Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:34:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin address blacklist Database  (Read 4655 times)
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:43:20 PM

I think this is backwards.

I would rather there be a white list of trusted addresses. Kind of how Satoshi Dice worked.

Every person who sends a payment could go to a site and post a signed message and give feedback/rating just like on Ebay.

Have a question about the address you're sending payment to? Look it up.

Selling on a forum and need to switch? Well now you can take that karma with you when you move.

So I offer a service to paint your adress white by spamming it with dust. Now what?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hayek

Activity: 370
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:04:40 PM

Implement a minimum transaction amount?

The Miner's get bonus in the block reward?

What you are doing is called moving the goal post
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 09:59:16 PM

Thanks for suggesting new business ideas. Addresses laundering, blacklist removal services, trust-building services to get white-listed...

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
melon

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 11:37:26 PM

as long as blacklists are voluntary and not enforced at the protocol level and independent blacklist agencies to choose from  in case one does not suit your fancy ...the question is how would the blocking be implemented manually when a tx occurs? (auto address check against a chosen imported list w flagging) think(POS) point of sale ...also, how would individual nodes know to invalidate a tx unless it WAS enforced at the protocol level,  is the second ?

Once was a man his name was Jed..had a lot of hair but it wasn't on his head !
tmbp

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 12:10:55 AM

Can't we make that and monitor incoming and outgoing transaction and reject payments coming from these blacklisted address?

ofcource i know people can change bitcoin address but we will still know that funds are coming from a blacklisted wallet untill they use a mixer.

Just think about a big database (like spammers database) filled with criminals/scammers bitcoin address?

People can use a site to report bitcoin address, scammed amount and other details and they will be able to search any bitcoin address in that database also.

Then I'd be the first to blacklist your address because I'm an ass  Tongue
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:46:33 PM

Oh man, I can't believe it.
I just went to the grocery store and couldn't buy my frozen burritos because they looked up the serial number and the 5 dollar bill I tried to use had been stolen from a 7-11 four years ago.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
Plazmotech

Activity: 54
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 12:22:49 AM

This isn't going to happen.

ok King Trade Fortress.
HAH, you are stupid and your opinion doesn't matters.

Neither does yours.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 12:32:05 AM

This isn't going to happen.

Yes, it will happen even if you like it or not, just watch.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
razorfishsl

Activity: 399

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 10:51:18 PM

Can't we make that and monitor incoming and outgoing transaction and reject payments coming from these blacklisted address?

ofcource i know people can change bitcoin address but we will still know that funds are coming from a blacklisted wallet untill they use a mixer.

Just think about a big database (like spammers database) filled with criminals/scammers bitcoin address?

People can use a site to report bitcoin address, scammed amount and other details and they will be able to search any bitcoin address in that database also.

It is a stupid idea by a stupid person.
who seems to forget that you can generate (2^160) bitcoin addresses... more than there are stars in the universe.

If anything a Whitelist  ... might be a better option... but what is to stop a scammer poisoning the whitelist. thereby making it useless.

I.E add several billion random "good clean" addresses to the list, then gradually use them for fraud.. Should just be enough for their lifetime....

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
ralphjb

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:23:20 AM

Sure, let's approach a currency centered around decentralized anonymity by building a fucking DATABASE of people in it, THAT's a genius idea right there.

Not to be a prick but your idea is stupid both in principle and practice. Not only would it fly in the face of bitcoiners everywhere but it would essentially be impossible to implement because as has been pointed out, changing your wallet address is as simple as spending another 2 minutes on a web page and making a new email, which kids have been doing for Myspace since the mid 00's.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:51:33 AM

You would have to get 51% of miners to cooperate for a blacklist to work completely. I don't think that is likely to happen.

... it would essentially be impossible to implement because ... changing your wallet address is as simple as spending another 2 minutes on a web page and making a new email...

Perhaps you overlooked the fact that you would still have to send the bitcoins from the blacklisted address to the new address. A blacklist would prevent that.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 01:52:00 PM

Perhaps you overlooked the fact that you would still have to send the bitcoins from the blacklisted address to the new address. A blacklist would prevent that.

A blacklist would only prevent that if the miners agreed to blacklist it at the blockchain level.
They won't because as soon as they did, an altcoin would take over and all the bitcoin they mined would be worthless.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
whydifficult

Activity: 287

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 02:00:57 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2013, 02:22:34 PM by whydifficult

You would have to get 51% of miners to cooperate for a blacklist to work completely. I don't think that is likely to happen.

Put centralization in the protocol? With a link to a single entity that can render all coins on an address useless? As you've said that is definitely never going to happen: First the devs / foundation will never get convinced this is a good idea, after that no miner / node I know of would ever update to such a version, if it does a fork / altcoin is probably going to take over.

It appears to me that at least half of the discussion is about a list not enforced by the network but by the community (on top of Bitcoin itself).

• If a private key gets stolen in almost all cases the owner will find out after the coins have left the wallet, if sent directly offchain (like to Mt. Gox for example) are you going to blacklist the addresses of Mt. Gox?
  • If this list is central in any way every goverment / legal body can attack the list, or poison it with extreme ease. If it isn't it is going to be attacked by basically everyone else because it is the power to control the whole monetary system.
  • And if you have a wallet that has stolen BTC from a blacklisted address 10 transactions back, are you allowed to trade? Hell I can even steal BTC, send them to random people to have them blacklisted ?
  • if I don't know about the list / don't got the most recent version / etc. and I meet up with someone and buy some Bitcoin I can't use them at all?
  • Good luck finding a way on determining who scammed who in basically the whole scammer accusation forum.
  • What if you later find out about coins that were stolen x time ago but are now distributed across the whole network?

This would only work when you get all exchange parties on board (including parties like silkroad), somehow deal with mixers / exchanges or other parties that don't want to be obey to a blacklist. After that you have to make sure the database won't get hacked / lobbyd / controlled / spoofed by governments (or IPSs).

And if you find a way to deal with all these problems you just introduced centralization to Bitcoin?

So it's an extremely bad idea and it can never be implemented fairly any way.

EDIT: I would suggest instead of a blacklist that if you are going to trade with anonymous people on the internet and prevent scams from happening in the first place, you use a trusting system like bitcoin-otc. And if your bitcoins got stolen you should have been more careful (it may be hard, but that is the way it is right now).

Gekko a nodejs bitcoin trading bot!
Realtime Bitcoin Globe - visualizing all transactions and blocks
Tip jar (BTC): 1KyQdQ9ctjCrGjGRCWSBhPKcj5omy4gv5S
/dev/null (OP)

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 02:11:04 PM

I bet half of you idiots didn't even read thread properly and jumped on bandwagon.

So I want to say again idiots a blacklist here doesn't means funds will be useless, it just means they are bad address and bad funds.

whydifficult

Activity: 287

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 02:13:15 PM

I bet half of you idiots didn't even read thread properly and jumped on bandwagon.

So I want to say again idiots a blacklist here doesn't means funds will be useless, it just means they are bad address and bad funds.

But what does it matter if no one cares and continues?

This might be a good way for people who just got scammed to blow of some steam, but that's about as far as it will get. And if that was the plan discussed in this post I apologise for ranting about how a blacklist in the sense of the word is a bad idea.

Gekko a nodejs bitcoin trading bot!
Realtime Bitcoin Globe - visualizing all transactions and blocks
Tip jar (BTC): 1KyQdQ9ctjCrGjGRCWSBhPKcj5omy4gv5S
threeip

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 06:19:36 PM

A blacklist is just a whitelist with a different name.

Great idea.

Please add these:

1HNLqLrPEwMk8woA91qwX9sRkatRfQik2T

Done

If we were making a useless list, we could put you on it.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 06:25:15 PM

What's the point? The way Bitcoin works, there is always plausible deniability. Transaction inputs need to add up to outputs+fees - you cannot really "track" coins when there is more than one input.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
pand70

Activity: 476

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 06:33:26 PM

I stopped reading after the "reject payments" thing...

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: