Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:07:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fake Wallet Removed From the App Store - How do you avoid getting scammed?  (Read 240 times)
aalfadhala (OP)

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

Hey!

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2017, 01:35:09 PM

Hi all!
Its been a great week for the bulls!

So I came across this headline: Fake Wallet Removed From the App Store, but not Before Reaching #3.

"The problem with the digital age is that it has opened up a whole new wave of scams, some of which are hard to spot. When you wrap a scam up in cryptocurrency, a world that prides itself on anonymity, it becomes even harder. The latest scam to hit the headlines has been a fake version of MyEtherWallet, which has been so successful that it reached number 3 on the App Store charts on December 11th, before Apple took it down."

More: https://coinblip.com/blog/fake-wallet-removed-app-store-not-reaching-3/

So what do you think is the best way to avoid such scams?

Learn Cryptocurrency on Coinlu
Svelto

Activity: 686
Merit: 257

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 02:55:47 PM

To avoid such scams, avoid using such new wallets, websites, exchanges and etc.

It is always better to use the official wallet, paper wallet and hardware wallet.
1969Dave

Activity: 116

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 03:08:22 PM

It still is a great time for the bulls, look at the altcoins! Cryptocurrencies will be mainstream next year, guess what happens then. Thank you for the tip with regard to the fake wallet.

Caesar-Giulius

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 03:59:45 PM

Scams are everywhere. Always research about the services before using it. It has been discussed and recommended many times to use a wallet you have full control. I agree it is convenient to use an app but it is also risky at the same time.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████▀██████████████
█████████▄▄      ▀▀██▀╜  ▀▀███████████
████████████▄       ██   ▀^╓▀█████████
██████████████      ║█    ,▀██████████
█████████████▄▄      █▌   ████████████
████████████████▄     ▀█▄  ███████████
████████████████▀,,,    ╙▀▀█▀ ████████
█████████████████▀▀▀█▄▄       ████████
███████████████▀     ▀███████▀████████
██████████████▌       ▐█* ▀▓▀ ████████
████████████*██▄     ▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄████████
██████████▀`  ▀██▄   ▀████████████████
████████▀`  ▄█████▌   ╙███████████████
████████▄,   ▀████ ,,,  "▀▀███████████
██████████,,,,, ╙█▄███▄▄,,,,╙▀████████
L B X.

■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■
The London Block Exchange
■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■

WDownload OnW
[.
          ▄▄█▀
         ███▀
   ▄▄▄▄  ▀  ▄▄▄▄
 ▄███████▄██████▌
▐██████████████▌
███████████████
▐██████████████▌
 ███████████████▌
  ██████████████▌
   ▀████▀▀▀████▀
/      ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▐
     ▄█▀████▀█▄
    ▐██████████▌
 ▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
 ▀▀ ████████████ ▀▀
    ▀██████████▀
      ▐██  ██▌
      ▐██  ██▌
]

icanscript

Merit: 502

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:02:44 PM

In the modern world, control over information and the security of the use of digital goods, are becoming more relevant.
The assortment of digital goods is so great that it becomes difficult to make a decision about their purchase. There are need for "channels of trust", branding and other marketing tools so as not to fall for fraud.
CodyAlfaridzi

Activity: 1708
Merit: 541

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:16:52 PM

Well, it's easy. Only download anything from the reliable sources.: by clicking the link given on the official sites. Don't get rushed, stay calm and vigilant, verify everything. @article, wtf does MyEtherWallet even has an app? This is so simple yet people are still falling for it. I just don't understand why phishing is still popular these days.
stephenv26

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:23:42 PM

Please be careful people. There are still fake wallet on google playstore.
Turkish88

Activity: 714
Merit: 104

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:31:21 PM

Google play and appstore most scammable place.
I recommend download apk files from dev web site and install manually, for apple users i recommend buy droid ))

Help to Ukrainian citizens
ETH donations adress - 0xe23CB47AC32F0b8750d4D0Dd4e160Fa6F8fF30EF
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:34:52 PM

]So what do you think is the best way to avoid such scams? [/b]

it is a bit harder for mobile wallets because you can not verify the signature of the file that you download.
with a desktop wallet you just have to make sure the PGP public key really belongs to the real author then it is impossible to fake it. and if you trust the author then all is well.

in case of a mobile wallet all you can do is to visit the original website (like electrum.org) then get the real link to the download page from there.
then look at the feedback of it and also check who is the person who released it. that way you reduce the risk of downloading a fake wallet.

There is a FOMO brewing...
ahmad21

Activity: 672
Merit: 271

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:37:01 PM

Frankly speaking its nothing you can do to get such protection. Just use only reputed wallets and do remember to download them from the official websites and links. Don't even trust app stores or any third party sites. Never ever share your private key in a third party wallet. Except these precautions there is nothing you can do. Hackers and phishers are going to any extent for stealing funds.
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:39:03 PM

Poloniex have also posted a notice recently about fake poloniex app being circulated on play store.
WARNING: There's an impostor Poloniex app in the Google Play Store. Do not use this; it may be malicious. There is no official Poloniex app.Posted by VenomGhost at 2017-12-11 15:36:34

People are picking convenience over security of their cryptocoins these days, they want easy way to store their bitcoin and other alts and start to trust any wallet app they will see on play store.
Wicked17

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:43:58 PM

Scammers are always there when money is involved! always remember that. We need to be cautious as always with our move. Do not risk yourself into something new, get yourself having information. Your coins wallet will be totally safe if you are always being careful with your act.

Maveth13

Activity: 336
Merit: 112

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:48:38 PM

The best way is to only rely on news from the developers or from the official websites of these wallets or exchanges. These websites would most probably provide playstore links or direct download links if ever they make an app.
LyQaN

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:49:26 PM

ya , the digital age has brought benefits,but it has bring a lot of ways to fraud too,regarding not being getting scam is not that complex task as it seems ,you just need to be more careful about what you are entering into. always trust  things that have been there and have established themselves, read about the company wallet or whatever it is as much as you can on internet before you apply in same, never rush into things ,and don't let greed of money ,benefits or services by other to fool read their policies,company hierarchy, and you are good to go.

▄▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
            ▄▄▓▓▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓
          ▄▓▓░░░░░▄▄████████▄▄░░░░░░▓▓
        ▄▓▀░░░░██████████████████▄░░░▓▓▌
       ▓▓░░░▄██████████████████████▄░░░▓▓▄
      ▓░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░▓▄
     ▓▓░░░████████████████████████████▌░░░▓
    ▐▓░░░▓████████████░░░░░████████████░░░▓▓
    ▓▓░░░█████████████▓████▓███████████▌░░▐▓
    ▓▓░░░█████████████▓████████████████▌░░▐▓
    ▐▓░░░▓████████████▓░██░████████████░░░▓█
     ▓▓░░░████████████▓░██████████████▌░░░▓▌
      ▓▓░░░███████████▓██████████████▀░░░█▌
       ▓▓░░░░█████████▓▄███████████░░░░█▀
        ▓▓░░░░░██████████████████▀░░░░▓█
          ▓▓░░░░░░▀██████████▀▀░░░░░▓█▀
            ▀▓▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓█▀
                ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███ BRIDGING MARKETS ███
AN ALL INCLUSIVE ECOSYSTEM
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██  Social Media  ██
██▄███████████████████▄
██████████████████████▌
██████████████████████▌
████████████     █▀███▌
███   █████        ▐██▌
███               ▐███▌
███               ████▌
████             █████▌
█████▄▄         ██████▌
████         ▄████████▌
██████████████████████▌
██████████████████████▌
▄▓█████████████████████▓▓▄
▓██████████████████████████▌
███████████████████▓▓▀  ▓██▌
██████████████▓▀▀       ▓██▌
████████▓▀▀      ▄█    ▐███▌
███▓▀        ▄▄▓▀      ▓███▌
███▓▄▄▄   ▄▓█▓         ████▌
████████▓ ▓▌          ▓████▌
█████████▓    ▄       █████▌
██████████▌ ▄▓██▓▄   ▐█████▌
███████████████████▓▓██████▌
▐██████████████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██
sirkings0003

Activity: 252

Telegram: https://t.me/ViolaAI

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 05:34:10 PM

This is really scarely. I guess the most affected people are the new joiners to cryptocurrency. It is actually easier to use app when transacting on the internet. I think people should always do some due diligence before investing in any new field of investment.
It is really heart breaking.

If you have any family member or friend that wants to invest in crypto, kindly let the person know the dangers. if possible guide the individual to avoid him/her being a meat for scammers.

LOVE on the Blockchain (Viola.AI): Telegram: https://t.me/ViolaAI | Website: http://bit.ly/Viola-AI-BitCoinTalk | Watch the CEO: http://bit.ly/MessagefromCEO | http://bit.ly/MessagefromCEO-CN
Olena9797

Activity: 448

https://auditchain.com

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 05:38:02 PM

I created the cold wallet. Its the best way to keep your monyey safe. And everytime be sure that you checked your links double. Yoy exchanges, your adresses, everything. A lot of mirrirs now

Cryptalking

Activity: 120

Riding Whales to the Moon!

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2017, 05:40:07 PM

damn that is some crazy stuff, i guess you cant indeed trust nothing these days, you would think apps downloaded from the app store are all verified and real but i guess not. Thats why i never use things i dont know especially crypto wallets. Always use known wallets and exchanges  Angry

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord   ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
uszaty43

Activity: 849
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 05:42:51 PM

This is very critical, if no one regulates the app store for bitcoin/altcoin wallets everyone who knows how to code will create a scammy wallet.

We need to react right now, if i am not wrong, i got an email from Poloniex, or i do not remember if it was on the website. But they had a fake wallet on Apple Store too.

This is very serious, specially for those who does not even know how to manage their desktop wallets.

The latest scam to hit the headlines has been a fake version of MyEtherWallet, which has been so successful that it reached number 3 on the App Store

But there is nothing new about seeing my ether wallet being pished, lmao.
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 06:07:44 PM

Hi all!
Its been a great week for the bulls!

So I came across this headline: Fake Wallet Removed From the App Store, but not Before Reaching #3.

"The problem with the digital age is that it has opened up a whole new wave of scams, some of which are hard to spot. When you wrap a scam up in cryptocurrency, a world that prides itself on anonymity, it becomes even harder. The latest scam to hit the headlines has been a fake version of MyEtherWallet, which has been so successful that it reached number 3 on the App Store charts on December 11th, before Apple took it down."

More: https://coinblip.com/blog/fake-wallet-removed-app-store-not-reaching-3/

So what do you think is the best way to avoid such scams?

Most times the reason why people get scammed is really not about the level of smartness of the perpetrator but its largely sue to the greediness of the victim or the ignorance or laziness of the victim which can be avoided. In the case of this, I would say its largely due to ignorance or laziness to ascertain the source of the app before downloading the application which I am sure a simple search on Google would have come with several experiences of people who have fallen prey of such act.

I really dont blame Apple because they have a lot of people and issues to deal with which sometimes the complaints might be regarded as an attack on the project, the verification of the source and several reviews would take time. Although, I think they should have done more in due diligence before even listing it in the first place but that does not stop individuals from being responsible for their own security.
d1ceplayer

Merit: 277

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 07:23:45 AM

Please be careful people. There are still fake wallet on google playstore.
Bitcoin is the currency of the future and hope one day it replace all regular currencies for buying and selling of goods in daily life. It is getting worthy because of its demand in the market. More investors are getting in to bitcoin due to the high profit they get. More hackers are trying to grab bitcoin by illegal methods so yes one should be aware of scams and be careful about his wallet
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: