have the option with the blockchain driver, I uninstalled and installed the Adrenalin Driver and changed the setting.

I'm still confused as to why it worked fine previously and with mining other ethash sh1tcoins, but it's all fixed now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: