Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:18:51 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do You Think Bitcoin Could Have Existed in the 90s?  (Read 516 times)
Capitalism Prevails (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 11:27:33 PM

With the infrastructure and hardware of that time?

BTC:  1KX3MSyeHoubjvRMvkc4DXBXvEx9fr9cvV                              Strength In Numbers
LTC:  LaGawfU1ZJu33Lj6CX6NJ5WXWsfjPbLLLW                          In Cryptography We Trust
NMC:  N5EUwGbCNF1AYmZqNu9J7aYJVKxqbJoJG8          Cut Off One Node, Two More Will Take Its Place
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 11:29:39 PM

I would have likely been into it, I was all about the internet after about 95 or so. All kind of new applications, BTC could have had a longer time to build underground and I don't see why it couldn't have been adopted in the same fashion, minus the large scale ability to convey information to masses - that part would be more important once it is stable and capable, more importantly, healthy against attack. What are the inherent problems with it existing in the 90s? We had CPUs, GPUs, I ran SETI, so why couldn't we have been mining?

BTC Long.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 11:32:24 PM

Probably not.  Not just from a hardware standpoint.  The concept of a decentralized networks is more established.  Although it is a crude analogy BitCoin is to money as Bittorrent is to data.
BitcoinChick25

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 12:28:10 AM

Probably but I'm sure the technology would cost a lot more. Maybe if the miners were paid more.
uncle-paul

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 12:32:41 AM

I think it may have been able to be made, but it would not be used as much. It would be much slower aswell
enuma

Activity: 34

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 04:42:35 AM

Nope, new ideas need a fertile soil to grow and the mindset of the 90´s was not ready for the idea of a cryptocurrency....

And comom most of us were playing snes, playstation, pc games and other stuff game/virtual related stuff, in a way the 90´s molded our mindset so that nowadays we could accept such a idea. The  dominant generation of 90 simply would not take cryptos easly, just try to explain bitcoin to ur parents....
Addz

Activity: 34

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 04:43:36 AM

Could you imagine trying to download an 8gb Blockchain on dialup internet?   Undecided
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 05:45:12 AM

Probably but I'm sure the technology would cost a lot more. Maybe if the miners were paid more.
Not really. The difficulty doesn't necessarily make Bitcoin any more or less secure. Difficulty doesn't make Bitcoin "work" - it could run perfectly fine if the network were made up of 80kh/s so long as it was very expensive to purchase/lease 1kh/s of hashpower.

Put another way - right now, it costs maybe $125 for 1GH/s with the algorithms BTC uses, and the total network hashpower is ~225TH/s. So, @ $125/1GHps the network "costs" around $28.13M.

Let's say it's the 90s and everyone's hashing on an AMD K6, and (out of my ass) let's say it provided 100h/s for $125. The NV1, RAGE and whatever was out, but my point works out whether GPU mining would've been viable or not. Anyway, the Bitcoin network could still do everything securely if, in total, it still cost $28.13M for the active hardware - it's just the total network hashpower would be something like 225KH/s (no guarantees on my math, there!). This wouldn't be a problem because difficulty would be EXTREMELY low (relative to now). The network would still be secure because it'd cost everyone else the same amount of cash for the same % of total network hashrate. The amount miners earm would basically scale, too - so 1kh/s in 199x's theoretical Bitcoin would earn the same as 1GH/s in 201x's Bitcoin.

Bitcoin doesn't become more secure based on hashpower, but based on how expensive it is to buy a % of the network hashpower. At its heart, though, Bitcoin's really secured by technological advancements in solving BTC's problems being made available publicly. BTC's been really lucky so far to see a relatively smooth transition from CPUs to GPUs to FPGAs to true ASICs without someone quietly developing the hardware and software behind closed doors and suddenly annihilating the Bitcoin network. That kind of scorched Earth attack would require a lot of remedial work on the devs' parts, rapid response by the network's infrastructure facilitators, and strong public awareness of a HUGE failure in Bitcoin. The network may be unusable for days or weeks, and it'd probably involve a ton of reversed transactions. In the same way the Bitcoin network is secured by honest nodes and miners making up the vast majority of service, it's also essential the network be secured by the vast majority of involved designers and developers being honest and open.

uhh... and on-topic @ OP Q (sorry - drinking night): I agree with D&T. It's kind of like asking if the ICBM could've been invented in the 20's. I can't think of a reason it absolutely couldn't (but there probably are some unsolvable problems not obvious), but it'd take many more stretches of the imagination to go from what they had to what they could do. The infrastructure was mostly there back then. DSL and cable Internet connections were becoming commercially available about halfway through. There were encryption schemes which probably would've worked just as well (for their time). The low hard drive capacity may've crippled growth without some type of hardcore pruning system, though (if BTC used MD5, how much smaller would current blockchain be?). Hard drive reliability back then would've been a much more significant problem than now, too. Maybe a 1997-1999 launch would theoretically work if "Satoshi" was about 10x as intelligent and made all the necessary foundational advancements himself. Much earlier, though, and there's probably too much missing to make it work.
BaronMcG

Activity: 22

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:37:52 AM

Could you imagine trying to download an 8gb Blockchain on dialup internet?   Undecided

yeah by the time you where done broadband would be the norm.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: