Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:36:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EDIT - Nevermind. [I found out a method how you can double your mh/sec]  (Read 1115 times)
Redditor (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:25:44 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2011, 11:56:54 PM by Redditor

[EDIT] Nevermind, read below, I was being premature with this post.

No, this is not a scam. I am afraid for my life, because this could perhaps destabilize bitcoin, or stabilize it more, I don't know, I'm sure there are people with tons of bitcoins and they could probably get me or something. That's why I just registered this account and I'm posting over TOR. Please don't try to track me down. Please. I have a loving wife and am a family man. Sad

Again, no, this is not a scam. I just fiddled with my miner and my mh/sec jumped by around 85%. No, no 0.85%, 8.5% or whatever, but by almost double - 85%. I don't get any more stales (rejects) than usual.

I'm now thinking about what to do with my sweaty fingers. I obviously cannot provide any proof because I can only post before/after screenshots and those can be doctored.

Should I release this into public domain? If I do, everyone will have their hashrate almost doubled by tomorrow. What would be the consequences of that?

I need to talk to someone. Please, tell me what to do.

I know what you think - I would probably think the same too: "This Redditor is full of shit". I would really like to be full of shit. Well, ok, not really, since now I earn 85% more. For now. Anyway.

Again, this is not a scam. I won't reveal my methods but no, they don't involve modding your gpu or flashing a bios or whatever, it's just a simple miner change (thankfully the miner is open source) but probably overlooked by many.

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nasakioto

Activity: 172
Merit: 283

Thomas Nasakioto

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 11:29:49 PM

"Hey, I have this great thing to make tons of bitcoins but ya know... I don't know what to do with!"

I like this guy Wink

Thomas Nasakioto - Upgrade to Ixcoin 0.3.24.3 before block 43,000
Ixcoin.org
sublimnl

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:30:03 PM

You found a mass conspiracy in all the miners - even the open source ones - people just don't bother checking the source code.

I am assuming you are referring to the line "slowDownMiningBy(85);" where 85 is the variable you change to slow things down. I would certainly be fearful of your life. That's serious business. I am only bringing it up because you did first. They can't kill us all!
Redditor (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:33:10 PM

"Hey, I have this great thing to make tons of bitcoins but ya know... I don't know what to do with!"

I like this guy Wink

Hm, okay. You don't believe me - I wouldn't believe me myself. Seriously, I'm not trying to sell it or anything, I'm just wondering what to do.

Okay, suppose this - suppose I don't really have a method to do that. But imagine for a second if I did. What should I do? Any comments would be more than helpful. Thanks.

You found a mass conspiracy in all the miners - even the open source ones - people just don't bother checking the source code.

I am assuming you are referring to the line "slowDownMiningBy(85);" where 85 is the variable you change to slow things down. I would certainly be fearful of your life. That's serious business. I am only bringing it up because you did first. They can't kill us all!

Haha, very funny. No. I'm actually a long-time programmer and have found the change after tinkering about with Phoenix.
willphase

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:34:24 PM

...or you've found a pool that doesn't verify the hash of submitted shares.

Will

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:35:17 PM

This scammer should be banned IMO

INB4BAN

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 11:35:48 PM

Does it actually increase the amount of hashes really performed or just increase the number displayed without actually properly doing the work?  There are plenty of ways to do the latter, they just won't double the yield.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:37:40 PM

You should mine faster than anyone else; enjoy the extra cash and ... keep quiet about your magic pixie powered GPU.

Even if what you said were true, what difference would it make?  Who cares?  Hash rate would increase, difficulty would adjust.  It certainly wouldn't be something that would make you fear for your life.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
Redditor (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:39:37 PM

...or you've found a pool that doesn't verify the hash of submitted shares.

Will

Can you name a pool that does verify the hash so I can register there and confirm my method generates valid shares?

Does it actually increase the amount of hashes really performed or just increase the number displayed without actually properly doing the work?  There are plenty of ways to do the latter, they just won't double the yield.
Well it says Accepted for each share. I don't know how to make Phoenix verify it any more than it is verified right now. Also my pool seems to accept the shares.

You should mine faster than anyone else; enjoy the extra cash and ... keep quiet about your magic pixie powered GPU.

Even if what you said were true, what difference would it make?  Who cares?  Hash rate would increase, difficulty would adjust.  It certainly wouldn't be something that would make you fear for your life.

Haha, thanks. Well, I'm really paranoid about this. I don't know why. Of course everything will be okay after a while, but for now I might disturb some people in certain ways. I don't know. That's why I opened this topic.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

[edit] Nevermind, I was being premature. It was indeed an error in my ways - it only sped up under certain conditions so overall this is basically an insignificant speed upgrade. Sorry everyone.
Woosh, I'm relieved now. I really thought I was on to something. Well, at least no more death paranoia. Smiley
willphase

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:44:46 PM

Can you name a pool that does verify the hash so I can register there and confirm my method generates valid shares?

All pools verify the hash, or else you could just submit as many nonces as you like - most pools run pushpool.

Will

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 11:49:08 PM

The test is whether you generate shares faster. The MHash/sec number displayed is just eye candy. I can change the code to display THash/sec instead if I want. But if you can convince the pool that you generated more shares, then you have something. Time how long it takes to generate a fixed number of shares (at least 10) with and without your change.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Redditor (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:53:25 PM

The test is whether you generate shares faster. The MHash/sec number displayed is just eye candy. I can change the code to display THash/sec instead if I want. But if you can convince the pool that you generated more shares, then you have something. Time how long it takes to generate a fixed number of shares (at least 10) with and without your change.

Yeah, that's how I figured out that it didn't really generate any more accepted shares than the nonmodified miner. Well, I hope I'll learn something from this - never go public premature. Smiley

Again, sorry for all the commotion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: