Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:46:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB / futures contract] Android tablet  (Read 2198 times)
kuzetsa (OP)

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 10:05:32 PM
Last edit: January 05, 2014, 01:09:14 AM by kuzetsa

WTB = want to buy...

I'm in the market for an android tablet with jellybean-generation or newer hardware... criteria for "new / newer" is:

Code:
ongoing development & support for the drivers and/or ROM for the hardware is still supported by manufacturer

^mandatory / non-negotiable.

Manufacturer dropped support for my old "gingerbread generation" smartphone
(and even though the specs aren't outdated, too small / not a tablet)

Desired Specs

Android:
  • Must support at least one STABLE version (not experimental / nightly / release candidate) build of cyanogenmod 10.1.2 or newer (Android Jellybean-based rom)
  • Must be rooted or able to be rooted via either USB from a connected PC, or installable root app/exploit to allow for flashing of cyanogenmod or other rom.
  • Must support loading a new non-stock android rom via any user-serviceable method
    (rooting and/or loading a new rom on the device must not require hardware mods or jtag or other exotic tampering)

Screen must be:
  • multitouch at no fewer than 3 points (higher is better)
  • at least 1024x768 OR 1280x720 minimum resolution (higher is better)
  • 100ppi pixel density or better (larger number is better)
  • Larger than my gingerbread-generation smartphone
    (2.30 inch x 4.63 inch / display area itself is 3.7 inch diagonal)

Ram / CPU / GPU must be:
  • No less than 1GB RAM
  • Reasonably fast CPU (higher is better, no less than 1.2ghz single core)
  • Must support GPU acceleration for Android JellyBean (better battery life and framerate than software-drawing)

Other:
  • Must have front-facing camera (for face-unlock, video conferencing, etc.)
  • If more than one camera on device, at least one camera must support recording at 720p HD (1280x720) resolution
  • Good battery life (no less than 3500 mAh capacity & must be rated for 8+ hours)

EDITED: organized the criteria into lists & relaxed a few requirements since bidding hadn't started yet. -- July 17, 2013

Read this before bidding:

• If your reputation isn't high enough I reserve the right to require a mutually-trusted escrow. Nobody wants a scammer tag.
  • Bid may be in bitcoin, or equiv. bitcoin indexed to either USD or Euros. Just list your USD or euro price for this method.
    (for any fiat-indexed bids, pay-date determines bitcoin amount. Non-negotiable: Payment will be done in bitcoin.)

Criteria & rules for winning bid:

• If not shipping from within the united states, mutually acceptable US-based escrow WILL be required
  • Buyer pays shipping FROM escrow, seller pays shipping TO escrow (as well as return if unit is non-working or not as described)
  • {{{ Edited to add }}} PGP signed contract by both buyer and seller will be required for winning bid, and will be posted to this thread.
    (( link for info on process which is often used for #bitcoin-otc trades ))

Any bid which costs 30% more than a new unit purchased at retail price is invalid.
Used units must cost no more than retail price for new (higher price is invalid)

Best price (only counting valid bids) will be the selected unit with two exceptions:

I reserve the option to pass over a "winning" bid and select a different bid for a tablet with one or more better specs
(including but not limited to: preferring a non-used device, larger battery, CPU speed, compatibility, etc. etc. etc.)

This is an auction for two reasons:

To get a variety of bids...

To give me time to mine enough bitcoin to pay for it:

I have a BFL 5GH/s miner on-order, but the backlog is very long (pay date april 23, 2013)
... so I probably can't buy this yet (in the 2013 calendar year)
... I will select the best bid NO SOONER than May 2014
(aprox 10 month lead-time... example device which meets criteria: Nexus 7)

The bids will stay open until after enough bitcoin has been mined.

Example scenario 1:

• BFL 5GH/s miner arrives today
  • $600 USD winning bid (indexed)
  • bitcoin exchange rate stays at or around $95
  • enough bitcoin is mined before start of May 1st 2014, so the winning bid is selected on May 1st 2014

Example scenario 2:

• BFL 5GH/s miner arrives in November 2013 (and difficulty increases / profitability is lower)
  • $400 USD winning bid (indexed)
  • bitcoin exchange rate drops to around $75
  • Assuming 100 million average difficulty, and $75 exchange rate, 5 months is still enough to mine $400 worth of bitcoin before May 1st 2014

Example scenario 3:

• BFL 5GH/s miner arrives in January 2013 (and difficulty increases / profitability is lower)
  • $300 USD winning bid (indexed)
  • bitcoin exchange rate drops to around $50
  • Assuming 125 million average difficulty, and $50 exchange rate, it will take aprox 10 months to mine $300 worth of bitcoin and the auction will still close before December 31st 2014

There are enough tablets out there for less than the cost of a new Nexus 7 that I don't think I'll have trouble selecting a bid before December 31st 2014.

Repeating for emphasis: I will select the best bid NO SOONER than May 2014

Last edited at 18:08 Local NY time, Wednesday July 17, 2013
(ppi / pixels per inch was stated wrong. Changed to 100ppi minimum.
... and now correctly states "larger number is better" because that's my actual preference
)

Thread title changed to include words "futures contract"

... Just past midnight UTC, so it's depending on your timezone it's either 2014, January 5th or here in NY it's still late night on the 4th

No content of the original post changed, just re-titled slightly.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 10:06:42 PM

just a tip, use escrow regardless of reputation. lots of hackers/account buyers around here.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
kuzetsa (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 10:14:47 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2013, 10:28:29 PM by kuzetsa

just a tip, use escrow regardless of reputation. lots of hackers/account buyers around here.

Good point... I'm willing to take SOME risk though.

There are no bids yet so I'll add one new thing to the post:

PGP signed contract by both buyer and seller will be required for winning bid, and will be posted to this thread.

{{{ placeholder for winning bid }}}

Ok, done.

I really find it annoying that the page in question was written using the acronym GPG rather than PGP, but this is basically what it is:

In case of dispute, it is a great idea to have a double-gpg-signed contract prior to the transaction. This way, if any party claims non-receipt of funds to an address, incorrect price, or other issues, you have a gpg-signed contract you can lean on. Of course, this won't help you if you have run into a scammer who is just out to take the money and run, but it will be helpful in case of a legitimate dispute between honest parties.

Some suggested items to include in your contract text (complete list may vary depending on nature of the transaction):

Amount of bitcoins involved
Amount of other currency/goods involved
Price per coin
Who bears the transaction fees, both on bitcoin-side and the other side
The deadline for completion of contract
Bitcoin address for funds receipt
Other currency processor address for funds receipt

^Most of that isn't relevant for this, but the following process is:

The procedure for creating a double-signed document is straightforward: first, party 1 clearsigns the document, and sends the text to party 2. Then party 2 verifies the signature, then clearsigns the entire clearsigned document, including all headers, and sends the double-signed document back to party 1. Party 1 verifies the second party's signature, as well as own nested signature inside. Now, both are in possession of a double-signed contract document.
Make sure that the key used by the other party matches the GPG key registered on OTC for the user!
It is strongly recommended that you do this, for all but the most trivially-sized transactions.

I won't require the winning bidder to be a member of bitcoin-otc web of trust, but it's preferred so that the rating system can be used after the escrow process / contract / purchase is completed.

Here's my own info:

PGP / GPG key which will be used to sign the contract on my end (as well as the bitcoin address I have registered with bitcoin-otc)

merv77

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:11:16 AM

could you please explain how this works?

I sell tablet pc's, do you want to buy one?
and when 12 months from now?
zakoliverz

Activity: 536

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:18:10 AM

you still need Android tablet?
kuzetsa (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 03:50:44 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2013, 05:26:15 PM by kuzetsa

you still need Android tablet?

Yes:

I need a new android device for app development and fun and games and such. My old "gingerbread era" smartphone came with froyo and doesn't properly support ice cream sandwich or jelly bean without bugs or driver compatibility issues. Results vary from camera or GPS suddenly freezing, to random reboots, reduced battery life, loew framerate, etc. etc. etc. I really need something new, and a larger screen will be better to work and play with.

I didn't select the month "May 2014" arbitrarily. Assuming I can mine enough bitcoin between now and then, this tablet is intended to be a birthday gift to myself which I would have originally purchased this year instead of a BFL 5GH/s ASIC thingy...

In the event that BFL's miner takes so long to arrive that I can't mine enough bitcoin before December 2014 (to pay for a tablet listed on this thread) I am promising that I will make up the difference by purchasing bitcoin from an exchange, bitinstant, OTC, or otherwise acquire more bitcoin and still use bitcoin to purchase a tablet quoted on this thread.

could you please explain how this works?

I sell tablet pc's, do you want to buy one?
and when 12 months from now?

If you want, list some prices in this thread for anything you think I'll be happy with
(please review the feature wishlist in the original post)

I'll treat your quotes as bids:

For whichever model I decide I'm interested in (anything which meets the criteria in the original post) I'll select and purchase from whoever has the best quote / bid.

Repeating for emphasis -- for the quotes / bids to be valid:

If used, the price must be no higher than retail price.

If unit is new (still under warranty) the quoted price must be no more than 30% higher than market price for purchasing the same model of android tablet via retail for fiat currency.
merv77

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 05:03:32 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2013, 06:38:56 PM by merv77

I currently offer 2 models

1. PiPo Max M9 @ BTC2.8
see review here: http://www.topnotchtablets.com/pipo-max-m9-review

2. Cube U30GT2 @ BTC3.2
see review here: http://www.topnotchtablets.com/cube-u30GT2-review

above prices do not include shipping.
and I have tablets in hand in Australia (Melbourne), pick up available.

shipping to United States BTC0.35
shipping to Europe approximately BTC0.45 (if interested PM me or with your country for more accurate price)
shipping to Australia BTC0.2
above prices are for registered post requiring signature on delivery

I've been into tablets for a while and recently got into selling them. I will be listing some on eBay from next week.

edit: prices adjusted.
Cheers
kuzetsa (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 05:43:49 PM

1. PiPo Max M9 @ BTC2.6

2. Cube U30GT2 @ BTC3.0

I've been into tablets for a while and recently got into selling them. I will be listing some on eBay from next week.

Would you like me to list specs and pics on forum or are you fine with links?

I spent a few minutes looking at the specs...

Neither of those tablets appears to officially support running the cyanogenmod roms... The specs are lovely though, so I really might consider these devices if the pricepoint is better than all the other offers / quotes / bids.

I just finished the final draft for the "original" post (just for emphasis / clarification) and I wanted to point out something which seems to be very relevant since you're not in the united states:

Criteria & rules for winning bid:

• If not shipping from within the united states, mutually acceptable US-based escrow WILL be required
  • Buyer pays shipping FROM escrow, seller pays shipping TO escrow (as well as return if unit is non-working or not as described)
  • {{{ Edited to add }}} PGP signed contract by both buyer and seller will be required for winning bid, and will be posted to this thread.
    (( link for info on process which is often used for #bitcoin-otc trades ))

Any bid which costs 30% more than a new unit purchased at retail price is invalid.
Used units must cost no more than retail price for new (higher price is invalid)

Best price (only counting valid bids) will be the selected unit with two exceptions:

I reserve the option to pass over a "winning" bid and select a different bid for a tablet with one or more better specs
(including but not limited to: preferring a non-used device, larger battery, CPU speed, compatibility, etc. etc. etc.)

^ Specifically:

(quote) "If not shipping from within the united states, mutually acceptable US-based escrow WILL be required"

(and) "Buyer pays shipping FROM escrow, seller pays shipping TO escrow (as well as return if unit is non-working or not as described)"

Since you are overseas, please feel free to adjust your price by up to 30%

I am requiring shipping to an escrow located in the united states for anyone not located in the united states.

The way I decided to handle shipping was "no more than 30% added to the price, no matter where it ships from"
(or for used, the price must be no higher than retail price for a new device still under warranty)
Xer0

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

°^°

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 07:29:25 PM

I have a Ainol Novo 7 with CM10, but its 800x480...
kuzetsa (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 07:41:39 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2013, 08:02:05 PM by kuzetsa

My Nexus 7 cost £189 and that's the 32Gb version. IIRC the 16Gb version costs £159.

Should be cheaper in US for you...

"Better" specs are just a bonus for my needs. I'm more interested in compatibility / official support for jellybean-versions of cyanogenmod than I am in specs... Nexus 7 is actually one of the best devices for custom rom development at the moment. Thanks so much. This is the first bid / offer I've seen for a Nexus 7 Smiley

Any chance you're willing to quote a price in bitcoin, USD, or euros? I think the volume for GBP is low enough that indexing to USD or euros is better for price stability... correct me if I'm wrong.

Is the tablet used? Are you actually offering a nexus 7?

Sorry for all the questions all at once.

Edited to add:

I just did a price check. If I were to walk into a store TODAY and pay retail price for a Nexus 7 (after NY sales tax)

$250 USD + NY sales tax = $270 USD + 30% = aprox $350 USD
(maximum I'll allow for a valid bid on 32GB model of Nexus 7)

Today's exchange rate is aprox BTC3.6 / $350 USD / 266 euro / 230 GBP
... the symbol for euro and gbp are not easy with my US keyboard layout.

If you're offering a nexus 7, That is the maximum bid I will accept as a valid bid / offer.
(30% higher than local store to offset the costs of shipping to escrow)
kuzetsa (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 08:32:34 PM

1. PiPo Max M9 @ BTC2.8

2. Cube U30GT2 @ BTC3.2

shipping to Europe approximately BTC0.45 (if interested PM me or with your country for more accurate price)

Cheers

Well... I'm in NY (New york is in the 'states, not in australia) so I guess the prices update for "registered post" (signature required) was for australia?

Please update for the correct prices would to include shipping to an escrow based in the 'states...

Also, I'm curious about something:

Is topnotchtablets your own site?

I saw several tablets listed which fall within my newly relaxed requirements for screen resolution.
(Just checked and the 800 x 480 on my old ADR6300 isn't all that bad. I don't like tiny fonts anyway...
... so I'm updating the original post to only require 1024x768 OR 1280x720 minimum resolution
)

kuzetsa (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:36:34 PM

My Nexus 7 cost £189 and that's the 32Gb version. IIRC the 16Gb version costs £159.

Should be cheaper in US for you...
((... snip ...))

Is the tablet used? Are you actually offering a nexus 7?

((... snip ...))

Well my Nexus 7 is mine Tongue I have a lot of customised stuff on my tablet which I need.

However if you want me to go and buy you one and ship it over, that's not a problem. As long as you cover the price and the shipping and the price of a beer, sure I don't mind doing you a favour.

Well I had my hopes up for nothing... Perhaps?

I really hope you're either serious about that "shipping and a beer" offer.

I really do like that idea.

I'd be willing to have you or someone else proxy-buy a nexus 7 or similar device if I can't find "something else" on this thread.

"Nexus 7 or something else" = "device which satisfies all my compatibility requirements and/or better spec than nexus 7 ... or otherwise device which I like better"

(I'd probably prefer to have it shipped from vendor directly to my house to save on international shipping, but I'll still tip you enough bitcoin to account for the cost of a beer)

How strange is it that I'm excited and singing "happy birthday to me" when it's still another 10 months off?
merv77

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:43:12 PM

1. PiPo Max M9 @ BTC2.8

2. Cube U30GT2 @ BTC3.2

Cheers

Well... I'm in NY (New york is in the 'states, not in australia) so I guess the prices update for "registered post" (signature required) was for australia?

Please update for the correct prices would to include shipping to an escrow based in the 'states...

I saw several tablets listed which fall within my newly relaxed requirements for screen resolution.
(Just checked and the 800 x 480 on my old ADR6300 isn't all that bad. I don't like tiny fonts anyway...
... so I'm updating the original post to only require 1024x768 OR 1280x720 minimum resolution
)

yes that's also registered post (signature required) to New York USA
if escrow is used  to John K, is he located in USA?

and no, topnotchtablets.com not mine, they say they're from North America on home page.
kuzetsa (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 11:54:54 PM

)

yes that's also registered post (signature required) to New York USA
if escrow is used  to John K, is he located in USA?

and no, topnotchtablets.com not mine, they say they're from North America on home page.

I wasn't able to determine if John K (AKA johnthedong on freenode / OTC-WoT) is US-based or not. The reputation and escrow fee is reasonable, and I will pay the escrow fees & shipping from the escrow if John K turns out to be based in the 'states.

It's a bit premature to select an escrow within the first week.

The actual purchase will be in 2014 and there's a good possibility that the winning bid could be someone domestic (Or otherwise shipping from the 'states) and the seller might have a good enough reputation that we might agree to a deal without escrow.

There's no way to know that the winning bid will require international shipping. International shipping is mandatory escrow for me.
(Not worth risking a scammer tag for anyone even if the seller has a flawless reputation if "customs / duty tax, etc." might go sour)
kuzetsa (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:25:45 AM

Multiple people in the bitcoin community have pointed out that I might do better to just buy a gift card using bitcoin & shop for whatever suits my needs.

I was originally hoping to get a "gently used" tablet from someone who wanted to get into bitcoin, but buying a gift-card from someone would be fine too.

Thanks for everyone who posted so far Smiley
hendo420

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 10:06:54 PM

try gyft

buy an amazon giftcard for bitcoin.

I will throw my offer into the ring tho.

I have an ASUS Transformer TF101
Its flawless, no scratches or scuffs, works like new. It is rooted and does support cyanogenmod I believe I just haven't flashed it as all of the "cool" stuff in cyanogen mod is already on the tablet with newest firmware. lol

I'm asking 2.5btc at current exchange rate. If by the time you decide to buy btc price has changed we can reevaluate the price.  Wink

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U78J1G/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

ebmarket.co
kuzetsa (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 07:55:30 PM

Looks like there is a consensus...

I guess I should just sell like I should just sell between $100 and 400 USD worth of bitcoin and buy whatever tablet I'm happy with.

That said, I'm still going to honor any serious offers from this thread which meet ALL the criteria (specs) listed in the original post (including the mandatory manufacturer-supported ROM development of the appropriate version of android OS, and not being "invalid" due to being severely overcharged, etc.)

This is partly a thread bump, but mostly also saying:

"backup plan will be to sell some bitcoin, thanks for everyone who suggested I do that instead."
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 03:52:15 PM

Jesus that's a lot of words for a $200 tablet

miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 04:18:52 PM

Jesus that's a lot of words for a $200 tablet

+1

I have a Samsung galaxy tab 2 I'm not using.  Rooted. 

But as far as reading all of this:

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 04:25:13 PM

I think he's looking for a futures contract for a tablet

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: