Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:14:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Transaction fee  (Read 238 times)
upekhaanthony (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 06:37:05 AM

Bitcoin transaction fee is very high. Can we transfer BTC by converting    to any ETH or smart contract based coin and then transfer ? is this profitable ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Alluro

Activity: 742
Merit: 19

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:08:30 AM

Yes it's better and you can use Litecoin too. Litecoin transaction fees are pretty cheap.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 07:12:02 AM

Like Alluro said, it can be done, however, you'd have to follow following steps:

1) open an account on a trusted exchange, generate a BTC deposit address
2) deposit BTC to the exchange... You'd still face a big tx fee when depositing your funds. The exchange might, or might not ask for a deposit fee
3) exchange BTC to an altcoin like ETH or LTC. The exchange allmost always asks for an exchange fee
4) withdraw your altcoin either directly to the receiver, or to your own altcoin wallet. You'll need to pay for a withdrawal fee which might or might not be higher than the actual miner's fee payed by the exchange

IF you want the altcoin to be converted back to BTC, you'll have to follow the procedure again, but now deposit the alt, exchange to btc and withdraw the btc.

As for your question wether it's profitable: it CAN be... If you're going to pay a lot of people, and they're accepting the altcoin in question, you might save a ton on transaction fees... Also, if the alt's price rises compared to BTC's price, you might be able to book a profit (keep in mind the relative price might also drop in comparison to bitcoins)... However, keep in mind that exchanging BTC to ALT's also costs extra transaction fees, deposit fees, withdrawal fees and exchange fees... So if those costs are higher than the potential profit, you're at a loss.
Also, exchanges can go bancrupt or turn scam pretty easily.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
gamerfan

Activity: 766
Merit: 501

BUY BITCOIN WITH PAYPAL AND CREDIT CARDS

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:33:40 AM

Bitcoin transaction fee is very high. Can we transfer BTC by converting    to any ETH or smart contract based coin and then transfer ? is this profitable ?

Yes, this is a well-known strategy which is done by many people. If you need to transfer your BTC from one exchange to another, instead of directly withdrawing BTC you can follow these steps:

1. Trade Bitcoin to another coin which has less fees (for example DOGE) on exchange #1
2. Withdraw DOGE from exchange #1 to exchange #2
3. Trade DOGE to BTC on exchange #2

You can save lots of money using this strategy instead of directly withdrawing Bitcoin.

upekhaanthony (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:34:10 AM

Like Alluro said, it can be done, however, you'd have to follow following steps:

1) open an account on a trusted exchange, generate a BTC deposit address
2) deposit BTC to the exchange... You'd still face a big tx fee when depositing your funds. The exchange might, or might not ask for a deposit fee
3) exchange BTC to an altcoin like ETH or LTC. The exchange allmost always asks for an exchange fee
4) withdraw your altcoin either directly to the receiver, or to your own altcoin wallet. You'll need to pay for a withdrawal fee which might or might not be higher than the actual miner's fee payed by the exchange

IF you want the altcoin to be converted back to BTC, you'll have to follow the procedure again, but now deposit the alt, exchange to btc and withdraw the btc.

As for your question wether it's profitable: it CAN be... If you're going to pay a lot of people, and they're accepting the altcoin in question, you might save a ton on transaction fees... Also, if the alt's price rises compared to BTC's price, you might be able to book a profit (keep in mind the relative price might also drop in comparison to bitcoins)... However, keep in mind that exchanging BTC to ALT's also costs extra transaction fees, deposit fees, withdrawal fees and exchange fees... So if those costs are higher than the potential profit, you're at a loss.
Also, exchanges can go bancrupt or turn scam pretty easily.

Very good explanation. Thank you very mcuh

lizardbtc

Activity: 448
Merit: 109

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:44:53 AM

Others already stated the solution I will point out why are fees high so you will be able to understand a bit more about bitcoin and cryptocurrency in general.

When you send transaction, broadcast it, to the network those transactions come to one place and just wait for the next pickups. These pickups come within 10minutes and are called blocks. Its like there is a crowd out there and they are all waiting for one bus - so if more people come they can't enter the same bus at the same time so some will have to wait for another bus. So the bust driver take in the people who pay the most so he can make selection and he drives people to the other destination.

So basically blocks are this bus over here - they have their limit of 1mb and can't pick all of the transactions (when transaction enters the block it shows as confirmed). Bus driver are miners - they do really tough work by giving their hash power to mine these blocks and since there are many transactions they will most likely pickup ones with higher fees. Imagining this you now can see that in order to get your transaction confirmed faster you have to put high fee which is really painful thb as network is acting slow and expensive. There was an upgrade that should make bitcoin more cheap and faster to use but not many have taken this approach as its new so it will take time specially for exchanges to implement it - its called Lighting Network SegWit, I won't tell you that this is good nor that it is bad upgrade but rather you can search more about it if interested.
samuel999

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

CSGOBetGuide.com - Esports Gambling List

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 08:50:34 AM

Yeah I myself am noticing that the transaction fees are super high! I don’t have very much bitcoin and trying to send smaller amounts ends up costing more then the amount im trying to send. Does coinbase let you convert to ETH?
pjhom

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 09:02:05 AM

Yeah I myself am noticing that the transaction fees are super high! I don’t have very much bitcoin and trying to send smaller amounts ends up costing more then the amount im trying to send. Does coinbase let you convert to ETH?

Yes - you can go from Eth to BTC to LTC.  If you have a coinbase account you can also have a GDAX account.  GDAX is the actual exchange for coinbase.  If you use the limit order function to make the purchase it will not cost you anything to make the exchange. 

If you are on another exchange that allows you to trade BTC to Doge, it is pretty common and inexpensive to move around.

You mention profitable - not sure what you mean by that, it will cost money everytime you move your crypto from one exchange to another.  If you trade back and forth, you have the possibility of increasing your stake.  But most day traders I think end up breaking even or losing money.  I buy, store safely, and hold.
Itsmylife

Activity: 1002
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 10:01:17 AM

I don't think it is profitable.
 If you use crypto exchange sites (like bittrex, poloniex, ...), You must pay two kinds of fees:
- The first: when exchange bitcoin to other coins.
- The second: when you made a withdrawal request.
The best way I know is exchanging bitcoin to USDT then transfer to others.

Collosus999

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 10:28:36 AM

Yes, this is a well-known strategy which is done by many people. If you need to transfer your BTC from one exchange to another, instead of directly withdrawing BTC you can follow these steps:

1. Trade Bitcoin to another coin which has less fees (for example DOGE) on exchange #1
2. Withdraw DOGE from exchange #1 to exchange #2
3. Trade DOGE to BTC on exchange #2

You can save lots of money using this strategy instead of directly withdrawing Bitcoin.

This is my take on it too.There are currencies which have no fee when converted to them, like dogecoin as you say, this is probably the most efficient way to do it at the moment, unless your dealing with a big chunk of bitcoin, then the hassle might outweigh the fees you pay.
tech72

Activity: 427
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 10:31:09 AM

Indeed it is a good idea if your transaction size is of like $20-30.

Buying Instagram followers from Zeru.com was a smart move. Real profiles, quick delivery, and an organic boost to my presence. Fantastic service, highly satisfied.
Zeru.com exceeded my expectations. Bought Instagram followers, and my profile skyrocketed. Genuine engagement, prompt delivery—best investment in my online presence.
Absolutely thrilled with Zeru.com. Purchased Instagram followers, and the results are phenomenal. Authentic growth, reliable service, and exceptional customer support. Highly recommend.
Zeru.com is a game-changer. Acquired Instagram followers, and my influence soared. Organic engagement, instant delivery, and excellent customer service. Truly satisfied with the results.
Zeru.com delivered real YouTube subscribers, skyrocketing my channel's success. Trustworthy, efficient, and effective. The best investment for content creators.
Incredible service from Zeru.com. The Instagram likes I purchased were delivered instantly, boosting my online presence. Highly recommended for influencers.
Phenomenal experience with Zeru.com. Bought YouTube views and witnessed instant growth. Authentic engagement, timely delivery, and top-notch customer service. Absolutely satisfied.
Zeru.com is a game-changer. Buying Twitter followers from them boosted my online presence. Authenticity, quick delivery, and stellar customer service – a winning combination for social media success.
Zeru.com delivers as promised. Facebook likes purchase led to enhanced visibility. Trustworthy, efficient, and a game-changer for anyone aiming to boost social media presence.
Zeru.com delivers as promised. Increased my Instagram views instantly. Quality service, quick results, and their team ensures satisfaction. A reliable choice.
Impressed with Zeru.com prompt service and genuine YouTube likes. Increased engagement and visibility have skyrocketed my channel's success. Highly recommend.
Buying Facebook followers from Zeru.com was a game-changer. Authentic profiles, quick delivery, and excellent customer support. Highly recommended for growth. 5/5 Stars rating.
Zeru.com exceeded my expectations. The TikTok followers I bought were high-quality, instantly elevating my content and giving my profile the attention it deserves.
Zeru.com delivers TikTok likes that matter. Genuine engagement, instant credibility, and a noticeable spike in my video views. An absolute game-changer.
Zeru.com
SocialMediaPanel.com is my trusted partner for social growth. Their SMM Panel, Social Media Panel, delivers authentic social media engagement, boosting my online presence effectively.
tungaw

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:02:12 AM

Can they have a fee that is adjustable to the price? I think they are earning because of the volatility but the basis is from way below the price maybe $100?
Trigzilog

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:03:53 AM

Too unfair..why are they not adjusting the fee? like in yobit  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed i need to learn to convert to other alts. many computations
Protazio

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:07:06 AM

There's a google which can we find about the comparison of the fees of different exchanges right? This does matter if you are going to buy just small amount. for big traders it's nothing
ManaMan

Merit: 38

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:11:23 AM

If you use crypto exchange sites (like bittrex, poloniex, ...), You must pay two kinds of fees:

Can you provide me with details how reliable is USDT because I hear to many shady things about their company. Since it is centralized they can "print more money" than they have - issue more tokens and also we have to trust them that they can give 1:1 ratio for dollar. Imagine if they had a 'security" breach or something similar where will it end up then. So please provide me more details about why do you trust them as I am uncertain if I ever wish to buy it and transfer value via them - there are to many concerns about it with bad reviews on the internet.
maddi

Activity: 49

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:12:53 AM

thats a good idea to convert to alts like dogecoin,
kawasaki5050

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 03:41:33 PM

If you want to transfer money with low fee and recommend that you should use Litecoin and it has smooth for transferring on its network
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 03:47:43 PM

Bitcoin transaction fee is very high. Can we transfer BTC by converting    to any ETH or smart contract based coin and then transfer ? is this profitable ?

It's extremely profitable actually. Lets say i want to send 50$ to X, and i have them stored on bittrex.

Bittrex charges a flat fee of 0.001BTC, which already is ~30% ontop of the amount i'm trying to sent.

So instead of doing that, i transfer BTC  to an altcoin, send the altcoin to a poloniex adress, reverse the altcoin to bitcoin, and make a BTC output on poloniex, where they only charge me 0.0001BTC == 3% of my transaction.

Bookmaker fees are 0.3%-0.2%, which is barely anything.

mayo2u

Activity: 325
Merit: 26

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 04:10:13 PM

Too unfair..why are they not adjusting the fee? like in yobit  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed i need to learn to convert to other alts. many computations

There is nothing unfair about this. This is the world you've entered. You cannot have both the advantages of cryptocurrencies AND the advantages of a government insured exchanges; you can't have the great growth that comes with a new disruptive technology AND the security and fine-tuned UX that comes with than an established industry.
rh154c0d3

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 01:51:41 AM

wow. i never thought about that. a simple great idea, it really surprised me that i never thought that strategy. I was thinking about it so many times about how big this bitcoin transaction fees. how can't I figured it out? I feel stupid right now really. thank you pal for your thread. It save my head from thinking bitcoin transaction fees.  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: