Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:54:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Expect bitcoin to be "banned" - expect the ban to be ignored  (Read 3481 times)
Trader Steve (OP)

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:16:54 PM

Interesting article:

Expect bitcoin to be "banned" - expect the ban to be ignored
by Anthony Freeman
http://economicsandliberty.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/expect-bitcoin-to-be-%E2%80%9Cbanned%E2%80%9D-expect-the-ban-to-be-ignored/

Man, by nature, wants to be free. He wants to choose how he lives his life. He wants to choose with whom he will associate. He wants to choose with whom he will trade. He wants to choose how his money is spent. Bitcoin gives him a greater ability to do all of these.

In my previous posts (here, here, here and here) I point out the endearing features of bitcoin and the direct threat of bitcoin to governments and central banks. Because bitcoin has the potential to make these institutions obsolete, expect them to attempt to ban and restrict bitcoin anyway they can.

The incentives to use bitcoin are too great. Yes, I expect bitcoin to be “banned” and restricted by central planners in many ways. I also expect these bans and restrictions to be ignored and circumvented. The incentives are too great. Man wants to be free.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:34:01 PM

how does a politician go about banning something that is good for 99.99% of the non-banker population?
Trader Steve (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:40:52 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2011, 11:55:59 PM by Trader Steve

how does a politician go about banning something that is good for 99.99% of the non-banker population?

Since when has a politician put the interests of the individual ahead of the bankers and central planners?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:42:11 PM

Since when has a politician put the interests of the individual over the bankers and central planners?

when his re-election depends on it.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 11:57:34 PM

They can't bet us, and so they will join us.  Grin

Banks will give us a hell of a fight, that much is to be expected....everyone hopes Bitcoin is the beginning of the end for the banks.

but what can they really do?

i expect a totally unexpected turn of events for bitcoin. Tongue

Trader Steve (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:04:06 AM

Since when has a politician put the interests of the individual over the bankers and central planners?

Surely you are being sarcastic because you cannot possibly be serious. The "new guy" is bought and paid for by the same people who controlled the "old guy".

Here's an entertaining article that further illustrates this:

Politics is a Scam - Why I Will Never Vote Again - by James Altucher
http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2011/06/politics-is-a-scam-why-i-will-never-vote-again/
J180

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:15:24 AM

Surely you are being sarcastic because you cannot possibly be serious. The "new guy" is bought and paid for by the same people who controlled the "old guy".

Here's an entertaining article that further illustrates this:

Politics is a Scam - Why I Will Never Vote Again - by James Altucher
http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2011/06/politics-is-a-scam-why-i-will-never-vote-again/

There's a lot of people who think politicians have an incentive to win elections. A lot more who think they try to serve both (attracting votes while appealing to concentrated interests at the same time). So there isn't a need to be 'sure' he's being 'sarcastic'. It even sounds rude to assume that.
done

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:22:42 AM

Expect Anthony Freeman to be clueless for life  Cool
Trader Steve (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:41:11 AM

Expect Anthony Freeman to be clueless for life  Cool

Did you read the article (and his previous articles)? He is merely pointing out how bitcoin is likely to succeed despite opposition from central planners. He is friend to bitcoin and individual freedom - not an enemy.
lettucebee

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:52:20 AM

Interesting article:

Expect bitcoin to be "banned" - expect the ban to be ignored
by Anthony Freeman
http://economicsandliberty.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/expect-bitcoin-to-be-%E2%80%9Cbanned%E2%80%9D-expect-the-ban-to-be-ignored/

Man, by nature, wants to be free. He wants to choose how he lives his life. He wants to choose with whom he will associate. He wants to choose with whom he will trade. He wants to choose how his money is spent.

I don't know, man. There were a lot of boot-lickers in the newbie colony criticizing me for complaining about the process of chaining up new people to this forum until they clap their hands like good little seals. You will find a large proportion of people who will gladly give up their freedom for a little bit of "order".  It may well be that these kind of people are not the ones who produce new ideas, though.

▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
█████▀              ▀█████
▄████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▀████▄
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
█▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████████▀  ▄█
██▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████▀  ▄██
███▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█▀  ▄███
▀███▄  ▀█████▄     ▄███▀
▀████▄  ▀████▀  ▄████▀
█████▄  ▀▀  ▄█████
▀█████▄  ▄█████▀
▀█████  █████▀
▀████████▀
██████
▀██▀
E R N
               ▄▄█████████▄▄
           ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
        ▄███████▀▀       ▀▀███████▄
       █████▀▀               ▀▀█████
     ▄████▀    ▄▄█████████▄▄    ▀████▄
    ████▀   ▄█████████████████▄   ▀████
   ████    █████████████████████    ████
 █████    ███████  ▀█████████████    █████
█████    █████████    ▀███████████    █████
████    ▄██████████▄     ▀████████▄    ████
████    █████████████       ███████    ████
████    ▀██████████▀     ▄████████▀    ████
█████    █████████    ▄███████████    █████
 █████    ███████  ▄█████████████    █████
           █████████████████████
            ▀█████████████████▀
               ▀▀█████████▀▀
████
████

████
████

████
████

████
████
TOKEN SALE
AIRDROP
                              ████
                              ████

████
          ████            ████  ████

████  ████  ████  ████  ████

████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
  ▬▬   GET IN TOUCH   ▬▬ 
TELEGRAM  FACEBOOK  TWITTER
YOUTUBE   INSTAGRAM
Trader Steve (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:55:35 AM

There's a lot of people who think politicians have an incentive to win elections. A lot more who think they try to serve both (attracting votes while appealing to concentrated interests at the same time). So there isn't a need to be 'sure' he's being 'sarcastic'. It even sounds rude to assume that.

I was the one being sarcastic. I'm still surprised at how many people still believe in the political process and the "pagan faith" in the State. I don't mean offense - I simply suggest that people take a hard look at what the political process has produced.  I like Rose Lane Wilder's observation that people have a misplaced faith in "external authority". Robert LeFevre discussed this as well in his great essay "A Way To Be Free": http://centerforselfrule.org/a-way-to-be-free/

Okay, I'm done with my philosophizing. How do you protect yourself from those who wish to restrict your freedom of choice?
Trader Steve (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:56:07 AM

@lettucebee:

I love your handle!
GamblingPurveyor

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 04:19:55 AM

Voters were vehemently opposed to the 2008 bailout. Politicians did it anyway. Voters' response (and their likely electoral response to a Bitcoin ban):

Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 04:34:19 AM

With the world population reaching beyond 6 Billion, and bitcoins theoretical limit of 21 million coins, regardless of decimal places, the banning of Bitcoin by Governments and Central Banks will be most welcome.

It will spark the beginning of a decentralized currency which will be far more widespread, secure, and much more of a threat to central banks and government than Bitcoin could ever have been, as it will build upon the infrastructure that is currently being laid into place.

Or it could tank and the sheep will go back to their TVs with empty pockets.
m0w3r

Activity: 131

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 06:06:11 AM

Bitcoin needs to have a "critical mass" of people to make a self sustaining economy.  Since it is worldwide, it has a possibility to get enough people to get that "critical mass".

lettucebee

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 04:55:42 PM

I don't understand why anyone thinks the wealthiest countries--that is, the ones with the world's most ruthless and cunning criminals in charge--banning bitcoin would be a good thing.  We also know--based on how anti-terrorism legislation after the U.S.-sponsored 9-11 event was coordinated across the western world--that banning of bitcoin would be similarly coordinated across western countries. It would be a massive blow. The price of bitcoin would plummet as all of the weak hands pissed their pants and fled. 

This would not be a good thing in the short run, at least. Longer term things might recover as bitcoin takes its place among the world's outlaws.

▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
█████▀              ▀█████
▄████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▀████▄
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
█▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████████▀  ▄█
██▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████▀  ▄██
███▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█▀  ▄███
▀███▄  ▀█████▄     ▄███▀
▀████▄  ▀████▀  ▄████▀
█████▄  ▀▀  ▄█████
▀█████▄  ▄█████▀
▀█████  █████▀
▀████████▀
██████
▀██▀
E R N
               ▄▄█████████▄▄
           ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
        ▄███████▀▀       ▀▀███████▄
       █████▀▀               ▀▀█████
     ▄████▀    ▄▄█████████▄▄    ▀████▄
    ████▀   ▄█████████████████▄   ▀████
   ████    █████████████████████    ████
 █████    ███████  ▀█████████████    █████
█████    █████████    ▀███████████    █████
████    ▄██████████▄     ▀████████▄    ████
████    █████████████       ███████    ████
████    ▀██████████▀     ▄████████▀    ████
█████    █████████    ▄███████████    █████
 █████    ███████  ▄█████████████    █████
           █████████████████████
            ▀█████████████████▀
               ▀▀█████████▀▀
████
████

████
████

████
████

████
████
TOKEN SALE
AIRDROP
                              ████
                              ████

████

████  ████  ████  ████  ████

▬▬   GET IN TOUCH   ▬▬ 
TELEGRAM  FACEBOOK  TWITTER
YOUTUBE   INSTAGRAM
Bobnova

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 05:08:33 PM

Why would the banks ban it when they are the ideal "Trusted Third Party" that could get around the 10 minute delay before confirmation?

If I were a bank looking at this, I'd get myself set up to act as a third party to allow instant transactions, and then charge 5-10% transaction fees for "instant" transactions.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 06:31:26 PM

Politicians need Bitcoin to continue stealing money from their citizens.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: