Bitcoin Forum
April 22, 2024, 11:49:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius - eu balances, current problems, the future of the pool  (Read 2140 times)
mg101 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 03:35:10 AM

OK, there are probably quite a few Eligius users in a similar position to me.

I was getting close to 0.33 payout threshold on s3 before the current woes, and still have just under 0.5 tied up with the .eu issue, so I'm short about 0.8 btc right now and starting to wonder if I'll ever see anything from this. Outstanding eu balances were to be transferred thurs, now when we find a block, only it's been days and no block found - probably due to poor uptime. Just how much btc is this guy sitting on?

Eligius is/was my pool of choice due to its simplicity and artefact2's work but currently my GPUs are pointed elsewhere, and as much as I like Eligius, I am not sure I'll go back. I expect that by now many of Eligius' miners are happily working away for Slush or whoever, getting their rewards, and they too will need some convincing to go back.

The way I see it, Luke should send ALL outstanding balances from both eu and s3 immediately. Yes this may have to be done manually and be time consuming, but something has to be done to restore the community's faith in the pool.

When the pool comes back up I will probably point a few m/h at it, see how reliable it is and reassess from there.

What will you do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 01:55:26 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2011, 02:14:37 PM by Luke-Jr

I was getting close to 0.33 payout threshold on s3 before the current woes, and still have just under 0.5 tied up with the .eu issue, so I'm short about 0.8 btc right now and starting to wonder if I'll ever see anything from this. Outstanding eu balances were to be transferred thurs, now when we find a block, only it's been days and no block found - probably due to poor uptime. Just how much btc is this guy sitting on?
I will disclose that there is presently a total of 311 BTC worth of rewards on Eligius-3 balances.

US/EU have been paid in full, and no longer have any balances to speak of. The final payout transaction from EU is still yet to appear in the block chain, but I have setup a bitcoind which has no purpose other than to rebroadcast it until it does-- at least Eligius-3 is willing to put it into a block. If anyone else wants to help us out in this crisis, the transaction id is 1c19389b0461f0901d8eace260764691926a5636c74bd8a3cc68db08dbbeb80a (you will need to addnode mining.eligius.st to see the broadcast)

Eligius is/was my pool of choice due to its simplicity and artefact2's work but currently my GPUs are pointed elsewhere, and as much as I like Eligius, I am not sure I'll go back. I expect that by now many of Eligius' miners are happily working away for Slush or whoever, getting their rewards, and they too will need some convincing to go back.
Inevitably, it is a miner's choice where they mine. Hopefully people will reconsider when this is all resolved, given that the problems as of late were quite beyond anyone's control (hardware failure), and many people reported earning much more on Eligius than any other pool. On top of that, we do have some lucrative features, including Artefact2's very nice stats. Finally, please remember that Eligius still is, and always has been, clearly labeled as experimental, and I intend to leave it that way until I am personally comfortable with the long-term stability of the codebase.

The way I see it, Luke should send ALL outstanding balances from both eu and s3 immediately. Yes this may have to be done manually and be time consuming, but something has to be done to restore the community's faith in the pool.
EU was sent last Friday, and there's little I can do to get it confirmed with my measley 306 MH/s at this point. Eligius-3 is still online and looking for blocks. So long as it is online, the balances on it are still volatile and not really suitable for a final payout.

When the pool comes back up I will probably point a few m/h at it, see how reliable it is and reassess from there.
Any testing, no matter how little, is appreciated, and I will do my best to ensure gets rewarded properly.

Thanks for your patience. Hopefully this will all be behind us soon.

twmz

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 01:18:42 PM

The pool found a block and the EU payment transaction was included:

http://blockexplorer.com/tx/1c19389b0461f0901d8eace260764691926a5636c74bd8a3cc68db08dbbeb80a

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.
moomoocow

Activity: 18

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 02:22:35 PM

One thing this has highlighted is how a lot of people here have no idea how Bitcoin actually works.  It's not always an instantaneous transaction such that even if the btc were sent, it might not arrive in a timely manner when transaction fees are not paid.
anodyne

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 02:49:52 PM

How are balances on S3 planned to be paid out, by the way? Fitting previous overhead back into generation payments would work in a theoretical world of perfect averages, but I don't think reality will be that kind to theory.

Personally I have enough bitcoin that I don't have to worry if I get my mining rewards back in the next block or next month, so it doesn't bother me much that several blocks have passed since my reward passed the threshold and that I now have several times that amount outstanding, but I think many will be more comfortable with having a somewhat more defined (or at least less obscure) payment schedule.

Bitcoins: solid enough to build pyramids.
gentakin

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 03:06:44 PM

How are balances on S3 planned to be paid out, by the way? Fitting previous overhead back into generation payments would work in a theoretical world of perfect averages, but I don't think reality will be that kind to theory.

It was the same for eligius-EU and eligius-US. Sure, backlogs will occur. Keep in mind the small pool fee and transaction fees that should help to reduce backlogs, as they are not added to any account balances, but can still be used for payout. If backlogs are growing too large, I'm sure Luke can set up a few manual non-generation transactions.

I'm not sure which accounts are chosen for payout if more than 50.xx BTC are to be paid out.

1HNjbHnpu7S3UUNMF6J9yWTD597LgtUCxb
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:13:18 PM

I'm not sure which accounts are chosen for payout if more than 50.xx BTC are to be paid out.
It keeps track of, and sorts by the age of the oldest unpaid coin. So whoever's been waiting the longest gets their payout first.

mg101 (OP)

Activity: 23

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 03:42:03 AM

eu balance received, thanks Smiley

have a miner pointed at the eligius, hoping things are back to normal
all going well I will point the rest of my m/h back at the pool soon

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 04:06:28 AM

Things are NOT back to normal. The machine has a failing hard drive. You can mine while it works, but at your own risk!

josell

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 02:57:13 AM

What means CDF percent?
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:47:41 AM

What means CDF percent?
Probability that we would find a block in that many shares. ie, 50% CDF = 50% chance we found a block by now

josell

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 04:25:14 AM

What means CDF percent?
Probability that we would find a block in that many shares. ie, 50% CDF = 50% chance we found a block by now
Thank you! I didn't know. It's good to have that stat data.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: