Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:20:48 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how do you guys buy your coins?  (Read 1025 times)
Rickyrozay (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:19:45 AM

What website or service do you use and what are the fees?

Thanks.
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 06:24:38 AM

I use bitcoin.de

J603

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:13:09 PM

I use VirWoX most of the time. You can use credit/debit and the transaction is instant. There is a transaction limit however, which means that for the first few weeks you won't be making any huge trades. Be wary though as my cc company (Citizen's) thought that the transactions were suspicious and they denied a few before I called them and told them what I was doing. Fee is .01 BTC to send and something like .5% commission. Not very high. Goes down the more transactions you make.

I haven't used Bitinstant since it hasn't been working for a while, but one of my friends did and he said it was a good, fast site. I don't know the fees but I think that they're low as well.

I also used Moneypaktrader... but that was a waste of time as the commission was ridiculous (20% minimum!), and from what I've seen on the forums the owner of the site isn't very courteous. I also didn't like how he chooses when to cash the moneypak for bitcoins. I placed the order when they were in the 70s, but he didn't process it until 3 days later when they were 100. This is scummy because the site says it should take 24-48 hours, and he clearly just waited until the exchange was most profitable. Won't be using that site and can't recommend it.

Edit: Added fees
blammo

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:33:23 PM

J603, thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.  Converting USD to bitcoin is also a stumbling block for me... I think I have it more or less figured out... but I don't want to lose my shirt in fees!
orymh

Activity: 167

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 10:25:49 PM

BitInstant is good when they're up. They're not the cheapest, but not entirely unreasonable - about 4% plus a few extra bucks for the other companies involved in their process. No word yet whether those fees will change when they open up again.

Coinbase (https://coinbase.com/?r=51a5b0d3867ba8db8e00000c) is my preferred method. You link a bank account, then buy BTC directly with funds in your linked account. They charge a flat 1% fee for all buying and selling; sending BTC to another wallet is free. I have a walkthrough for Coinbase here: http://www.bit-buddy.com/buying-bitcoins-on-coinbase.html.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can buy physical Casascius Bitcoins (https://www.casascius.com/). The guy who makes them only accepts Bitcoin for payment, though. You can buy Casascius for dollars on ebay, Craigslist, and the marketplace in these forums, but be very careful - there's no shortage of scammers when it comes to this stuff.

statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:51:23 PM

BTCQUICK

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
Drug5bitz

Activity: 123

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:55:50 PM

Coinbase.com ftw!!!!

If you would like to donate to my jalapeno mods, or just buy me a b33r it's all appreciated.

BTC Address 1DX24XAojH2qjAgFzbME81o9BD3yDjfGLR
holy_pie

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:08:11 PM

I use bitstamp. They ask a 0.5% fee for trading.

Deposit of euros is free of charge. So buying coins is really cheap.

Withdrawal of funds costs one euro per sepa transfer. (If you ever want to sell your coins)

Seems pretty reasonable to me. If you know any better ways please tell me Smiley
pkrbeats

Activity: 5

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:15:59 PM

Wel I'm hoping to do some buying through respectable members here on the forum in the near future, as soon as I can post actually.
Gentle_bend

Activity: 16

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:24:34 PM

Bitcurex, especially if you buy with PLN or EUR (their bank is in Poland)
On the other hand the additional security around changing BTC address where you want to withdraw your funds can be annoying...
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:25:40 PM

I bought silver from local coin shop and sold it on bitmit.

fees were -15%, that is to say i made profit.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3273

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:26:08 PM

localbitcoins.com

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Hondaguy

Activity: 7

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 12:38:30 AM

I also use local bitcoins. I think it's probably the easiest safest way to do it. Just make sure if you try and buy btc on this forum it is with a long time trusted member.
superpatosainz

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 12:55:48 AM

I try to find the email addresses of people who live in the same city as me and have bitcoins and ask them if they are willing to sell some, then I arrange a meeting in person and exchange cash for bitcoins.
ManuelGomez

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 04:26:54 AM

I use bitinstant. Best way to buy bitcoin in my opinion. Or you could use local bitcoins like the others have said.
BoozeHoundPoker

Activity: 406
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 04:46:27 AM

We are proud customers of CampBX.

Great site, simple interface, and usually cheaper prices than MtGox.  Check it out for yourself.

Cheesy
WuLabsWuTecH

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 07:48:11 AM

We are proud customers of CampBX.

Great site, simple interface, and usually cheaper prices than MtGox.  Check it out for yourself.

Cheesy

I also use campbx, but beware that their site is down more often than it is up for me, at least empirically recently.  5-10 minutes to load a webpage on their site is no an uncommon occurrence.
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 08:08:18 AM

This exchange: https://fbtcexchange.com

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
primedigger

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:25:07 AM

mtgox and bitstamp.
DennisD7

Activity: 131

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:57:45 AM

I did use Localbitcoins for my first buys, but then I realised MtGox has much better rates. It does take much longer to make bank transfers though, so it's not for the impatient ones.

Proud ASIC miner and long term Bitcoin investor
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: