Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:54:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Purposely offering your own goods in someone elses thread...  (Read 913 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 01:39:46 AM

Like this guy: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=257813.0

I think it should come with a temporary ban, it just totally undermines the whole point of having threads. Why don't we just all post in one giant list? If its allowed to get out of hand, we might as well just say byebye to trading here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:45:26 AM

There are, for the most part, no rules on politeness here. BTCTalk is firmly opposed to optimism.

Need to make self moderated with this guy around.
You gave yourself good advice.  Smiley
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 01:51:53 AM

Stuff like that is off topic and not allowed, we will delete and take further action if that isn't enough.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:54:29 AM

Stuff like that is off topic and not allowed, we will delete and take further action if that isn't enough.
OOo. I was wrong, but I think the posts (well - his first reply, anyway) were clearly on-topic. It's a thread about selling a particular item. Someone else is willing to sell the particular item cheaper.

Would it be off-topic for someone to post in a thread displaying "[WTB] X-AT9280m 10BTC" that they'd purchase the same unit for 10.1BTC?

(ETA: just in case of mis-communication, I'm pleasantly surprised by what you did, BB)
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:55:54 AM

oh boo fuckin hoo you big crybaby twat. if someone wants to sell cheaper then you do we really need 500 threads for the same fucking item?

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 02:00:40 AM

Thanks admin. There is a really wonderful trading post here, surprising for forums. I hope it stays that way Smiley

oh boo fuckin hoo you big crybaby twat. if someone wants to sell cheaper then you do we really need 500 threads for the same fucking item?

...that's one for the ignore list.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 05:06:43 AM

OOo. I was wrong, but I think the posts (well - his first reply, anyway) were clearly on-topic. It's a thread about selling a particular item. Someone else is willing to sell the particular item cheaper.

Would it be off-topic for someone to post in a thread displaying "[WTB] X-AT9280m 10BTC" that they'd purchase the same unit for 10.1BTC?

(ETA: just in case of mis-communication, I'm pleasantly surprised by what you did, BB)

Meh, I wouldn't allow, for example, MT Gox to advertise in a Campbx thread, why not extend the same courtesy to individuals?

As for your hypothetical, that's a good question. Technically it would be, going by my interpretation, I don't know if I'd moderate it or not though.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 11:12:58 AM

This is why it's always a good idea to set up your own website that others can't spam or hijack, I don't think bans are necessary but I can understand why it would be annoying.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:47:46 AM

Meh, I always delete thread crapping when I see it. Keep your advertising to your own thread here, making a thread is free for God's sake.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 11:59:47 AM

I think it is important to allow people to post competition in other people's threads.
Such free speech and free competition is exactly the sort if thing that enourages the market to be efficient.

It's a brilliant micro case study as to why people should be allowed to do things that are considered rude.
Another example would be standing outside a shop and poaching customers. It appears unfair but actually it is fair if the shop is free to do the same thing back to the poachers.

Being liberal on this is more efficient as it requires no action.
Being liberal also encourages the price to come down, better for consumers. And finally, it's a more efficient market.

In my culture I think it's rude but anglophone countries are particularly territorial and the UK is particularly territorial too. You wouldn't get the same opinion in Romania and probably many other countries (China) so you have to bear that in mind. They would say it's fair game.... no wonder those countries are on the way up.

edit: of course the disadvantage of a separate thread is that people are less likely to find that separate thread so it's worse for the consumer to have that and better to have a free-for-all.
Speak to a shop owner and he might say he's in favor of liberal business... but start poaching customers and all of a sudden capitalism seems to be a bad thing. That's the problem with people, it's all good when it's going there way but then when someone else starts doing the same they want special dispensations. 

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1042

👻

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 12:00:44 PM

Standing outside a shop would be making your own thread.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 12:27:56 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 07:19:39 PM by malevolent

And this is why people should be starting self-moderated threads when offering goods or services.

I think it is important to allow people to post competition in other people's threads.
Such free speech and free competition is exactly the sort if thing that enourages the market to be efficient.

A competitor offering his goods or services in a thread of his rival is also off-topic.

Signature space available for rent.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 07:05:46 PM

Standing outside a shop would be making your own thread.

Agreed. What is happening here is someone standing IN my shop, ramming his goods in my buyer's faces as they try to buy. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UeJzUzmFnQ

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 07:33:02 PM

It's a brilliant micro case study as to why people should be allowed to do things that are considered rude.
Another example would be standing outside a shop and poaching customers. It appears unfair but actually it is fair if the shop is free to do the same thing back to the poachers.

Being liberal on this is more efficient as it requires no action.
Being liberal also encourages the price to come down, better for consumers. And finally, it's a more efficient market.

In my culture I think it's rude but anglophone countries are particularly territorial and the UK is particularly territorial too. You wouldn't get the same opinion in Romania and probably many other countries (China) so you have to bear that in mind. They would say it's fair game.... no wonder those countries are on the way up.

edit: of course the disadvantage of a separate thread is that people are less likely to find that separate thread so it's worse for the consumer to have that and better to have a free-for-all.
Speak to a shop owner and he might say he's in favor of liberal business... but start poaching customers and all of a sudden capitalism seems to be a bad thing. That's the problem with people, it's all good when it's going there way but then when someone else starts doing the same they want special dispensations. 

I've seen what threads look like without moderation of that stuff, it isn't pretty. I think you underestimate the amount of spam there would be if it was allowed. Different threads is good enough.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 08:17:50 PM

You do realise we're all buyers and sellers here? And how is it a more efficient market when as a seller you don't have a clue who is offering on YOUR goods, at what price, spread across 20 threads. As a buyer you don't know what the hell is sold or not as you can't lock or close your own thread, and spammers aren't going to undo their spam chain.

r3wt

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:20:28 PM

You do realise we're all buyers and sellers here? And how is it a more efficient market when as a seller you don't have a clue who is offering on YOUR goods, at what price, spread across 20 threads. As a buyer you don't know what the hell is sold or not as you can't lock or close your own thread, and spammers aren't going to undo their spam chain.

well you do got a point, but i'm not sure I can see why this warrants yet another thread. Just pm a mod next time and handle it in private. that simple

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 08:21:29 PM

well you do got a point, not sure why this warrants yet another thread.
Because there was a specific case that needed cleaning and I needed confirmation of the mod position

r3wt

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:22:37 PM

well you do got a point, not sure why this warrants yet another thread.
Because there was a specific case that needed cleaning and I needed confirmation of the mod position

so maybe just pm the mods next time?

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:58:45 PM

snip

And along came the libertarian with his private-property ideals Cheesy

What you're advocating sounds something like a bazaar, where people are crowded into one place and try to speak louder than the next guy who's selling the same thing.  Except in this case, one guy set up shop, and someone else came into his shop and started advertising his own product--and wouldn't you know it, the guy in his shop has undercut the competition!  Along came a third guy who undercut both and he's offering his product at a perpetual 5% off what those other two schmucks are offering.  The guy who set up shop doesn't like it and asks the two to leave his personal space.  I think he should have the right to set up his own shop and have a fair shot at having one-on-one attention with potential customers, rather than consistently battling the two guys who pushed him out of the way to do their own business in his own shop.  Of course, if someone is looking for, say, gold, he might scan the board to see if there are any obvious threads selling gold.  Otherwise he might use the search function and find threads explicitly about gold.  There's no reason to cram all the gold-sellers (and people who are selling gold-based products, at that) into several related threads, as this creates a lot of redundancy (or what might commonly be referred to as spam.)  Since each gold seller has their own shop, and are simply running around yelling "My stuff's better!" at every other shop, what you have in the end is a big mess.

One thread with one seller with the various products he is selling is much more preferable to me, the guy who doesn't want to shift through several user-created advertisements before finding the guy who said, "Well he's a great seller and didn't scam me" or "No he's a terrible scammer don't buy"; in other words, irrelevancy to the thread is what I don't like.  The one advertisement by OP is just fine; when SirSpamsalot feels the need to post in every single thread ever created multiple times about his loosely-related product, I begin to think there's an issue.  Though I like the idea of experimenting to find the truth of the matter, I do not believe this is a new idea, and we already know what happens when users are encouraged to advertise willy nilly on every thread they find.  Though I am all for freedom of speech, there's a certain point between practicing that, and being a general nuisance--if spambots should not be allowed freedom to spam, I don't see what difference it makes when a person does it, since most people still don't like spam.  I'm certain that many of us agree that, yes, we like our threads to be exclusively ours (just as many people prefer their partners to be exclusive, despite those who enjoy misogyny), and it is for this reason why we would encourage a certain standard; however, if most of us agreed that cross-thread advertising was a legitimate way of doing business, then I'm certain that's what we all would be doing already.  I believe it's clear what users of this forum prefer.

So, it boils down to this: if the owner of a thread says, "Sure come on in and advertise all you'd like!", there should be no discrepancy as to whether or not it's okay to spam that thread; since the OP and the spammers are happy, it's a win-win.  Otherwise, if not mentioned, it is generally assumed that the OP does not want spam, so please don't do it.

krudkeeper

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hodl regularly and often!

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:58:00 PM

Wow you have a lot of free time on your ahnds

🆙
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: