Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 11:38:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should clones be called alternate cryptocurrencies?  (Read 513 times)
AmazonStuff (OP)

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:21:14 AM

Well, don't get me wrong, but only original thing I have seen is Ripple XRP, all other "alternate" currencies are clones. Maybe we need "Clone cryptocurrencies" section on this forum, with subsections divided into origin cryptocurrencies, all that because this board is getting extremely cluttered...
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:26:24 AM

There should be "clone" section of the forum.
thekidcoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

FlutterCoin Developer

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:04:47 PM

Well, don't get me wrong, but only original thing I have seen is Ripple XRP, all other "alternate" currencies are clones. Maybe we need "Clone cryptocurrencies" section on this forum, with subsections divided into origin cryptocurrencies, all that because this board is getting extremely cluttered...
All except bitcoin are clones that just did a small amount of modification, or a large amount of modification, so I don't see your point.

1MYL967PR52xiNtqSP9WphRvPzKZDjBdxn
MikeCryptoIndustries

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:47:04 PM

I believe an alt is anything that has not proved it individuality from the rest of the established currencies. For this reason BTC, LTC and NMC I believe are currencies in their own right and not alts. I think a good definition would be alt = immature currency with no real difference from current ones.
mistercoin
Legendary

Activity: 1044
Merit: 1000

https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 02:11:36 PM

I believe an alt is anything that has not proved it individuality from the rest of the established currencies. For this reason BTC, LTC and NMC I believe are currencies in their own right and not alts. I think a good definition would be alt = immature currency with no real difference from current ones.

How is NMC or PPC or TRC, etc "Immature"?. They are what  the category states they are. Alternate Cryptocurrencies.

Definition of those 2 words:

Alternate:
n. (-nt)
1. A person acting in the place of another; a substitute.
2. An alternative.
-- Online Dictionary

Cryptocurrency:
A cryptocurrency is a type of digital currency (which in turn is a type of alternative currency) that relies on cryptography, usually alongside a proof-of-work scheme, in order to create and manage the currency --Wikipedia

In the definition of Cryptocurrency, wikipedia even goes on to say that
Cryptocurrencies are peer-to-peer and decentralized, and are based on the first cryptocurrency, Bitcoin.

Ripple is not "decentralized" as it is not controlled by the people (p2p) it is made and given out by the issuer (miner) which makes it the opposite of a p2p currency.

Grin

Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 02:13:12 PM

In my opinion anything other than the dominant cryptocurrency is an alt. Right now Bitcoin has an overwhelming market share. It shouldn't be Theymos' job to distinguish which alternatives are sufficiently innovative or mature.

As great as Namecoin is, it could eventually be replaced by colored coins or something else layered on top of (not next to) the Bitcoin blockchain. Litecoin was really well planned and is really well organized/maintained, but it's ultimately a Tenebrix "clone". We can't even categorize Ripple until they release the damn source.
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 02:16:38 PM

I have been trying to get the alt section cleared up and they wont do anything as this forum is for BTC that's why I made my altcoin forum  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: