Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:28:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea how to solve the too many forks issue  (Read 153 times)
ogibg (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 02:37:00 PM

Hello Smiley It's my first post here, after long time read-only mode, because I finally have something meaningful to say. I have an idea that can possibly stop the trend of forking BTC so often. If you don't agree that having this many forks is annoying, you can still read this post, it's about having even more forks.  What if we build a server that automatically spins multiple forks of BTC at every single block Smiley This way it will be known beforehand that there are already at least 20 slightly different forks off every block, and adding more forks like the recent and upcoming ones will be a lot less attractive.

I'm a coder, and by making a small team with other supporters we can pull this off. We can make the backend that spins forks at each block, and mine a little bit on each. We could also make a website for exchanging those coins if someone else wanted to mine them, or whatever they're doing with those forked altcoins.

Please share some thoughts, I personally feel this might work and get rid of the fork mania.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16609

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2017, 08:55:54 PM

What if we build a server that automatically spins multiple forks of BTC at every single block Smiley
A fork is more than just a block, a fork is a chain that continues.

This way it will be known beforehand that there are already at least 20 slightly different forks off every block, and adding more forks like the recent and upcoming ones will be a lot less attractive.
You can't create and maintain thousands of new forks per day.

Please share some thoughts, I personally feel this might work and get rid of the fork mania.
A fork is only worth something if people want it. To have value, it's hyped. Your million new forks per year won't catch any attention, so they'll only exist on your own server.

Some history: First, there was Bitcoin, then we got altcoins/shitcoins, then mainly scam ICOs running on code is law forkcoin Ethereum, now we have Bitcoin forks.
I've been wondering for a while what the next money maker would be, and I came up with this: forks based on blocks in the past! Think about it: until now, all forks are anounced and hyped weeks or months ahead, to gain momentum. Wouldn't it be a genius step to just fork from block 100,000 or 400,000? It's like hitting a reset button on blockchain, and you continue from there again!
Suppose you just sold all your Bitcoins at block 444,444: you create a fork at block 444,443, and you own all your coins again on a new chain! Hype it, and sell them again.

On a more serious note: I expect the number of forks to increase, it's an easy money maker. Fork > premine > profit!
What we need to stop this madness, is a scaling solution for the real Bitcoin.

ogibg (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 09:22:06 PM

Thanks for your input, much appreciated! Disclaimer: I don't want to make any profit out of this, I just want to help the BTC community to focus on the real stuff instead of trying to sell or even buy all the meaningless forks that rely on marketing to get some percentage of BTC's value.

If there is an automated system that forks on every bitcoin block, it would show the world how wasteful is the whole fork obsession. All the forks that we witnessed and the upcoming ones boils down to riding the Bitcoin brand, and taking it's history for faster initial distribution. Some tweak the mining algo, some have premine, but what's common in all of them is that the team behind it just want to grab a quick buck off something hollow.

Imagine how ridiculous it would be for the next team that plans on getting rich by tweaking couple parameters and putting up a web page that announces "the next bitcoin". Anybody would be able to just post a link to the proposed service, and say "Guess what dude, there's already a fork just like yours, planned for the same block, no need to announce anything".

There's some considerable work to be put into such service, and will require a lot of server power but it's totally doable, and the cost would be negligible compared to the losses of all scammed people that buy into the heavily marketed "next bitcoins". Here's how I image it working: let's say there it is hosted on website called unfork.com or whatever. Then it'll have a subdomain for every forked coin, say bch435676.unfork.com would be a coin that has the properties of bitcoin cash with history starting at block 435676, or btg477659.unfork.com is bitcoin gold on block 477659. There will be a downloadable wallet, online wallet, all the usual tools. The server will randomly mine on the forks so some blocks are added slowly over time. All forked coins will be mineable, and even exchangeable only between similar coins on the same website.

What you say about scaling bitcoin is true, but it is not the reason behind the recent fork explosion. It's purely people trying to scam the public by marketing.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2145

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 12:00:50 AM

Forks are irrelevant, experienced users and big investors are ignoring them because they have zero value - they don't have any serious developer teams, so basically they are the same shitcoins as some coins from rank 100+ on coinmarketcap. Newbies tend to think that they can pose some threat to BTC, that they are driving resources from the community, but in reality they are just tools for a few miners and BTC owners to get some quick money by selling their fresh shitcoins to bigger fools. If you want to fight you should just stop giving them any publicity.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
stryker

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 12:40:48 AM

To allocate each fork into a separate block is impossible, unfortunately. Forks are created because of the appearance of alternative versions of the data transfer algorithm itself.
ogibg (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:25:55 AM

To allocate each fork into a separate block is impossible, unfortunately. Forks are created because of the appearance of alternative versions of the data transfer algorithm itself.

The auto forks will reuse the replay protection of the already existing forks (cash, gold, etc). There will be an automated build system that produces wallets from the source trees of the said forks, just changing the initial block. Then the wallet will be launched on the server, and start mining slowly. A subdomain will point to a landing page with download links for the wallet and other instructions. The changes to the existing forks sources will be: initial block for replay protection, multiplexing over the same TCP port (so we can run infinite number of forks), and a funny autogenerated name.

It's just the ultimate mockery of the scam forking efforts. Basically automating the process that those "teams" are already doing manually.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: