Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:16:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on new pc  (Read 131 times)
easypeasy (OP)

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 10:13:39 PM

Hi folks, I'm hoping to buy a new pc for mining primarily but will also be used for occasional gaming/staking coins and hosting a masternode... is all that even possible on one pc??

Failing that then i will settle on a decent mining machine first and foremost

i will be using either www.scan.co.uk or www.aria.co.uk, both reputable uk based retailers who accept btc

Thanks very much for any pointers folks

Edit ....... looking to spend between £850 to £1200, or would buy 2 pcs/laptops if around £500 to £700
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 12:00:28 AM

Hi folks, I'm hoping to buy a new pc for mining primarily but will also be used for occasional gaming/staking coins and hosting a masternode... is all that even possible on one pc??

i will be using either www.scan.co.uk or www.aria.co.uk, both reputable uk based retailers who accept btc

Edit ....... looking to spend between £850 to £1200, or would buy 2 pcs/laptops if around £500 to £700

neither 2 pc's nor laptops are a good choice, build yourself a dedicated mining rig and do it the right way. using a laptop is just a horribly dumb idea as youll kill those faster than youll get your money back. and the pcs why would gpus in a case that's got super poor ventilation and torture the gpus like that? come on have some common sense that said instead of wasting everyone time and posting a mostly useless thread, had you of actually spent time looking through this very forum you would have found a plethora of more than enough information to answer your very noob questions

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 12:18:04 AM

neither 2 pc's nor laptops are a good choice, build yourself a dedicated mining rig and do it the right way. using a laptop is just a horribly dumb idea as youll kill those faster than youll get your money back. and the pcs why would gpus in a case that's got super poor ventilation and torture the gpus like that? come on have some common sense that said instead of wasting everyone time and posting a mostly useless thread, had you of actually spent time looking through this very forum you would have found a plethora of more than enough information to answer your very noob questions

Also if at all possible I would pay with regular money.  I would hate to spend hard earned BTC as you might be better just holding it (can't say for sure though).   But for sure ditch laptop idea and go desktop. 

I think a gaming desktop does not align with mining computer if trying to get best bang for your buck.  I mean you can cut CPU/Ram spending by just mining, even thumb drive with simpleOS instead of ssd.   All that saved money can go to more GPU's.   And also cooling I like open air machines vs gaming desktop tend to be in a case in my opinion harder to cool.
IT_AEX

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:46:43 AM

Well, taking the electricity costs out of the equation, my first recommendation would be to buy a motherboard with the most amount of PCI-E available., I'd advise ASROCK H110 PRO BTC+
Then, take a look into which GPU's you will get and the amount of PSU's you will require so you can plan accordingly, I'd go for RX 570 or Nvidia 1060.

If you cant afford to buy all the rig at once dont worry, just buy the motherboard and 1 or 2 GPU's, as soon as you have more money start filling it.
Moondoggie

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 02:04:25 AM

A 1080ti pc will do some good mining.
easypeasy (OP)

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 06:56:34 AM

Thanks to all for your words of advice and pointers

I have been reading up on matter just not 100% sure which way to go

Thanks
tenebriscaelum

Activity: 462
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 07:27:54 AM

If you will be in mining with the rig that you will be buying I would suggest that it will only be used for mining instead and just buy a dedicated rig for gaming if you make profit in mining. Sure you can play games while you mine however you would need to put one of your GPUs to gaming and that will decease your hash rate also it might be a burden to you rig depending on the intensity of the games you play because one of your GPU will run hotter than the rest. Also do not buy laptops for mining even if you will have the best gaming laptop out there you will just burn it out mining 24/7 remember laptops and gaming laptops does not have a good cooling solution along with a good power delivery like a PSU.
GraciousBanshee47

Activity: 79

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 07:53:32 AM

I think buying 2 PC for mining is not a good idea. First, it cannot mine much compared to a mining hardware. Secondly, it will not be cost efficient you might end up paying all of your mined coins for the electricity. Just buy a dedicated mining hardware such as antminer s9.
Ihlan

Activity: 25

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 09:38:38 AM

A 1080ti recommended for mining
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: