Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:51:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is MTGOX running a ponzi scheme?  (Voting closed: August 17, 2013, 04:20:06 AM)
Yes - 31 (41.3%)
No - Just Back Logs - 10 (13.3%)
No - They're Just Incompetent - 34 (45.3%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGOX Ponzi?  (Read 2939 times)
Pangia (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 04:20:06 AM

So what are your thoughts folks?

Based on what we're seeing, the signs are there or maybe I'm just reading things incorrectly. But if all is well with MTGOX, why are people still having such extreme difficulties in withdrawing their funds?

I myself could not withdraw my funds from MTGOX. During the 2 week USD hiatus they claimed that withdrawal of other currencies would not be effected by the USD hiatus.  So in trying to outsmart them I opened a Euro account, sold some BTC's for Euro's and tried to withdraw the Euro's to my new Euro account. Guess what, NO LUCK!!!  Euro withdrawal didn't work either.

So in believing that MTGOX is in some deep troubles, I decided to take a lose and sell my BTC's on another exchange and withdraw my funds. The withdrawal through the other exchange went smoothly and the cash was in my US bank account in 3 business days.

Prior to selling on the other exchange and withdrawing, I was purchasing gold through Amagi Metals, before deciding to try out the other exchange.

Let me know what you think folks.

Best.

Pangia

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xypos

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 09:26:49 AM

No, otherwise they won't give bitcoins and instantly deliver them.
They are just incompetent.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 09:47:41 AM

In reality it is often hard to distinguish between a full Ponzi or just incompetence.  Maybe they just made some honest mistakes - then wanted to cover them and got even deeper into it and now don't know how to get out.
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 12:24:35 PM

A sufficiently advanced level of incompetence is indistinguishable from malice
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 12:28:12 PM

Waiting for my SEPA for over 2 months now.
Support doesn't respond.

I consider my money to be lost...
Pangia (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:04:49 PM

Waiting for my SEPA for over 2 months now.
Support doesn't respond.

I consider my money to be lost...

Hi Magnet,

If they do ever respond, my suggestion is to request a cancellation of the transfer, purchase BTC, transfer them to another exchange (BitStamp was the exchange I used, my account was verified one day after I opened it and once verified I did not have a withdrawal limit) and withdraw.

I would hit up MTGOX on their FaceBook page as well as their Twitter account to find out why they won't respond to your inquiries.

Good Luck.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:16:00 PM

I don't think it meets any definition of a ponzi. Maybe I'm missing something, in what way is it like a ponzi scheme?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:30:28 PM

They might have only partially covered reserves (= they have less funds than the total user balances) but this is NOT falling into the definition of a ponzi scheme (= paying interest from deposits of new/existing users instead of whatever else you claim to do).

Please get your definitions straight!

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
culexevilman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin is too valuable to be used as a currency

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 01:34:19 PM

I think that wells fargo account was not the only bank account they had, they LOST a lot of 1 and 0s on a computer server...
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:29:25 PM

My thoughts are lol @ you bunch retards, for not having been there when it was decided in April, for not knowing in May that it was decided in April, for not reading between the lines in March that it's going to be decided in April and for not having fucking read the plain text back in June about how you should stfu, disregard everything else and fucking revere what I say like the holy gospels.

That about sums it up.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:35:08 PM

I think FIAT is a Ponzi scheme. I voted "no" though because MTGox are incompetent and I don't feel they are intentionally scamming people.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 07:06:02 AM

In reality it is often hard to distinguish between a full Ponzi or just incompetence.  Maybe they just made some honest mistakes - then wanted to cover them and got even deeper into it and now don't know how to get out.
That's very likely. Brokers speculating with customer funds have destroyed major financial firms many times.  Drexel Burnham Lambert, Lehman Brothers, and recently, MF Global, all went bust for that reason.
zeroblock

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:58:13 PM

That's very likely. Brokers speculating with customer funds have destroyed major financial firms many times.  Drexel Burnham Lambert, Lehman Brothers, and recently, MF Global, all went bust for that reason.

And Gox has about 1/1,000,000 the level of "competency" even those firms had. 
OhShei8e
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1059

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:32:34 PM

Blind panic. As always. People will switch exchange. From bad to worse. And then they come back with the "I will never use ***" statement.   Wink
johnblaze

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 05:15:01 AM

My thoughts are lol @ you bunch retards, for not having been there when it was decided in April, for not knowing in May that it was decided in April, for not reading between the lines in March that it's going to be decided in April and for not having fucking read the plain text back in June about how you should stfu, disregard everything else and fucking revere what I say like the holy gospels.

That about sums it up.

what happened in April to cause this?
Pangia (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:42:21 AM

Wanted to give this a bump based on the current situation.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄

▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
cescan

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:17:15 AM

been waiting for my MTGOX Bitcoin withdrawal.

tompatomp

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 05:31:58 PM

Yes probably a ponzi scheme: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/10/mtgox-bitcoin-database-leaked-online-as-hackers-crowdsource-clues
renfr

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 05:43:35 PM

You registered just to spread FUD?
Oh my...

BTCBTC Defeat jihad, support Israel against terror - כל הכבוד לצה"ל BTCBTC
End the FED, end the fractional reserve banking, support Ron Paul.
techgeek

Activity: 826

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 07:02:39 AM

Mt Gox, had phantom deposits for at least a year manipulating the price $100 higher.

Also its not a suprise to most people on this forum, that Mt.Gox was failing unless people werent really reading on updates with peoples concerns.

They even had to sell personal data to off-set the company a bit. And thats barely helping them out.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: