Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:16:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CBOE Futures Frozen for 2minutes on 10% drop. Is wall street ready for bitcoin?  (Read 126 times)
LetEpsilonBe (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 10:55:37 PM
Last edit: December 14, 2017, 02:24:39 AM by LetEpsilonBe

According to CNBC, CBOE bitcoin futures were frozen on a 10% change. 10% change in bitcoin is not at all new or interesting.

https://www.c[Suspicious link removed]m/2017/12/13/bitcoin-futures-briefly-halted-after-plunging-10-percent.html

Is wallstreet ready for bitcoin if this is how they react to a 10% change in price?

* edit to fix link
KylesmomisaB

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

Toplancer.co | PreSale is LIVE | Get Your Bonus

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:33:45 PM

Weird link dude I think you messed up in posting it but yeah that is quite funny actually Cheesy. They are in for a wild ride when the 20% days come about soon hopefully their platform can handle that action Cheesy.

TOPLANCER.CO
Zero commission, Escrow payment & Dispute Settlements
PreSale GET YOUR BONUS JOIN NOW
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:45:17 PM

According to CNBC CBOE bitcoin futures were frozen on a 10% change. 10% change in bitcoin is not at all new or interesting.

Is wallstreet ready for bitcoin if this is how they react to a 10% change in price?

This is completely normal for CBOE futures markets. Like many regulated markets, the CBOE has price limits and trading halts built into the contract specifications.

Basically, if the price moves 10% beyond the prior day's closing price (in either direction), trading is halted for 2 minutes. If the price moves 20% in a day, then trading gets halted for 5 minutes. These are known circuit breakers that are intended to cut down on trading volatility.

This doesn't mean that Wall Street isn't ready for Bitcoin. This is just how regulated markets work.

949miner

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Stake & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:48:40 PM

So it means that they are prepared for almost everything, they took the control of almost all the scenarios to make sure that they will never lose money, that's great! For them of course.

Basically, if the price moves 10% beyond the prior day's closing price (in either direction), trading is halted for 2 minutes. If the price moves 20% in a day, then trading gets halted for 5 minutes.

Are there "real" people putting money on those futures? or at least, people with a tiny knowledge about investments?

If i had a friend who told me that he was going to invest in bitcoin futures, i would probably punch him in the face because that is the worst thing that you can tell to a crypto lover, lmao.

`^cder.         
          '-`ryRQQ#@@#O}-      
       .)ydi`!]PQQ#@@@@@#d}!   
  `:'`rU9660ZL:')TZ@@@@@@####O)
  `lVx<,:xWg@@@#g)iQB##@@##@@@M
  `lVcyWRBsy@@Q8Z*iQQQQB##@@@@M
  `x|G#@@@m)T<:<v~iB##@@#QQB#@M
     `)I$#m,-' `>]ZB#@@@#QQQB#3
  .>LKlxxxx_`<YUaKOQQQB#BB####P
:V5MMMTx^=*` .~xeaOQQg$RB@@@##P
 .<}ab*' .QQK\_`;<YMRO66B@@@@B}
     .`  .Q#@#Q3v`rcvvY3B#Mx_  
         .OKx*rxv`x66OX]=`     
               .!`xRdyr,       
                  !<'

IoTeX

▬▬INTERNET OF TRUSTED THINGS▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬BECOME A MEMBER TODAY▬▬▬▬.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
██████  █████████████████████
███     █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██  
  ▐██▌                      
   █▌

TWITTER
MEDIUM
REDDIT
TELEGRAM
FORUM
BITCOINTALK
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:57:05 PM

So it means that they are prepared for almost everything, they took the control of almost all the scenarios to make sure that they will never lose money, that's great! For them of course.

Trading halts might temporarily reduce volatility, but that would only be true if the underlying spot market followed the CBOE futures market. By all observations, it appears to be the reverse: the futures market follows the spot market, with minor exceptions.

Are there "real" people putting money on those futures? or at least, people with a tiny knowledge about investments?

Yeah, I believe both institutional firms/hedge funds and Main Street investors have access to the market, as it's available through most major broker-dealers. In general, I would guess that the people trading regulated futures generally understand markets and may be hedging operational exposure (i.e. not trading to profit but to hedge). Whether they understand Bitcoin is another matter entirely....

LetEpsilonBe (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 02:27:38 AM

Weird link dude I think you messed up in posting it but yeah that is quite funny actually Cheesy.

Something keeps messing up the link i post it should be to CNBC (which i think is a good site, but the mods can correct me if i am wrong).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: