Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:05:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does mining hurt a computer, video card, or any other equipment  (Read 129 times)
slickskin (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:12:14 AM

Hi, I'm obviously new to mining.

I'm wondering if it decreases the life or damages equipment assuming I'm using a prebuilt pc with something along the lines of a gtx 1060 or 1070 video card.

Is it possible to use the computer for other tasks while mining? I assume not since all the energy would be going right towards the mining.

Also, how does mining work using one or more graphics cards in a rig but without a whole computer? Is it possible to mine using a rig with GPUS that's not attached to a computer some how? Again sorry if these are all dumb questions, I'm just new in need of assistance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
I.Grozni

Activity: 588
Merit: 286

Coinomi multi-coin HD wallet

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:39:00 AM

I'm wondering if it decreases the life or damages equipment assuming I'm using a prebuilt pc with something along the lines of a gtx 1060 or 1070 video card.

Is it possible to use the computer for other tasks while mining? I assume not since all the energy would be going right towards the mining.

Also, how does mining work using one or more graphics cards in a rig but without a whole computer? Is it possible to mine using a rig with GPUS that's not attached to a computer some how? Again sorry if these are all dumb questions, I'm just new in need of assistance.

Your questions are ok, but first you had to find out if someone had already asked the same questions and received the answers. It's best to start here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=39.0
Moondoggie

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:44:09 AM

Unless you put too much power through it, or let it run too hot, you should be fine.

With my 1080ti, I can do simple things like watch a movie, or browse the internet.

The cards need to be attached, use 1x - 16x risers. Then in the .bat file you can specify which cards you want to mine on and which you don't.
yugyug

Activity: 616
Merit: 256

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 03:34:00 AM

Mining altcoins do not damage computer if properly set-up and well configured. If mining on CPU only might be damaged the  computer but with multiple GPUs used for mining it lessens the load of CPU but with extra precaution and well maintained GPUs it will prolong the life of a GPU mining hardware.
greatfariola

Activity: 69
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 03:54:40 AM

The answer is yes, when mining your computers processor or gpu is at work at its possibly can to maximize the hash power it can generate. You will notice that the fan is a bit noisy than its usual. If you have a hardware monitor, you'll see that the processor or the gpu is more hot than the usual temperature.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 04:17:51 AM

When you say decrease the life compared to what? my mining equipments last over the years without fail, it already passed 1yr suppliers warranty, and I think could go more than 3 yrs. When compared to Idled equipment, It is obviously has shorter life as you are using it in FULL Load 24x7.

Yes this is possible

There options on the miner to specify which card will be used in mining.
greatfariola

Activity: 69
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 04:27:52 AM

I don't think it will be a good option to limit the hash power of your GPU. The more capacity it uses the more coins you can mine. It is better to let your computer only do the mining than to let it multi-task.
vuli

Activity: 233
Merit: 100

Andrius | Junior Business developer at Unboxed ICO

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 06:01:18 AM

PSU is the 1st factor here, if you dont do calculations right or you buy cheap psu. You can mine with cheaper psu but expect it to die faster.
GPU, yes it can happen gpus die in the proces of mining, especialy if they are running to hot for a long time. COOLING!!

Unboxed - rowing community of people getting paid to do what they love to get a share of the $36 billion brands are spending annually on Facebook Ads
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: