Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 06:42:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: why MtGox and Intersango choose poland?  (Read 1809 times)
zhangweiwu (OP)

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 04:29:00 AM

I remember marveling at it by the year 2011, that there are two bitcoin markets operating in poland, one of them I can still remember being intersango, and now MtGox's bank account is in Poland again. Why all these market flock in Poland? Is it because it, despite being in eurozone, doesn't use EURO thus is less restrictive about transfers in EURO?

My (old) column about Bitcoin & China: http://bitcoinblog.de/tag/zhangweiwuengl/
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 04:42:19 AM

I remember marveling at it by the year 2011, that there are two bitcoin markets operating in poland, one of them I can still remember being intersango, and now MtGox's bank account is in Poland again. Why all these market flock in Poland? Is it because it, despite being in eurozone, doesn't use EURO thus is less restrictive about transfers in EURO?
I also would like to know the history behind Bitcoin in Poland. Back in the days Zloty were among the top bitcoin-traded currencies by volume. Even today, the volume is higher than, for example, Canadian dollars. At the same time, I don't hear much about Bitcoin-accepting merchants in Poland. Makes you wonder, right?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
zhangweiwu (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 09:53:58 AM

And a lot of mining machines are built in Poland too.

My (old) column about Bitcoin & China: http://bitcoinblog.de/tag/zhangweiwuengl/
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 12:27:23 PM

I also would like to know the history behind Bitcoin in Poland. Back in the days Zloty were among the top bitcoin-traded currencies by volume. Even today, the volume is higher than, for example, Canadian dollars. At the same time, I don't hear much about Bitcoin-accepting merchants in Poland. Makes you wonder, right?

mtgox bought an exchange that was based out of poland bitomat.pl, which got hacked a few yrs back
citboin

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 03:44:53 AM

They're the only ones dumb enough to sell bitcoin?  Tongue
zhangweiwu (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 08:53:22 AM

I think now I found the reason. Aamir, an important bitcoin developer, started Interstango with other people, and he is a Polish citizen. I found this too late. Now Intersango is not responding (support tickets and withdraw requests) any more (see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=414764.msg4508190), I was worried and searched its background in detail, hence I found why its account is in poland. The company is not registered in Poland and Aamir is no longer in the company, hence their only relationship to Poland is the bank account, for historical reasons.

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:46:30 PM

I think now I found the reason. Aamir, [...] and he is a Polish citizen.

Roll Eyes

Source?

Roll Eyes

Signature space available for rent.
zhangweiwu (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:17:49 AM

I think now I found the reason. Aamir, [...] and he is a Polish citizen.

Roll Eyes

Source?

Roll Eyes

It was mentioned to me in a personal email to me from other members of this forum who suffer from Intersango's not-any-withdraw-proceesed-for-6-weeks like I do. Since you questioned about it, I looked up wikipedia and found that untrue. Amir Taaki is a British citizen. So, the question why they choose poland remain open.

That same email cited that Amir Taaki is no longer associated with Intersango, so now I have to question that as well, but couldn't find any source answering that. It is important to me personally, because there are 3-years worth of salary of bitcoins that I deposited into Intersango and as soon as people complain withdraws are put on hold (early January 2014), I requested withdraw, and the request is put on hold "Waiting for staff action" (still is). So you see I have an interest to find out what is happening.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: