Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:10:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shouldn't a warning about the feature of account selling be posted here?  (Read 1775 times)
FeedbackLoop (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 03:49:54 PM

If it is a feature and if it facilitates scamming, then it should definitely be announced here in a sticky and not hidden in meta.

Posted here and not in meta for the same reason. I only discovered this recently while bumping into the sold accounts both in the fake raffle here and the scammer forum. It should be made more visible here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GrapeApe

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 04:56:03 PM

I'm not trying to sound offensive but what are you talking about?
FeedbackLoop (OP)

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 05:11:29 PM

Not offended. Maybe I misunderstood something but I am talking about this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251943.0

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 05:34:50 PM

Not offended. Maybe I misunderstood something but I am talking about this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251943.0

boah! please! Now we have one OP complaining about a post he didn't link with an answer with a link to a thread without a link again! What do you smoke???

"I read that shooting my neighbor is now perfectly legal. Please explain, why! I'm seriously shocked!"

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
RoadToHell

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 05:49:04 PM

Here is one thread that has info about this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=242335.0

There are several others.  The forum's search function isn't too good.  But if you google the 3 terms bitcointalk.org selling accounts you will find others.

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
BitTrade

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 07:13:21 PM

This activity needs to be banned.  The ability to buy/sell accounts made the 4th of July scam possible.  He puchased a reputable account, and convinced everyone (including mods) that he was trustworthy, only to send out hundreds of scam phising messages disguised as a bitcoin giveaway. Many forum members suffered as a result of the permitting of buying / selling accounts.  

Permitting this activity is done at the expense of eliminating all traces of trust and reputation from the community.  

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 07:30:11 PM

Here is one thread that has info about this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=242335.0

There are several others.  The forum's search function isn't too good.  But if you google the 3 terms bitcointalk.org selling accounts you will find others.

Most likely google will find you anything but complaining about something and leaving it to the readers to google it really sux. If I take the time to rise awareness of some subject, I should also take the time to at least provide one link backing my point.
What is the forum officials/theymos' point on that? Where does he state his point? Why is it a problem?
Sure, google can find that but I got lost an hour on the meta forum reading other stuff thanx to this unspecific post.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 07:48:35 PM

So we understand the problem which is that people are selling accounts and therefore the trust that comes along with those accounts. 

So then, how can we fix the problem?  Does anybody have any proposals?  I'm not sure it's even possible to stop this activity.  Look at world of warcraft, where buying and selling accounts is explicitly banned and getting caught doing it will get your character deleted.  Yet hundreds of accounts are still bought and sold everyday.

So what's the solution?  Is there a technical one, or even a social one?  I'm not sure.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 08:50:47 PM

So we understand the problem which is that people are selling accounts and therefore the trust that comes along with those accounts.  

So then, how can we fix the problem?  Does anybody have any proposals?  I'm not sure it's even possible to stop this activity.  Look at world of warcraft, where buying and selling accounts is explicitly banned and getting caught doing it will get your character deleted.  Yet hundreds of accounts are still bought and sold everyday.

So what's the solution?  Is there a technical one, or even a social one?  I'm not sure.

Is it against the terms and conditions of this forum to buy or sell accounts?

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:05:56 PM

I'd say a warning should be put up, but most people probably wouldn't read it.  There's info posted about the newbie posting restrictions, but we still have people constantly asking about that.
glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:40:08 PM

So then, how can we fix the problem?  Does anybody have any proposals?  I'm not sure it's even possible to stop this activity.  Look at world of warcraft, where buying and selling accounts is explicitly banned and getting caught doing it will get your character deleted.  Yet hundreds of accounts are still bought and sold everyday.

So what's the solution?  Is there a technical one, or even a social one?  I'm not sure.

Even if we make it against the terms and conditions, people will still do it, just like with World of Warcraft accounts.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:43:21 PM

Even if we make it against the terms and conditions, people will still do it, just like with World of Warcraft accounts.

I guess that means that it is not against the terms and conditions.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:44:05 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2013, 09:59:26 PM by TradeFortress

BTCTalkAccounts will stop soon, I'm sure about that.
CoinsForTech

Activity: 698

5% Bitcoin Discount - All Orders

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 12:42:33 AM

This activity needs to be banned.  The ability to buy/sell accounts made the 4th of July scam possible.  He puchased a reputable account, and convinced everyone (including mods) that he was trustworthy, only to send out hundreds of scam phising messages disguised as a bitcoin giveaway. Many forum members suffered as a result of the permitting of buying / selling accounts.  

Permitting this activity is done at the expense of eliminating all traces of trust and reputation from the community.  

Could not agree more. Needs to be stopped ASAP.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 12:54:35 AM

Exactly.  Banning BTCTalkAccounts will not be the end of account selling.  Discourage it, flat out ban users suspected of trading or using sold accounts, but if people want aged accounts, they'll get them, for whatever purpose they want.  An account is not a hard identity, it is simply a username and a password, and we would all be wiser to remember this.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:01:39 AM

Exactly.  Banning BTCTalkAccounts will not be the end of account selling.  Discourage it, flat out ban users suspected of trading or using sold accounts, but if people want aged accounts, they'll get them, for whatever purpose they want.  An account is not a hard identity, it is simply a username and a password, and we would all be wiser to remember this.

Right. A ban on account trading would be only a slight inconvenience to account traders, but it would be a reduction in freedom and it would create a false sense of security. I'd prefer people to always be on guard and assume that every account may be sold/compromised at any time.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:06:28 AM

One easy way to stop scams with alt accounts is to simply make that unprofitable. Make alt accounts and sell them to the account traders that use them to scam, phish, and spread misinformation. Follow what the accounts are used for and you'll find plenty of trails left.
scotaloo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:16:19 AM

One easy way to stop scams with alt accounts is to simply make that unprofitable. Make alt accounts and sell them to the account traders that use them to scam, phish, and spread misinformation. Follow what the accounts are used for and you'll find plenty of trails left.

I gotta say, that was nice work bro! How did you convince that hacker guy to do it? How did you even find him! Seriously, I hadn't got a lot of respect for you up until now but that was real detective work right there! I'd offer you a job but I'm sure you'd say no.

I'm sending you a tip for that one, that was the first impressive thing you've done so far everything else was just lulzy, we knew you were involved somehow which is why we did that with the account and not anything important, but still good job!

Actually if you don't want the tip ask Atruk for a BTC address and I'll give him back the 0.04BTC.

Now I can't wait to see the mega thread! This should be interesting.

(Mods this is not an admission of guilt this is a private joke, this account is for important announcements from our organization so please do not hammer it).
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:24:25 AM

(Mods this is not an admission of guilt this is a private joke, this account is for important announcements from our organization so please do not hammer it).

Please just ban him for ban evasion already, otherwise what's the point of banning people in the first place? If he wants to post an "important announcement" then he'll have to use up another alt.
scotaloo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:25:26 AM

Please just ban him for ban evasion already, otherwise what's the point of banning people in the first place? If he wants to post an "important announcement" then he'll have to use up another alt.

I'm refunding people, starting with Atruk, ask him to send us an address and we will refund him the BTC no lie.

If you guys ban my account I won't be able to refund people, give me the address you will see TF already knows I moved some BTC today, that was for refunding certain people that shouldnt have been scammed, like EarthVPN and Atruk.

If you ban this account I promise you I will never return a single BTC and not a fuck will be given ever.

(again, this is a parody and not real)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: