Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:13:46 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Ubuntu 13.04 and mining  (Read 794 times)
joyman (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:01:52 AM

Hello guys. When I updated to new Ubuntu 13.04 and set it up for mining - had to compile cgminer, coz the precompiled had some old library and there were errors. And it was mining great and I use putty to connect to it and byobu to keep the cgminer session every time I log in. But there is the problem - the machine is used as a file and local web server and there are two printers attached to it. One of them is a scanner too and we use the GUI to scan documents, but the gui is messed up. Unity is gone, there is just blank desktop, shortcuts work though - Ctrl+Alt+T open terminal and I can start whatever app I like, but there is no Alt+Tab between the windows and I need to close every active one and it is pretty uncomfortable. The xorg.conf I think it is ok - the two cards are there, and the second screen is RightOf the first one, I guess this is default. I guess it is something to do with the kernel and unity and I ditched unity and put gnome 3, so far so good - there is screen, menus, but all windows are gray and nothing is visible on them. I searched a lot in google and didn't find anything useful. Preinstallation is my last resort, coz it was a lot of configuring cron jobs for backup, web server, databases and so long. Thanks in advance.
gkos

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:17:08 AM

Do you get a running desktop manager at all? Or do you have just pure X?

I guess one of the things you can do is to install GNOME or KDE and try using them as your desktop manager. See if it works for you.
Then you can decide on the further course of action, and what to do in order to restore functionality of Unity desktop interface
joyman (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 06:46:10 PM

No, no desktop manager, got like a background and working right click menu on it, thats it. I tried installing Gnome and it was not functioning properly either. Then I tried to update for the last Gnome using community PPA and the result is no desktop at all Smiley I guess reinstall is my only option now. But this time I am not sure I will go with Ubuntu.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: