Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:55:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best thing to hold cards that are on pci extender cables?  (Read 4743 times)
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 04:31:24 AM

I'm thinking about purchasing some extender cables to keep my cards from being bunched up.  I've seen people with some wierd ways of holding their cards up (threads, twist ties).  I was wondering if there is some sort of little simple stand that they can be placed on. 

Please point me to the direction.

If not I'll invent one and have some chinese people make them in sweatshops for .001 btc a day.  No not really but you can if you want.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chick

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 05:40:52 AM

I'm thinking about purchasing some extender cables to keep my cards from being bunched up.  I've seen people with some wierd ways of holding their cards up (threads, twist ties).  I was wondering if there is some sort of little simple stand that they can be placed on. 

If not I'll invent one and have some chinese people make them in sweatshops for .001 btc a day.  No not really but you can if you want.

I use a shoe stand from the rack section of Home Depot. The cards fit nicely between the slots, but be careful not to knock off one of the resistors as they line up perfectly with the metal rod and can easily be damaged.

IlbiStarz

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 05:44:32 AM

I use a shoe stand from the rack section of Home Depot. The cards fit nicely between the slots, but be careful not to knock off one of the resistors as they line up perfectly with the metal rod and can easily be damaged.

What cards are those? Are they doing okay on a 850w?
Chick

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 05:48:20 AM

I'm thinking about purchasing some extender cables to keep my cards from being bunched up.  I've seen people with some wierd ways of holding their cards up (threads, twist ties).  I was wondering if there is some sort of little simple stand that they can be placed on.  

If not I'll invent one and have some chinese people make them in sweatshops for .001 btc a day.  No not really but you can if you want.

5830s, they're doing great with a 850 watt psu, even the core overclocked to 960-1000mhz. It won't handle 5 overclocked though. Tongue

Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 05:50:51 AM

Wow thats perfect! Thanks so much
grod

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 06:24:56 AM

The first cat or small child to come along would destroy your mining operation.

I'm experimenting with 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum angle stock from Lowes.  8 feet of the stuff is about 15 bucks + tax.  The pieces can be easily bolted/riveted/tied together to make a cage of your desired dimensions. If it pans out I can order 24 foot segments (shipping is murder for small quantities) and mass manufacture 4 and 8 card cage kits to sell for bitcoins.

I'm experimenting with screwing the cards down on one end of the 'cage' and just letting them rest on a bit of padding on the back end.  Biggest danger so far is PCIe extenders falling off the cards, followed closely by cards ingesting cat hair.
minerX

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 06:39:09 AM

I'm experimenting with 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum angle stock from Lowes.  8 feet of the stuff is about 15 bucks + tax.  The pieces can be easily bolted/riveted/tied together to make a cage of your desired dimensions. If it pans out I can order 24 foot segments (shipping is murder for small quantities) and mass manufacture 4 and 8 card cage kits to sell for bitcoins.

I'm experimenting with screwing the cards down on one end of the 'cage' and just letting them rest on a bit of padding on the back end.  Biggest danger so far is PCIe extenders falling off the cards, followed closely by cards ingesting cat hair.

They are actually a lot more sturdy then they look.  Those extender cables are very stiff and tend to hold the cards fairly well.  If those cards were to dominoe to the side nothing would happen and they would keep mining.  It's possible a cable would pop off but no permanent damage.   I have 4 rigs setup similar to that and knocked them over a couple of times.   All is well.

And who the hell has random children + cats show up?? I sure as shit don't.
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 04:22:25 PM

lol I have a random 1 year old, but all the noise and fans keep him scared of my mining room.
joker

Activity: 38

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 07:46:56 PM

That's exactly what I did. I got aluminum angle stock from Lowes. Can't remember the exact dimensions but it was 6ft long. I got 3 pieces of it and some nut/bolts for $14 and some change. My setup is 16 inches wide, 13 inches deep and 9 inches tall. I have 3 5830s in it now but could easily add another 1 or maybe 2.

Here is a pic...

Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 07:52:43 PM

I'm thinking about purchasing some extender cables to keep my cards from being bunched up.  I've seen people with some wierd ways of holding their cards up (threads, twist ties).  I was wondering if there is some sort of little simple stand that they can be placed on.  

If not I'll invent one and have some chinese people make them in sweatshops for .001 btc a day.  No not really but you can if you want.

5830s, they're doing great with a 850 watt psu, even the core overclocked to 960-1000mhz. It won't handle 5 overclocked though. Tongue

Also running 4 5830's with the same psu...actually 2 rigs exactly like that...going strong after a month...I will say the 850w ones feel hotter than the 1000w psu...could just be design though...they seem fine.
BtcNmcMiner

Activity: 236

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:10:58 PM

You could screw a piece of meal or wood to the cards, running across all 4, just like they are mounted in a case and that would stop them from dominoing.

M!R△CLE TELE     BRINGING MAGIC TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY     JOIN US NOW!
▐▐   40% Biweekly Rewards     ▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬     Traffic from €0.01 worldwide   ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  Lightpaper  Bounty  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram   ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Fletch

Activity: 168

I'll have a steak sandwich and a... steak sandwich

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:19:23 PM

That's exactly what I did. I got aluminum angle stock from Lowes. Can't remember the exact dimensions but it was 6ft long. I got 3 pieces of it and some nut/bolts for $14 and some change. My setup is 16 inches wide, 13 inches deep and 9 inches tall. I have 3 5830s in it now but could easily add another 1 or maybe 2.

Here is a pic...

How are the cards fastened at the back? Or are they holding on for dear life using that one screw on top?

HashPeak - GPU mining hashrate peak detector
BTC: 1FLETCHvcUKosefrcZCLUQTtvx4WvgnYMC
joker

Activity: 38

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 09:33:52 PM

They are resting on a piece of aluminum. You might be able to see it better in this picture...

I just taped it in place while figuring out where I wanted the cards and decided that it held good enough to leave it taped with black electrical tape.
Fletch

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 09:46:11 PM

Aha. Now I see. Nifty.

Swishercutter

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 05:04:10 AM

They are resting on a piece of aluminum. You might be able to see it better in this picture...

I just taped it in place while figuring out where I wanted the cards and decided that it held good enough to leave it taped with black electrical tape.

Those Sapphires have a nifty hole in the back top of the board...great for small zip ties.
Fletch

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 12:38:10 PM

Ok, cool. One more question. What kind of extender cables are you using? It looks as if there are both 1x-to-16x and 16x-to-16x. Either way, where did you get them? I'm trying to locate cables in Sweden to allow me to plug in 4 video cards on an MSI 890FXA-GD70.

Swishercutter

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:54:16 PM

That's exactly what I did. I got aluminum angle stock from Lowes.

I went to a local metal supply store...20ft of the 1/2"x1/2" square aluminum tube was around $6 compared with Lowe's ~$6 for 3ft.  The 1/2"x1/2" L-angle stuff is good for mounting the cards to...square stuff is good for the framework.
m0w3r

Activity: 131

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 04:06:46 PM

Like that setup joker.  Looks pretty stable too - nice.
FreeJAC

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:09:36 PM

Those wire stands are also available at Wal-Mart. I found one in the housewares under $7.00 CAD.

Donate here.... 18NiDLDA3qRxkEPN36xrzsdSgvEkbDKgNr
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:50:56 PM

Also running 4 5830's with the same psu...actually 2 rigs exactly like that...going strong after a month...I will say the 850w ones feel hotter than the 1000w psu...could just be design though...they seem fine.

I'm running 4 5870s on an 850W, I ran them on a 750 for about 2 weeks while I waited for the 850 to come in. I woulda left it but the PSU got uncomfortably hot, and I'm a hardware wuss.

I like some of these setups, I think the cost for extenders would be worth me not continuing to go deaf (I have a bunch of sandwiched cards that would run at least 10% less fan speed if they were spaced), but sadly I have no tools for the aluminum. I'm considering the super ghetto shoe rack rig though, intriguing.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: