Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:09:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: is someone hacking my avalon's ip?  (Read 1175 times)
Bitconian (OP)

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:16:10 PM

Hi there,

I got an Avalon batch # 2 and I set it up with 50btc and slush, on failover mode.

Everything was fine until today...... for no reason, it started mining in both at the same time. I checked my mode and it was still on failover, not balance.

I turned it off and on a few times and again, start mining in both pools.

after hours like that, it came back to normal....just mining into 1 pool.

what did it happen???

My configuration of workers still are the same, but I was wondering, if it is possible that someone has entered in my avalon's ip and reconfigured it so it can mine for them too?

how can I know if anybody is accessing to my ip? or to my avalon?

thans

You can make me smile Smiley
1GEUEBTm6XfRuqAswrR6LbofnMq6VN5A5P
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pixl8tr

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:24:24 PM

Are you behind a firewall?   I guess its possible for some backdoor code to be present.  I don't have an Avalon so I am not 100% sure how they are set up.  I would suggest that if you are not behind a firewall, to get one.  Also if you can reset the configuration to factory defaults?  That may help.

"Unleash the conspiracy theorists" Cool

who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; finger; bjobs; uptime; strip;. grab; mount; yes; umount; sleep; brun;
Donations: 18ByQvDUmaMKkQbYvUWmnPSu9BWeNxVMoc
ujka

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:26:30 PM

First thing - have your unit(s) behind the firewall. Right?
Bitconian (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 11:16:37 PM

err...... I think so...   I'm using the one that comes with Windows 7

but I'm bet you will reprimand me for that....any recommendation?

Also, if I download a firewall....wouldn't it be for the computer??? the avalon connects by cable directly to the router. The computer can be turned off. So, how can I add a firewall to the avalon?

thanks!

fiktionist

Activity: 72

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 11:20:55 PM

err...... I think so...   I'm using the one that comes with Windows 7

do you have any router connected to your pc/avalon?

liked that post? Official BeerAdress: 12Q9d7tntiQXARjpVSRKnQhzJy4MoAaonL
Tehfiend

Activity: 491
Merit: 514

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 11:57:01 PM

I actually had a similar issue today. After several weeks of flawless operation, one of my 2 Avalons started mining in both pools for around 12 hours even though it's set to fail over. The 2nd pool seems to have gotten around 15% of the hashrate during that time. The main pool reported a LOT of duplicate shares during that time and it seems to have returned to normal operation after 12 hours on it's own. Still looking into it...
Bitconian (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 12:25:51 AM

do you have any router connected to your pc/avalon?

Yes, I got a router and from that, 2 lan cables...one to my pc and one to my avalon

AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 12:32:03 AM

I would say it was probably a connection issue. Maybe the connection to pool 1 was slowed ( due to an issue with the pool server, network traffic, etc) and as a result the mining software reported some shares to pool 2.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:05:17 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 02:24:30 AM by Bogart

I'd say your primary pool probably had some downtime or connectivity issues, or your internets did.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
webjoe

Activity: 82

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:22:30 AM

Also, if I download a firewall....wouldn't it be for the computer??? the avalon connects by cable directly to the router. The computer can be turned off. So, how can I add a firewall to the avalon?

thanks!

If your Avalons are connected directly to the network, you can generally configure your router to only accept incoming connections to something safe like only port 80.  Here's a *really* basic intro to this:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-set-up-a-router-with-a-firewall.html

Obviously, it depends on your router model/type, but most modern routers even for consumer use has some kind of firewall feature.

I use the ZyXel firewall device which is more of a prosumer'ish firewall on my home network because I'm slightly paranoid, but not crazy enough to spend the thousands of dollars I use at my office that our head of IT implements for work. 

BTC: 1P77ekpQigu2HfiB67wNhzmMmEvZFkE2jv | KNCMiner Neptune 20nm 3TH/S for $10K in Q1/Q2 2014
ujka

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:14:02 AM

thanks!
Firewall on a computer protects only that computer.
Avalon is connected to the router, so you must setup (configure) a firewal rules on your router.
If you (your computer(s) and Avalon) are using private IP range (192.168.x.x), then you already are behind a firewall.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: