Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:18:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Total crypto market is now worth HALF A TRILLION dollars  (Read 384 times)
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:19:08 PM

BTC to break $300B cap. This just took the cryptocurrency market to an astonishing $500B!

Under construction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MiningSensei

Activity: 766
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:40:39 PM

BTC to break $300B cap. This just took the cryptocurrency market to an astonishing $500B!

Yay, 500 billion dollars are a lot of money, i just saw a lot of people on the TV talking bullshit about bitcoin, that it was a ponzi, and bla bla bla.

It is always the same, but no one is looking at all the money that is being invested on bitcoin, and i think that this is the most important thing about cryptos.

Without trust, there is nothing left in here, it just works like a relationship, without trust, we can not go anywhere.

Hello
Beerwizzard

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:45:45 AM

The number is ofcourse great but I've always been sceptical about market cap. Today btc is 16k bot a moment later someone bought one coin for 15.9k and BTC market cap lost thousands of dollars. You should also exclude all scamcoins from the total market cap. The only bitconnect should probably have a pretty big part in this number and there are also a lot of even more scammy coins.
nikauforest

Activity: 298
Merit: 149

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 06:09:26 AM

The amazing thing is we started 2017 off at 17.7 billion. What a great year!

https://coinmarketcap.com/historical/20170101/
13abyknight

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 07:15:45 AM

That is just a huge number right there and keep in mind that we're still in 2017, with Bitcoin growing from just below $1000 at the beginning of the year to over $16k right now and speculations said the five digit milestone would only be reached in 2018. That's a whopping 1500% growth and of course would make the market cap even higher.

Not to mention major altcoins like Ethereum, Monero, Dash, Ripple etc have also grown at their own exponential rates in the year giving a big pump to the overall cryptocurrency market cap.
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 07:36:26 AM

Just because the market cap for cryptocurrencies have reached $500 billion doesn't mean cryptocurrecies are worth that much. Not many people seem to know this, but crypto market cap is only measured by ciruclating supply x price per unit. Crypto's value isn't that linear, because simple movement can cause the price to change.

You think someone with $500 billion can buy every cryptocurrency coin in existence? Nope. As the supply decreases, the value increases. This works the other way around too, because massive dumps cause massive dips.

I concede that it's a good metric to measure crypto's collective growth though.

TERA2

Activity: 266
Merit: 222

Deb Rah Von Doom

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 07:45:30 AM

60659 📦
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 08:13:21 AM

well that is great for bitcoin and it shows the growth that bitcoin has and the way adoption of a new technology which happens to be very good and useful is going to be like when it starts. the fast and big rise.
but still that is market cap and it is not really the best variable you can use for a cryptocurrency, it is more suitable for companies instead.
it becomes specially useless when you are talking about the "total market cap" which is including all the altcoins and useless tokens that have been created notstop every single day. each of them add ridiculous amounts to this total market capitalization and none of them mean anything. they just exist and a lot of them are not even used or even traded anymore!

Only Bitcoin
camaund

Activity: 37
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 09:40:30 AM

I still dont get why the call BTC a ponzi or a pyramid scheme. If it was a pyramid you would need to "recruit" your friends, or things like that. And a ponzi scheme will see BTC paying dividends or returns to initial investors. The lack of knowledge is the biggest enemy, they blindly follow media and dont do their own research. I really like blockchain technology and what can bring to financial securities. As a real use, I use it all the time to send money to my country without high fees (even higher than BTC miners fees)
btcney

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 09:46:41 AM

Bitcoin is going to break the $300b market cap mark prety soon it seems. And when it does it'll probably take the entire cryptocurrency market with it, i don't even think that $500 billion is going to be an accurate estimate. Something more like $600-700 billion.

Whether or not it can hit the astonishing figure of $1 trillion next year is the real question here.

It has been an amazing ride, and most of the fuel has come from bitcoin. We've seen altcoins outperform bitcoin in the first half of the year and now bitcoin is really a lot stronger than in the first half.
BingoDog

Activity: 658
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 09:52:11 AM

Crypto market is growing rapidly, probably faster than anyone expected before but this is the reality and this is the future. Anyone who wants to be part of the future should join this train now.
All this false information about ponzi scheems and simlilar are just an attempt to discredit bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies because some see them as threat. But cryptocurrency revolution couldn't be stoped anaymore and more and more people are becoming aware of this fact. In couple of years majority of inhabitants in this world will have at least one cryptocurrency, that is my opinion.

malaj
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 09:56:24 AM

I still dont get why the call BTC a ponzi or a pyramid scheme. If it was a pyramid you would need to "recruit" your friends, or things like that. And a ponzi scheme will see BTC paying dividends or returns to initial investors. The lack of knowledge is the biggest enemy, they blindly follow media and dont do their own research. I really like blockchain technology and what can bring to financial securities. As a real use, I use it all the time to send money to my country without high fees (even higher than BTC miners fees)

In a sense it is a pyramid scheme and there's nothing wrong with that.

Ask new investors the following.
- Did you buy Bitcoin to use it as a payment system?
- Did you buy Bitcoin to profit from the crazy price increase?

People talking about Bitcoin makes others want in on the deal. This is how a conman gets people on board.

But then again this "pyramid scheme" brings a valid technology to the table (Blockchain).
This will ensure the bubble won't pop but wither down into a stable state.

Once things settle down Bitcoin will be a stable currency used to buy stuff.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:01:17 AM

This will ensure the bubble won't pop but wither down into a stable state.

I´m not so sure about the verisimilitude of this statement.

You have to realize that during the current 2017 BTC bull run (or rather a cryptocurrency bull run in general)
many new investors entered the market, who are not as tech-savvy and experienced as the early adopters. They haven´t experienced
a single bear market yet and will easily panic when such a market will occur. The people, who hold through 2014-2015
have strong hands and will likely hold even through another prolonged period of a declining BTC price. But the newbies,
who bought in this year will easily sell when they realize that Bitcoin is not only going to go up indefinitely. Especially the guys, who got into
(credit card) debt in order to accumulate Bitcoin. These "weak hands" can easily cause an unprecedented price decline
when they start to panic sell.

Yaunfitda

Activity: 2828
Merit: 575

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 01:33:45 PM

Bitcoin is going to break the $300b market cap mark prety soon it seems. And when it does it'll probably take the entire cryptocurrency market with it, i don't even think that $500 billion is going to be an accurate estimate. Something more like $600-700 billion.

Whether or not it can hit the astonishing figure of $1 trillion next year is the real question here.

It has been an amazing ride, and most of the fuel has come from bitcoin. We've seen altcoins outperform bitcoin in the first half of the year and now bitcoin is really a lot stronger than in the first half.

Yeah, bitcoin could really break the $300b market cap very soon as it sits around 57% of the total crypto marketcap. Really scary though to think bitcoin started this year at $700 and not it grows to $17K. If we crosses $20K this year, I think $300b market cap will also be touch.

I agree that marketcap is not a good barometer to measure coins real value, but you can't help to be astonished how much money is being poured in bitcoin and crypto currencies in general.

If we continue with this trend then there's no doubt that 1 trillion could be cross as well next year.

Mostly crypto's is fuel by the Asian investors, and I don't think that we will see a slow down next year. On the contrary, I'm seeing Japan and South Korea will still lead this march, with US and the rest of the Western Hemisphere at its side. 2018 will be another exciting year for crypto, no doubt about it.

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
pjhom

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 02:34:37 PM

Really looking to 2018, to see if we hit $1 trillion or not.  2017 has been a stellar year.  It seems hard to imagine things continuing at this pace though.
haroldtee

Activity: 644
Merit: 299

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:23:35 PM

Funny, at the beginning of this year what the whole crypto market cap was and then in just the same year that we have not even ended, we have gotten this huge and still with a lot of room for even more growth. Looking at the adoption of crypto lately and the cap, it is good to know we are really in for the huge ride. Times are changing and it is enough to be astonished and then imagining what the future is really going to be like, most especially when BTC even gets the scaling issue out of the way.
Nevertheless, it is still a thing to be worried about considering all options which the main one is the fact that majority of new investors have no idea what they are investing in and any little scare can cause a heavy earthquake in the market. Just sharing my fears though!
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:46:15 PM

There are more than 1000 coins right now and this number is increasing everyday.
500 billion $ is distributed among all this coins but bitcoin is still dominating market with over 55% market share.

Marketcap of bitcoin alone might even cross $1 trillion really soon.  Wink
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 02:17:45 AM

This really looks like a dotcom bubble, because we have a huge 224 billion marketcap of shitcoins that barely have any use in real world - ETH has CryptoKitties smart contracts and XMR has privacy. Aside from that, there's no reason to have all those other coin, except maybe for LTC to use it when BTC and ETH have congestions, all those vaporwave projects that are promised by coins and tokens can be implemented on sidechains of BTC or ETH at some point. I doubt that altcoins will actually die, there will probably always be thousands of useless coins floating around, but in the future we will have a few big blockchains having 95% market share combined, because it's wasteful and impractical to have so many blockchains that are not secured by nodes and miners.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
ihaveaquestion

Activity: 563
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 03:05:27 AM

Because that is huge, no one can mention it.

Just tell me, how many times has Dash doubled it's price since it got released? More than 100

And litecoin? More than 50 too.

Not to mention major altcoins like Ethereum, Monero, Dash, Ripple etc have also grown at their own exponential rates in the year giving a big pump to the overall cryptocurrency market cap.

Bitcoin is probably the only one who increased less times, only that yes, it has an incredible value and probably this is what makes the whole difference with the other altcoins.

But 500 B is a lot of money, i can not wait anymore until it reaches 1 trillion,  Lips sealed
RamonBTC

Activity: 392
Merit: 106

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 03:15:39 AM

Yeah, I’m sure most of us knew that it will come at this time but honestly not as drastic happen this past weeks. I’m not worried or anything but amazed that even the mainstream keep on attacking cryptocurrency this still goes beyond expectations by some investors. At a given time, 2017 is the most important year of bitcoin investment and 2018 will continue what have been started. So be ready to ride along.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: