Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:11:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner Problems with the Canaan Avalon 741 - Please Help  (Read 220 times)
ridg236 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 06:46:31 AM

Forgive me if these are very "newbie" questions. I'm actually hoping they are because the result will be a very straightforward answer to ease my frustration, lol.

My primary issue is that I cannot access the AvalonMiner dashboard where I can enable settings on the controller and complete setup to actually start mining. This stems from the fact that every time I type in "192.168.0.100" in Google Chrome browser, I get the same result which is a 10-12 sec load time with an end result of "site cannot be reached"

I've tried updating my IP and DNS settings exactly as they're pictured in the setup guide directly from Canaan to no avail. Am I missing something here? It plagues me to no end to know that I'm this close to being able to mine but a network/ip/DNS issue is stopping me. I have 0% skill when it comes to this stuff so any help is appreciated.

Another related question is: I intend on using my laptop to route my Avalon controller to, but it only has 1 Ethernet port. Which of the following do I do?
- Route ethernet cable from controller to laptop and then simply connect to internet via WiFi with laptop
- Purchase some sort of splitter or extension so I can plug into Ethernet port and create 2 Ethernet ports, of which 1 would go to controller and the other would go to wall
- or.. Plug my computer into the ethernet port in wall and plug the controller into a different ethernet port in wall (would they both still be on "same network"?)

I'm really eager to get going guys and your help is very much appreciated!! I have 1 Canaan AvalonMiner 741 unit here and another on the way. I intend to get these kinks worked out before the other arrives in 1-2 days, so it will be smooth sailing from then on out Smiley Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cableiso

Activity: 244
Merit: 280

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:51:31 AM

The Avalon controller must be connected to your internet router through Ethernet cable.

If your local network is not using 192.168.1.x, for example many networks are set to 192.168.0.x then it won't be found.  You'll have to change your network setup to use 192.168.1.x for a while to configure it.  You can change it back later.

So your 741 controller will connect to the router with Ethernet cable, and your laptop will connect to your router through Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.  The router will allow them to talk to each other, and talk to the internet.  The 741 should not normally be connected directly to a PC.

If you only have one Ethernet connection in the wall (dorm??) Then you will need a router or Ethernet switch first.
nu1mlock

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:52:34 AM

You need to change the IP on your PC to 192.168.0.10. Do that and you will be able to access the Avalon on IP 192.168.0.100.

Use the built-in wifi on the Raspberry Pi, leave your laptop out of this.
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 12:00:34 PM

Follow this official guide, it has all the instructions for the process
https://canaan.io/question/how-do-i-connect-an-avalonminer-721-and-avalonminer-controller-including-raspberry-pi-1-2-and-3/

ridg236 (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 05:03:20 PM

The Avalon controller must be connected to your internet router through Ethernet cable.

If your local network is not using 192.168.1.x, for example many networks are set to 192.168.0.x then it won't be found.  You'll have to change your network setup to use 192.168.1.x for a while to configure it.  You can change it back later.

So your 741 controller will connect to the router with Ethernet cable, and your laptop will connect to your router through Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.  The router will allow them to talk to each other, and talk to the internet.  The 741 should not normally be connected directly to a PC.

If you only have one Ethernet connection in the wall (dorm??) Then you will need a router or Ethernet switch first.

The issue here with configuring the router/switch is that we're using this for my company (free electricity). The rig is to be used at my office that employs 20 people. ALL of their computers go through this switch. Hence me not wanting to change any settings on a router level. Is there any way just to change the computer settings only? I'm also confused because your post references 192.168.1.x as the correct setting but others have told me 192.168.0.x - which is correct and what do I enter as 'x'? Just any 1-3 digit number I wish?

Thanks!
ridg236 (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 05:09:31 PM

Use the built-in wifi on the Raspberry Pi, leave your laptop out of this.

Sorry, not sure what you mean by this?

To clarify, I'm using the actual Avalon Controller created by Canaan. I understand it's an RPI as well but I don't know anything about them..
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 08:10:02 PM

Maybe you find a friend with a basic level of networking knowledge to help you. The fact that these are extremely basic networking questions you are asking leads me to believe you may not have the IT aptitude to make this work on your own. If you are plugging into the work network and mess up the settings you could take down your coworkers computers on accident.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
cstreit911

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 10:30:58 PM

^ This is good advice.  The questions you're asking are tough to answer without writing a book on network configuration.  A techie friend should be able to sort you out in about 20 minutes.

If you're determined to do it yourself - here is what I suggest:

You can plug your laptop directly into the Controller with a lan cable.  Set your laptop or computer to use:

IP: 192.168.0.101
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS 114.114.114.114

https://canaan.io/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/C2--528x600.png

You should be use the controller interface.

THEN:  (...and only if you know how to re-write the controller flash card in case you mess this up)

Using the basic setup select DHCP networking.  Save and Apply.
Plug the controller into your network and restart it.
Use the command line console on the controller and login.  Type IFCONFIG
This is your controllers new IP address which you can use to access the console going forward.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: